LSU-Alabama for national title ... ?

westsider

If the LSU-Alabama game is close and, say, Oklahoma comes up with a loss somewhere along the way, is it possible that the Tigers and Tide could meet again for the national championship?

You can make a pretty good argument that they're the top two teams in the country, and isn't that what the BCS is supposed to give us in the title game?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could happen but it shouldn't happen. I think you need to give another team a chance at beating them because it seems only fitting that pit two teams that haven't played each other all year in the National Championship game.
What's fitting is the two best teams playing for the title ... Alabama and LSU could very well be those two teams.

I think it really depends on how other teams finish. Both teams being out of the SEC West probably hurts the loser. There is a very similar scenario between Oklahoma/Oklahoma State being on the same side of the Big 12. All of these teams still have to win their other games too; I'm sure many are not thinking they will lose others, including myself, but anything can happen.

If the LSU-Alabama game is close and, say, Oklahoma comes up with a loss somewhere along the way, is it possible that the Tigers and Tide could meet again for the national championship?

You can make a pretty good argument that they're the top two teams in the country, and isn't that what the BCS is supposed to give us in the title game?

The same thing was said about Ohio State and Michigan, especially after they met as 1 and 2 in a close game to end their regular seasons. The BCS got it right, though, putting a one loss Florida at #2 and in the championship game over Michigan. Not only did OSU get annihilated by the Gators, the Wolverines went down to USC, by 2 touchdowns.

IMO, an undefeated Oklahoma State or Wisconsin would play the winner of the LSU/Bama game over a rematch. If the only other undefeated is Boise State, well that may be another matter of debate.

The same thing was said about Ohio State and Michigan, especially after they met as 1 and 2 in a close game to end their regular seasons. The BCS got it right, though, putting a one loss Florida at #2 and in the championship game over Michigan. Not only did OSU get annihilated by the Gators, the Wolverines went down to USC, by 2 touchdowns.

IMO, an undefeated Oklahoma State or Wisconsin would play the winner of the LSU/Bama game over a rematch. If the only other undefeated is Boise State, well that may be another matter of debate.

Exactly.

While we can assume that it appears the SEC has the best 2 teams this year, we will never know unless we match them up with the best team the rest of the nation has to offer. When teams play completely different opponents, its hard to gauge exactly how they would compare with one another and even then, those games can be deceiving.

There is a very similar scenario between Oklahoma/Oklahoma State being on the same side of the Big 12. All of these teams still have to win their other games too.

There are no more sides in the Big XII. All 10 teams are playing each other once and their is no championship game. If either Oklahoma or Oklahoma State goes undefeated, not having to play a conference championship game might be beneficial to them.

:thumb:

I agree on Oklahoma State and Wisconsin. Boise State does not deserve to get in. Their biggest screw-up was losing last season to Nevada.

If the game is close such as the UM/tOSU game was a few years back, this game has a chance of happening again more-so the tOSU/UM because the SEC has won every national title going back to that year. I still would not be shocked to see both teams at least have one loss by the end of the year.

Possible, but unlikely. Assuming either Alabama or LSU remains undefeated at the end, if any other team from an automatic qualifying conference goes undefeated that is the National Championship game IMO. If Oklahoma/Oklahoma St/Kansas St, Wisconsin, Clemson, or Stanford goes undefeated one of them will end up #2.

We get the Alabama/LSU matchup. We don't need the BCS to make it for us.

The loser of that game most certainly should not leapfrog an undefeated team.

If everyone else (other than the winner of the 'Bama/LSU) finishes with a loss, I'd still just as soon see that winner play a school from another conference. But, at that point, all bets are off, and I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Again, assuming the winner of the game is the only undefeated, I think it would be much tougher to justify excluding LSU from a rematch rather than Alabama. No other school could match LSU's one-loss resume. Great OOC wins away from Baton Rouge and their only loss would be a close call in Tuscaloosa. A one-loss 'Bama resume wouldn't be nearly as impressive with a road win @ Penn State being their best OOC and the only loss, while to the #1 team, would be on their home field.

If Alabama loses on its home field it would be hard to argue for a rematch, but LSU could IMO.