What is NKY's biggest football rivalry?

jbwill2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. I am not from there, but my dads family is from Bellevue &my moms family is from Dayton and over the years I just haven't seen /heard much disdain, but it is a fantastic rivalry and I am always interested in the score.

I would've liked to see this game more in say 1966 or 1979 than now.

Based on your quote it's quite obvious you've never been to any sporting event between these two schools. Do the games have major implications to anyone outside of the two schools? Probably not. But they mean the world to those involved. And THAT is the meaning of a RIVALRY.

Are we saying it based on all of NKY? If not, I can't imagine any rivalry being bigger than Bellevue/Dayton.HHS/CCH is strong.

CCH/BW is strong.

CCH/Dixie is strong.

This one gets my vote as well. Here is a link to a story from 2 years ago about the series. Love how they had ESPN's Lee Corso show up for pep rally.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2009/09/21/bellevue-dayton-rivaly-draws-a-celebrity/

With regard to current rivalries, I am surprised no one has mentioned Highlands-Ryle. They have played 4 times in two years (and are due to play later this year), and Ryle is the only NKY team to beat HHS since 2006!!!!

Still too young. IMO Ryle is too young of a school to really be in discussion of biggest NKY rivalry with any school, just not enough history yet. It's not their fault and they may have some great rivalries, I just put those rivalries behind a lot of others because the others have more history to with the great rivavlry.

CovCath--Highlands by a large margin. Beechies and NCC used to be really big when they were in the same class, but now kind of an afterthought. Boone & Conner in the day was pretty big, as was SK-Dixie. Nothing close to CCH--Highlands though--District foes, multiple state championships where the winner of these two became the state favorite, etc.

With regard to current rivalries, I am surprised no one has mentioned Highlands-Ryle. They have played 4 times in two years (and are due to play later this year), and Ryle is the only NKY team to beat HHS since 2006!!!!

Competitive games, yes. I don't feel the rivalry aspect though.

About a tie between Dayton/Bellevue and Highlands/CCH. I know that Dayton and Bellevue has clearly had up and down years, but this game is still very big regardless of how things are going for both teams. I had a lot of fun playing in this game back when I did and it is still a fun one to go to. It almost broke my heart when Dayton and Bellevue stopped playing twice during the regular season like we used to.

Based on your quote it's quite obvious you've never been to any sporting event between these two schools. Do the games have major implications to anyone outside of the two schools? Probably not. But they mean the world to those involved. And THAT is the meaning of a RIVALRY.

Spot on Bulldog. You really have to be a part of it to truly know. Same could be said about other schools but this one tops all IMO.

About a tie between Dayton/Bellevue and Highlands/CCH. I know that Dayton and Bellevue has clearly had up and down years, but this game is still very big regardless of how things are going for both teams. I had a lot of fun playing in this game back when I did and it is still a fun one to go to. It almost broke my heart when Dayton and Bellevue stopped playing twice during the regular season like we used to.

The twice a year contest was really cool. Unfortunately when Dayton hired a new football coach in the early 2000's he felt his team did not benefit from playing twice thus it ended. But this rivalry from a standpoint of being intense it definitely is, and means everything in those two communities. For impact on state championships and playoff implications CovCath/Highlands is the rivalry.

The twice a year contest was really cool. Unfortunately when Dayton hired a new football coach in the early 2000's he felt his team did not benefit from playing twice thus it ended. But this rivalry from a standpoint of being intense it definitely is, and means everything in those two communities. For impact on state championships and playoff implications CovCath/Highlands is the rivalry.

When Dayton and Bellevue played twice during the regular season, the second game typically represented the one to go on to playoffs and one to stay home back when things were much different than they are now. The NKY Class A district was tough as nails back then when it still had Newport Catholic and Lloyd.