What is NKY's biggest football rivalry?

jbwill2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bellevue v. Dayton? I know it's the oldest and while both hold state titles this game hasn't meant a thing in awhile. I do like the whole neighborhood thing too...

SK / Ryle that's gotta be a joke!

Anybody v. Dixie is not the biggest.

CCH v. HHS is good, but has stints of one-sidedness

I'm goin with NCC v. Highlands- such a heated rivalry it has been discontinued since '95 or '96 so Ft. Thomas doesn't have a civil war! Now that's a rivalry!

I just meant in terms of playoff/state tourney/NKY or state ranking significance.

Also, check out the attendance at these games. I'm pretty sure there were tix leftover at the end of the night.

Finally, I lived in Bellevue from'99-'04 right on the border and the two fan bases got along well and it just didn't seem all that heated. Don't get me wrong there were bragging rights, but both sides knew beating Beechwood would be a bigger deal.

JMO.

Absolutely correct! You have two schools (Bellevue and Dayton) who are approximately one mile from each other. The street signs in Dayton are green and they are black in Bellevue. Go see O'Fallon Drive (the dividing line) where each city has a street sign on their respective side of the street. Are these schools periennial powers? No. But there is a true dislike for each other. Thus making this a great rivalry.

I just meant in terms of playoff/state tourney/NKY or state ranking significance.

Also, check out the attendance at these games. I'm pretty sure there were tix leftover at the end of the night.

Finally, I lived in Bellevue from'99-'04 right on the border and the two fan bases got along well and it just didn't seem all that heated. Don't get me wrong there were bragging rights, but both sides knew beating Beechwood would be a bigger deal.

JMO.

Gotcha.

As to "gets along well" I guess it's a matter of semantics. I have witnessed the interaction at basketball games and it's intense ON and OFF of the court. It's the truest of "neighborhood rivalries."

Lastly, I'd say there's a chance it doesn't resonate for you since it sounds like you're not from there.

It is an intense rivalry albeit very recent. It certainly can turn into one of the top rivalries.

If Boone gets to a better level, which they seem to be this season, I would think that they are the more natural rival with Ryle. I know some Boone people and they have quite the disdain for the Raiders.

Good point. I am not from there, but my dads family is from Bellevue &my moms family is from Dayton and over the years I just haven't seen /heard much disdain, but it is a fantastic rivalry and I am always interested in the score.

I would've liked to see this game more in say 1966 or 1979 than now.

I'd have to go with NCC/Bwood. CC/Highlands is also a heated rivalry, but, not really been as competitive for the most part as the NCC/Bwood games. It seems NCC/Bwood are always pretty evenly matched with no clearcut favorite and it usually has big implications on a statewide level as well as a local level.