Obamas Speech

cammando

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible that Heritage and standwitharizona lean just a teensy bit to the right. Not entirely sure, as my intelligence often gets called into question these days - just a guess.

To be honest, I had forgotten that it was on. I was watching the NFL Network's runup to opening night.

I agreed with the President on a number of issues. I liked that he wanted more manufacturing and the whole "Made in America" was good. I like how he outlined how he would support tax cuts and incentives for those who hired people who have been "unemployed" for the past 6 months. Lastly, I liked the tax cuts he is willing to deal with.

There are things I don't liked but I just wanted to focus on what is good with the program.

I agreed with the President on a number of issues. I liked that he wanted more manufacturing and the whole "Made in America" was good. I like how he outlined how he would support tax cuts and incentives for those who hired people who have been "unemployed" for the past 6 months. Lastly, I liked the tax cuts he is willing to deal with.

There are things I don't liked but I just wanted to focus on what is good with the program.

I did not watch. What was in the "not like" column?

It's far and away the best thing he's done in a while. He had a fire that a lot of people have been clamoring for over a long time. Without analyzing the thing too deeply, it appeared to be a hodgepodge of bipartisan plans many have claimed will stimulate the economy - most notably a handful of tax reductions for businesses and the middle class and a requirement that Congress figure out how to pay for it by the deadline of the debt-ceiling compromise bill. There was red meat for Republicans and red meat for Democrats, but both would sides would have to hold their noses a bit to pass the thing. Of course, that wasn't the extent of it. It was probably foremost an electoral volley to put the ball in the Republicans' court. If they vote for this bill or a close approximation they are cutting themselves off at the knees in attacking Obama as they become complicit in his efforts to stimulate the economy. If they vote against it or refuse it, they appear to be refusing to indulge the president anything, even if it is a very moderate, bipartisan type bill designed to help the economy. That heaps on the charge that they are petty and outright against him, not just his policies, and that they care more about elections than the economy.

From my reading, the president is expecting the latter result and plans to lay into it in the way I described. Frankly, I think it was a deft piece of political maneuvering and something I don't think Republicans can successfully counter without some heavy creativity. Beyond that, it also tells me the president is beginning to feel the nipping at his heels and he's adjusting to react to it (there were a lot of pieces of that speech that rebutted much of the Republican debate last night almost symmetrically).

I did not watch. What was in the "not like" column?

He hinted to raising capital gains tax with his Warren Buffet comment about not paying as much taxes as his secretary. Like Habib said, he put them in a position that will A) look bad to their constituents if they pass it and taxes are raised and B) look bad to independents, potential voters, and the left if R's refuse to pass it. I did not like that it is a half-a-billion dollar stimulus package. Its almost as if he is being really stubborn and keeps saying "No! I promise, spending will get us out of this! Even though I am on route to spend more than any other two presidents combined all while unemployment is going up."

He put himself in a good situation. If it is passed and even if it fails he will look better for making bi-partisan efforts. Something that has been lacking.

If the R's pass it, it may hurt them taking the senate and maybe even keeping the House. If they don't, they look good to some of their constituents but at the same time it looks as if they aren't doing enough to be bi-partisan and they are still stuck in the same position making the voters very frustrated and having the want to voting in new people.

I really wish I could get the legislation as a desk drop at work, I think it's imprortant for people to understand and know what's going on and as active as I am in politics I feel like more so than not, I, me, we, they, them, us don't really understand how things are put into law and what's going on. We hear media bites, not what's real. That's what disgusts me about media and politics now.

It was probably foremost an electoral volley to put the ball in the Republicans' court. If they vote for this bill or a close approximation they are cutting themselves off at the knees in attacking Obama as they become complicit in his efforts to stimulate the economy. If they vote against it or refuse it, they appear to be refusing to indulge the president anything, even if it is a very moderate, bipartisan type bill designed to help the economy. That heaps on the charge that they are petty and outright against him, not just his policies, and that they care more about elections than the economy.

From my reading, the president is expecting the latter result and plans to lay into it in the way I described. Frankly, I think it was a deft piece of political maneuvering and something I don't think Republicans can successfully counter without some heavy creativity. Beyond that, it also tells me the president is beginning to feel the nipping at his heels and he's adjusting to react to it (there were a lot of pieces of that speech that rebutted much of the Republican debate last night almost symmetrically).

I agree with this.

Do you believe the President is doing what he feels is best for the country in this? Or do you think this is all just one big political maneuver, utilized only to paint the GOP as the bad guys?