Obamas Speech

cammando

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Positive.

Bush Bucks didn't work. Obama's much larger stimulus didn't either. Unemployment, for example, is almost a full percent higher now than it was when ARRA was first enacted.

But the link had cool charts...that means it had to work. Oh, that's right we're still in a recession and UE is still above 9%.

But the link had cool charts...that means it had to work. Oh, that's right we're still in a recession and UE is still above 9%.

I know, I know, we just need to cut taxes even lower than 1950 levels, deregulate every industry we can and the confidence fairy will float down with it's confidence dust and spur business to start creating jobs and manufacturing again. Silly me, who needs charts when you have the confidence fairy.

I know, I know, we just need to cut taxes even lower than 1950 levels, deregulate every industry we can and the confidence fairy will float down with it's confidence dust and spur business to start creating jobs and manufacturing again. Silly me, who needs charts when you have the confidence fairy.

I thought you told me that the first trillion wasn't enough. It was only good enough for a roughly two years and that he should of gotten more money. Are you saying that this new deal only worth not even half of the previous stimulus will fix our economy? Does he need more or do you think it is okay that he spends money, which according to you, won't fix it very long. A bandage rather than a cure. You need to start making up your mind.

I thought you told me that the first trillion wasn't enough.

I did and it wasn't.

It was only good enough for a roughly two years and that he should of gotten more money.

He should have, a very half hearted effort out of our Congress, but interestingly enough the major investment banks got exactly what they needed.

Are you saying that this new deal only worth not even half of the previous stimulus will fix our economy?

It will not, may lower UE by a percent or two but nothing will fix our economy when easy, cheap and unregulated labor exists over seas. When a bill is introduced to fix that I will know someone is serious about Unemployment but it's not happening.

Does he need more or do you think it is okay that he spends money, which according to you, won't fix it very long. A bandage rather than a cure. You need to start making up your mind.

My mind is and has been made up and as I referenced before every effort will be a bandage until the something happens to either deter companies from shipping manufacturing jobs overseas or offers at least an equal incentive to get them to leave the jobs here or create some. Simply offering tax cuts hoping that jobs are created is the great laffer curve fallacy, all that does is allow corporations and "the job creators" to sit on cash which if you've been paying attention US companies are hording at this time. So given the information that US companies/corporations aren't individuals and are completely bottom line driven(no patriotism) and will not voluntarily keep jobs here at a higher labor cost someone has to fill the job creator need. If Obama or our Congress is serious about UE especially long term UE the government has to be the one to create them until something changes in China and India, with tariffs or domestic labor policy in the form of New Deal era labor programs. So yes it should be more or it is a bandaid a very small one. I haven't seen any suggestions from you, what would you do?

I thought you told me that the first trillion wasn't enough.

I did and it wasn't.

It was only good enough for a roughly two years and that he should of gotten more money.

He should have, a very half hearted effort out of our Congress, but interestingly enough the major investment banks got exactly what they needed.

Are you saying that this new deal only worth not even half of the previous stimulus will fix our economy?

It will not, may lower UE by a percent or two but nothing will fix our economy when easy, cheap and unregulated labor exists over seas. When a bill is introduced to fix that I will know someone is serious about Unemployment but it's not happening.

Does he need more or do you think it is okay that he spends money, which according to you, won't fix it very long. A bandage rather than a cure. You need to start making up your mind.

My mind is and has been made up and as I referenced before every effort will be a bandage until the something happens to either deter companies from shipping manufacturing jobs overseas or offers at least an equal incentive to get them to leave the jobs here or create some. Simply offering tax cuts hoping that jobs are created is the great laffer curve fallacy, all that does is allow corporations and "the job creators" to sit on cash which if you've been paying attention US companies are hording at this time. So given the information that US companies/corporations aren't individuals and are completely bottom line driven(no patriotism) and will not voluntarily keep jobs here at a higher labor cost someone has to fill the job creator need. If Obama or our Congress is serious about UE especially long term UE the government has to be the one to create them until something changes in China and India, with tariffs or domestic labor policy in the form of New Deal era labor programs. So yes it should be more or it is a bandaid a very small one. I haven't seen any suggestions from you, what would you do?

And what about this piece of crap bill or the previous piece of crap bill will/did accomplish that? Your kidding yourself if you think spending trillions of dollars will fix the problem. I think we've proven it won't. But instead of learning the lesson the POTUS is showing he doesn't have a clue and repeating past failures.

And what about this piece of crap bill or the previous piece of crap bill will/did accomplish that? Your kidding yourself if you think spending trillions of dollars will fix the problem. I think we've proven it won't. But instead of learning the lesson the POTUS is showing he doesn't have a clue and repeating past failures.

Do you, or anyone else woodsrider, have an idea of what can be done to deter companies from sending manufacturing jobs outside of the US? I believe that this is the heart and soul of the recovery issue.

I honestly don't know what can be done but would love to hear some ideas from much better minds than my own.

Do you, or anyone else woodsrider, have an idea of what can be done to deter companies from sending manufacturing jobs outside of the US? I believe that this is the heart and soul of the recovery issue.

I honestly don't know what can be done but would love to hear some ideas from much better minds than my own.

I agree with you. IMO, you have to level the playing field with Asia. Either with tariffs on imported goods or incentives for manufacturing in the states. Some on here like to write off the effects that piling on regulations have on business but that simply shows they have absolutely no clue. I'm not saying we cut companies lose to do what they want but the fact is regulations kill progress. I'm not going to act like I have all the answers but I anyone that can't see that stimulus doesn't work has been living under a rock for the last 2 years.

This President is not going to get it done. He has alienated Wall Street since he took office and now realizes he needs business on his side to get things done. He made the fateful error of going after health care first, and made alot of enemies in the process. Business does not trust him and for good reason. They are stalling him out, because he went after them, and with all of the uncertainty of the tax situation, and attempts to create class warfare, he is a already a lame duck President. If the country elects him again, and who knows, maybe they will, this inertia will take place for at least 5 more years. I personally hope he isn't re-elected and we can move on to a true consensus builder...(D or R).

I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Obama was elected because of his promise to reform healthcare. That was the key issue in his campaign. If he did not go after that right away, he would have broken one of if not his main campaign promise. We can all debate the form that his healthcare plan took but there is no doubt this country wanted healthcare reform and a lot of people voted for Obama because of his promise to do just that ... and he did.

Doesn't this proposed bill include a lot of ideas that Republicans are pushing for? Do you think those ideas are bad also?

I agree with you. IMO, you have to level the playing field with Asia. Either with tariffs on imported goods or incentives for manufacturing in the states. Some on here like to write off the effects that piling on regulations have on business but that simply shows they have absolutely no clue. I'm not saying we cut companies lose to do what they want but the fact is regulations kill progress. I'm not going to act like I have all the answers but I anyone that can't see that stimulus doesn't work has been living under a rock for the last 2 years.
what regulations besides Obama care , EPA and OSHA rules . Do you want the country to take on the look of a country like Romania . more and bigger Love canals ?

what regulations besides Obama care , EPA and OSHA rules . Do you want the country to take on the look of a country like Romania . more and bigger Love canals ?

I do think there needs to some major reform and streamlining in government regulations. Isn't there a paper reduction act that was supposed to help with this? I also think government needs to become focused on helping business instead of micro-managing business with regulations.

I do think there needs to some major reform and streamlining in government regulations. Isn't there a paper reduction act that was supposed to help with this? I also think government needs to become focused on helping business instead of micro-managing business with regulations.
Again Name some regulations that hurt ? Elucidate .