Bengals - Will they Shock Us?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said I would stay out of it, but I can't. He isn't coming back and the Bengals supposedly like Dalton and he has the "it" factor. You need to sell high and CP had his most value that they could have ever got from him this year. Brown won't move him. He's too stubborn. They could have gotten a pick for him, but Brown wants to win this "battle". Great. He wins. The players, fans and organization lose.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-wetzel_carson_palmer_mike_brown_bengals072611

And here is where Bengals owner Mike Brown’s unfortunate vision for the franchise comes into play. He isn’t looking forward, as in: How do I position my team, and my young quarterback for this and other seasons to come?

No, Mike Brown is looking backward, looking at the 2005 contract extension that Palmer signed to keep him in Cincinnati through the 2014 season. Brown calls that a “commitment.” And since Palmer isn’t living up to his part, Brown isn’t going to let him out by trading him for the players and/or draft picks that can help the Bengals and Andy Dalton.

Thats great that Dalton has the "it" factor, doesn't mean it will help out much this year. They believe they can win this year, but their best chance is still with Palmer. Aaron Rodgers apparently had "it" but the best thing that could have happened to him probably was waiting a few years. They have built for the future on offense, but can still win now if Palmer played. So this is their best chance of getting him to play still. If he really does retire and doesn't come back then trade him. Most people seem to think they could still get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him even if they wait until next year. However this way they can see where that pick would be.

Did Bryant sign a 1 year deal?

You think Bob Kraft would drive down the value of a tradeable asset by being stubborn? He's shown he's willing to trade stars that become a problem so that is so far off it's funny.

They trade guys who cause trouble and could still do well without. However if the player is an important piece and does not get in trouble they have shown that they will keep them if it helps the team. Just look at their pro bowl guard last year, he was sitting out games which obviously is not good for the team. Yet they refused to trade him or to give him his long term contract he wanted. Didn't hear anyone say the Pats were not being smart about that.

If Carson shows up in week 1 or 4 or sometime this season, then this decision by Mikey will have a huge impact on winning this year. Nothing could have more impact on the Bengals chances of winning this year than having your veteran QB who has worked with these players for several years get back on the field. I think the main reason you don't give in is because winning this year is critical. Stand firm, hope CP has a change of mind (like virtually every player in NFL history has) and if not, then you re-evaluate things at the end of the season.

That I could live with. I just think they've both drawn a line in the sand and Brown would never trade him.

He just said what I been saying all along. That is the Bengals are doing what is in their best interest here, they are trying to call Palmer's bluff if he is bluffing. If he would come back like others have, then that helps the Bengals chances of winning this year. Which if he proves he really won't come, then yes trade him. Which I believe we will see him do if Palmer does sit this year out.

He just said what I been saying all along. That is the Bengals are doing what is in their best interest here, they are trying to call Palmer's bluff if he is bluffing. If he would come back like others have, then that helps the Bengals chances of winning this year. Which if he proves he really won't come, then yes trade him. Which I believe we will see him do if Palmer does sit this year out.

I believe Brown when he says he will make him retire. He's also making a possible asset that he won't trade less valuable if he forces him to sit an entire year.

They trade guys who cause trouble and could still do well without. However if the player is an important piece and does not get in trouble they have shown that they will keep them if it helps the team. Just look at their pro bowl guard last year, he was sitting out games which obviously is not good for the team. Yet they refused to trade him or to give him his long term contract he wanted. Didn't hear anyone say the Pats were not being smart about that.

Here is what Brown and Craft have in common when it comes to football. They both own a team. Mankins didn't threaten to retire. He threatened to sit out until the last possible second because he got screwed by the owners of every team. If you compare anything Craft does to Brown you look foolish.

Did Mankins get what he wanted? Or did Kraft win that one? The team owners will always have the leverage, always. Let's assume that Mankins did threaten to retire. Would Kraft let him retire or trade him? I think he would have let him retire. These egocentric owners do not like to be bullied. It's a no win for the player.

Did Mankins get what he wanted? Or did Kraft win that one? The team owners will always have the leverage, always. Let's assume that Mankins did threaten to retire. Would Kraft let him retire or trade him? I think he would have let him retire. These egocentric owners do not like to be bullied. It's a no win for the player.

He didn't want to leave he wanted paid. Big difference. How many guys have demanded out of NE or talked bad about Kraft or the coaches stayed?

Does Brown know that he has to spend a huge amount of money really soon?

Good question. I would guess they will overspend on Benson and Joseph to eat up some of it. Should be interesting to see what other hacks they will overpay just to get to the cap.

Good question. I would guess they will overspend on Benson and Joseph to eat up some of it. Should be interesting to see what other hacks they will overpay just to get to the cap.

Joseph is on the open market and the Lions and Texans are bidding on him. I'd guess Brwon won't go as high as them. They both have a lot more upside than the Gals.

Well, I guess we have the answer to our thread title - no, the Bengals will not shock us. Prepare for empty seats and ugliness from the fans that are there if the team doesn't win early in the season.

Favre and Moss for this year. When they win 5 games Jon Gruden for next year. Ticket sales through the roof and the people that think holding CP hostage rather than trading him for maximum value will line up like pigs being lead to slaughter.

Consider me shocked...ok, not really....it's being reported Joseph signed with the Texans

With the bungles being 35 million under the cap(I know it may not be that much, but it's in the ballpark), they can't even sign what should have been their number 1 target