Bengals - Will they Shock Us?

I heard on the radio this morning that the Saints are likely to cut him. If they cut him, then the RFA restrictions don't apply, right?

Based on what I am hearing and reading, there may be quite a few name players that are just gonig to be cut by their teams due to the new agreement.

I thought you were talking about Michael Bush.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Marvin Lewis confirmed Tuesday that he has no expectations of Carson Palmer reporting to Bengals camp.

"Carson has retired," said Lewis, who unlike owner Mike Brown has already turned the page. Lewis confirmed that the Bengals will pursue a veteran quarterback to compete with rookie Andy Dalton and Jordan Palmer. Free agent Bruce Gradkowski is a nice fit on paper. Dalton will open camp as Cincinnati's starter.

Per Geoff Hobson-Twitter.

I just don't get Mike Brown's unwillingness to even think about dealing CP. He's obviously not as good as he once was. He's owed a ton of money. They like Daulton. Why not see what's out there and trade him?

I just don't get Mike Brown's unwillingness to even think about dealing CP. He's obviously not as good as he once was. He's owed a ton of money. They like Daulton. Why not see what's out there and trade him?

It's a business rule for Mikey. No player is going to force a trade. He owns Carson. If he feels Carson is still a viable player and is under contract, then he will play for the Bengals or no one else. If a player has outlived his usefullness, he might have a chance to force a deal. But I am sure Mikey sees Carson as a starting NFL QB who he wishes were still the Bengals QB, so he isn't playing for anyone else - end of story.

I've got to say, I see Mike Brown's side on this one. They signed a contract, and Carson doesn't want to hold up his end of the contract, so Mike Brown is going to put the screws to him. Otherwise, he sets the precedent that, "Hey Bengal players, if you don't like the way things are going with your Bengals contract, just threaten Mike Brown and/or say you'll retire and he'll work it out with you."

I look at it the same way as I'd look at any of my construction contracts. If I sign a contract with a mason, and two-thirds of the way through the job he decides he doesn't like doing the job any more, he doesn't just get to walk off the job. It's business.

I've got to say, I see Mike Brown's side on this one. They signed a contract, and Carson doesn't want to hold up his end of the contract, so Mike Brown is going to put the screws to him. Otherwise, he sets the precedent that, "Hey Bengal players, if you don't like the way things are going with your Bengals contract, just threaten Mike Brown and/or say you'll retire and he'll work it out with you."

I look at it the same way as I'd look at any of my construction contracts. If I sign a contract with a mason, and two-thirds of the way through the job he decides he doesn't like doing the job any more, he doesn't just get to walk off the job. It's business.

I agree with Mike honestly. I wouldn't trade him. You signed your $100 Million contract you should honor it. It looks awesome at the time now when things are getting rough (Partly his fault) you want to slither out of it and go somewhere else. Child Please...

I am with you two also. Carson would be a Bengal through this season for sure. I need to see what I have in Dalton before I even think about trading him. If Dalton has a good rookie year and I feel good about him, then I would trade Palmer next off season if I get a high enough draft pick.

I am glad other people are agreeing to not trading Palmer now too. Seemed like I was one of the few people who at the very beginning was saying they should not trade him and make him prove that he will retire. Even though people are down on Palmer, the rest of the league see's that he would be a good addition to a team who needs a QB. The Bengals also know that Palmer still gives them the best chance to win now, so might as well make him prove that he will retire. If he came back then great, because he could help. If he doesn't come back, then you can see what Dalton can do and just trade him next year. The Bengals made the right decision here IMO.

This isn't construction and the contract isn't guaranteed. If Brown thinks he isn't worth the money anymore he can cut him and not have to live up to his end of the contract. If they cut 85 that's exactly what he will be doing. More importantly they are going in another direction and there is at least a 50/50 chance CP isn't any good. Why not get something for him when other teams have said they were willing to look at him? A first round pick or even a 2nd round pick is worth far more to this franchise than letting him walk. Guys wanting out is nothing new around here. I doubt very seriously that changes just because he forced Cp to retire. CP seems like he's too nice to do this, but he's dumb not to just come back out of shape the last possible day he could and still get full pay.

This isn't construction and the contract isn't guaranteed. If Brown thinks he isn't worth the money anymore he can cut him and not have to live up to his end of the contract. If they cut 85 that's exactly what he will be doing. More importantly they are going in another direction and there is at least a 50/50 chance CP isn't any good. Why not get something for him when other teams have said they were willing to look at him? A first round pick or even a 2nd round pick is worth far more to this franchise than letting him walk. Guys wanting out is nothing new around here. I doubt very seriously that changes just because he forced Cp to retire. CP seems like he's too nice to do this, but he's dumb not to just come back out of shape the last possible day he could and still get full pay.

No, it's not construction. That was simply a comparison. If you, as the party holding someone under contract, establish that you do not necessarily hold them to the guidelines of the contract, then you're opening yourself up to a LOT of people taking advantage of you. Mikey B is making sure that isn't the case. Plus VOR and Futurecoach are right...Palmer still could very easily be trade fodder a year from now.

Your first line says it all, I am pretty sure he believes Carson is still worth the money. That is why he is doing this, because this is the best chance still to get Carson to still be a Bengal.