Kentucky Bucket List

Zoot Soup

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying that I disagree with you, but it was an article in a Lexington news outlet. Being from Northern Kentucky, I don't know that I could tell you that much about the other parts of the state.
Then don't name it the Kentucky Bucket list. How about the "Central Kentucky Bucket list with maybe a few attractions from other parts of the state hidden in there"?

Apparently, there is literally nothing worth seeing in NKY. :idunno:

They did mention Rabbit Hash so N. Ky. wasn't completely shut out.

The Cathedral in Covington should definitely be on the list. In addition to what was mentioned above, it includes art work by Frank Duveneck, one of Kentucky's greatest artists.

They did mention Rabbit Hash so N. Ky. wasn't completely shut out.

The Cathedral in Covington should definitely be on the list. In addition to what was mentioned above, it includes art work by Frank Duveneck, one of Kentucky's greatest artists.

Is that old general store with "Rabbit Hash" written on the front still there?

What would you suggest?

I too would have mentioned the Cathedral in Covington as a really good see in NKY. Off the top of my head, there are a number of other possibilities:

1) Creation Museum

2) Peace Bell / Newport on Levi - to ride the Ducks

3) Big Bone Lick State Park - couple cool things there such as Discovery Trail and Outdoor Museum

4) I think I saw a mention of Rabbit Hash for pictures in the article, but yep, a visit to the General Store is pretty neat.

5) I never was too much into the shopping opportunities that exist there, but I do enjoy the opportunity to indulge in a cold beverage in the Main Strasse area. Plenty of different atmosphere's to enjoy. Couple of good food choices as well there. I am sure there are other areas of the state that are similiar, but taking in Main Strasse during Oktoberfest is pretty cool.

6) I hear there is a small fireworks show in Louisville, :D but enjoying the annual end of summer show on the river, from a hillside in NKY such as Devou or NCC, is very enjoyable.

I am sure others can add to this list, but off the top of my head, here is a start.

Some of my favorites in the Louisville Area not on the list:

Thomas Edison House (Special to me, because before it became a registered landmark, waaayyy back in the day, my dad rented a room there when he first came to Louisville)

National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution Genealogical Library

St. James Art Show It's a nightmare if you live in Old Louisville, but an absolute delight if not. :lol:

For that matter, Old Louisville should be on the list.

Zachary Taylor Cemetery and Cave Hill Cemetery. And while at Cave Hill, take a trip to the other side of the wall to Eastern Cemetery for a lesson in the stark contrasts of our heritage. Another beautiful cemetery is St. Louis.

I've got more, but those are some of those I think could have been included. Maybe we should all get our own bucket lists of our area, and we could have a heck of a bucket list when we combine them all! :lol:

It's absolutely spectacular. The downright criminal renovation perpetrated by Archbishop Kelly in Louisville's cathedral makes me extremely jealous of Covington's.

It's absolutely spectacular. The downright criminal renovation perpetrated by Archbishop Kelly in Louisville's cathedral makes me extremely jealous of Covington's.

...the one in Covington from about 12 years back wasn't entirely as drastic, but it changed a lot of things that, in my opinion, had absolutely no need to be changed. First and foremost, they got rid of seating in the cathedral...the diocesan center.

For those who are architecture nerds like me or simply have a fondness for all things old and reverent (also me), the Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption in Covington is, to my mind, the most beautifully built church in Kentucky. Definitely worth a look. To think that construction on it was stopped in 1915 and it's still technically unfinished only makes me wonder how spectacular it would be if they'd completed it. The exterior is modeled on Notre Dame, the interior on the Royal Cathedral of St. Denis in France and it has two of the three largest rose windows anywhere in the world. Absolutely spectacular.
I was fortunate enough to get a little private tour of the cathedral, a few weeks ago, courtesy of the Rector, Msgr. Neuhaus. It is an amazing place, and is filled with history and art. It's like two museums and a church all wrapped up into one. They give guided tours, and it would be well worth it to take the time to see such an amazing place.

Fun Fact: The cahtedral was supposed to be much longer, but the city owned an alley right behind where the alter stands, and they refused to give it up. The towers weren't built because they ran out of money. The cathedral is one of just a few basillicas in the U.S.

Oh, and when you take the tour, ask to see the teardrop of the Blessed Virgin.

He thinks seeing the KFC Museum is more essential than seeing a moon bow at Cumberland Falls?

I plan on doing 2, 3, and 20 on our next visit to Louisville, the USF game in 2012.

I've done 1, 6, 7, 14, 16, 21, 27, 29, 31, 35, 42, 43, and 47, most by default ...

6. I was raised just south of Corbin.

7. My grandfather made most of his own tools by hand, not to mention furniture, most have passed to me.

8. I was born at Ireland Army Hospital at Fort Knox. After Dad retired and we moved back to SEKY, we used to go up to the commissary every summer and stock up on staples. It was like Sam's Club, before there was a Sam's Club. The Sgt. Major made a great tour guide.

27, 29, and 43. Raised on a farm. BTW, better wash the 7 Dust off that tomato before taking a big bite or the grit might be more than you bargained for. :D

42. Like most fellows my age from SEKY, moonshine was the first alcohol I ever drank.