Kentucky Bucket List

Zoot Soup

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm wondering is how I've lived near Maysville my entire life--an avid fan of Transparent Pie--and have never heard of Magee's? Where is it located? And as Zoot asked, is it worth a trip, or do you just stop by & pick up a piece when you're in town?

I'm thinking a piece of Transparent Pie, along with a cold glass of milk, will make for some good down time underneath the Parker family kitchen sink...

Magee's was a fixture on Market Street downtown for years and years. Not too long ago they moved out onto Orangeburg Road. Not too far from papa's place.

Other Magee's recommendations - petit fours/cake squares and red velvet cake.

True story. My son got married on Whidbey Island (Washington State) a couple of years ago. He DEMANDED that we bring transparent tarts from Magee's for the rehearsal dinner. They were going to cost an arm and a leg for Magee's to ship them in dry ice, so we just took them with us on the plane. And they got scrutinized at the airport (must have been those little metal tart plates).

They were a huge success.

Magee's was a fixture on Market Street downtown for years and years. Not too long ago they moved out onto Orangeburg Road. Not too far from papa's place.

Other Magee's recommendations - petit fours/cake squares and red velvet cake.

True story. My son got married on Whidbey Island (Washington State) a couple of years ago. He DEMANDED that we bring transparent tarts from Magee's for the rehearsal dinner. They were going to cost an arm and a leg for Magee's to ship them in dry ice, so we just took them with us on the plane. And they got scrutinized at the airport (must have been those little metal tart plates).

They were a huge success.

You've convinced me to try! :thumb:

What I'm wondering is how I've lived near Maysville my entire life--an avid fan of Transparent Pie--and have never heard of Magee's? Where is it located? And as Zoot asked, is it worth a trip, or do you just stop by & pick up a piece when you're in town?

I'm thinking a piece of Transparent Pie, along with a cold glass of milk, will make for some good down time underneath the Parker family kitchen sink...

Sounds like a winner.

And no, Daddy's not going to kill Ralphie.

• 4 weeks later...
My girlfriend and I have made it through 11 of the 50 so far. Visited Rabbit Hash last weekend. That was pretty cool. :thumb:

That is amazing. I just saw this thread, I have done 27 of the 50 listed during my life growing up in Ky. 1,2,6,7,11,12,12,15,17,20,21,22,25,26,27,29,31,37,39,40,42,43,44,46,47,49,50.

I worked at Natural Bridge for 3 summers, actually that is where I met my husband. On the county ham I used to cure and make my own from hogs that we slaughtered.

Don't know if they still have them but used to attend the out door theater at Jenny Wilie. Always wonderful. #28, I haven't visited this contest, but have raised tobacco for many years....boy don't miss pulling plants, topping tobbaco, housing it and stripping it either...do miss the income from it some....:D

That is amazing. I just saw this thread, I have done 27 of the 50 listed during my life growing up in Ky. 1,2,6,7,11,12,12,15,17,20,21,22,25,26,27,29,31,37,39,40,42,43,44,46,47,49,50.

I worked at Natural Bridge for 3 summers, actually that is where I met my husband. On the county ham I used to cure and make my own from hogs that we slaughtered.

I have actually done a lot more than 11 things on the list, but we're going back and doing them all again- this time with pictures. I started a Facebook album and have been updating it as we go. It's been a lot of fun so far!

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I haven't been yet, and surprisingly I haven't heard anything good or otherwise about the Ark Encounter, but I'd imagine it would make the revised list. Engineering marvel they say...

I'm not huge on the whole Ark Encounter thing (although I'm not particularly against it, like some folks are), and I've not been there, but I can tell you from what I've seen published about the structure itself that, as someone with a degree and career in commercial construction, that structure absolutely is an engineering marvel. I plan on going sometime or another expressly to see the structure.

I'm not huge on the whole Ark Encounter thing (although I'm not particularly against it, like some folks are), and I've not been there, but I can tell you from what I've seen published about the structure itself that, as someone with a degree and career in commercial construction, that structure absolutely is an engineering marvel. I plan on going sometime or another expressly to see the structure.

Like I said, that's what they say. You would clearly know more about the structure than myself. The immensity alone is enough to draw several thousand visitors, and I will be part of that crowd eventually, but nothing about its grand opening piques my interest.