Kentucky Bucket List

Zoot Soup

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not from Kentucky, and I have only lived in NKY for 5 yrs. So when people come to visit, this is what I like to show off---

--Big Bone Lick Park---(really an interesting piece of America's history--and natural science).

--Anderson Ferry---(is that Cincinnati or NKY?) Either way if you are not from a river city, it is pretty cool!

--Cathedral in Covington--enough said already about this stunning architechture!

--Ludlow Park--such a piece of Americana right there! Baseball, War Monument, playground with that really tall silver slide that would never pass safety inspection today, you can almost hear all the 4th of July celebrations that have happened through the years!

--Hofbrau Haus

--Purple People Bridge---who can resist walking across and looking down at the barges?

Some of my favorites in the Louisville Area not on the list:

Thomas Edison House (Special to me, because before it became a registered landmark, waaayyy back in the day, my dad rented a room there when he first came to Louisville)

National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution Genealogical Library

St. James Art Show It's a nightmare if you live in Old Louisville, but an absolute delight if not. :lol:

For that matter, Old Louisville should be on the list.

Zachary Taylor Cemetery and Cave Hill Cemetery. And while at Cave Hill, take a trip to the other side of the wall to Eastern Cemetery for a lesson in the stark contrasts of our heritage. Another beautiful cemetery is St. Louis.

I've got more, but those are some of those I think could have been included. Maybe we should all get our own bucket lists of our area, and we could have a heck of a bucket list when we combine them all! :lol:

Good idea.:thumb:

Mason County Museum; includes a world-class collection of miniatures.

Maysville floodwall murals.

Battle of Blue Licks re-enactment at Blue Licks State Resort Park.

Fleming County covered bridge tour.

And of course, I would be remiss if I didn't include - catch a 10th Region tournament final at the Fieldhouse.

I'll make one for where I grew up first. LaRue County and some spots in nearby Nelson County (though I'll leave out Bardstown for now).

Abraham Lincoln Birthplace

Abraham Lincoln Boyhood Home at Knob Creek

I think both of those are pretty self-explanatory. There is also the Lincoln Museum which makes a nice stop.

Laha's Red Castle - Get a burger and a Ski. Best burger you'll ever have. Open until 4 or 5 p.m. and closed on Sundays. They only take cash too.

Stay at the Sherwood Inn in New Haven and if you are the type who enjoys an adult beverage make sure and go to the bar side. The bartender Jerry Burkes can spin some tales for sure. I haven't ate in the actual restaurant in a long time but last time I did it was pretty good. The bar menu has always did the trick for me.

While you are in New Haven visit the Kentucky Railway Museum. If you have kids look for the days that Thomas the Tank Engine is there.

Abbey of Gethsemani - very cool place and you have to get some of the cheese and fudge before you leave.

Mason County Museum; includes a world-class collection of miniatures.

Maysville floodwall murals.

Battle of Blue Licks re-enactment at Blue Licks State Resort Park.

Fleming County covered bridge tour.

And of course, I would be remiss if I didn't include - catch a 10th Region tournament final at the Fieldhouse.

Would you recommend the Underground Railroad Museum?

I can't believe that they left out the moonbow!

They didn't. It was just on a list to the side. The main list was things to do during the summer. There was an additional list of 7 things that you can do the other months of the year.

They didn't. It was just on a list to the side. The main list was things to do during the summer. There was an additional list of 7 things that you can do the other months of the year.

I thought they had omitted the Derby, but it was on one of those sidebars as well.

Would you recommend the Underground Railroad Museum?

I haven't been (even though years ago I used to live around the corner from the Bierbower House); so I couldn't give a recommendation.

A walking tour of Old Washington, which includes the Harriet Beecher Stowe museum, is worth a trip.

I haven't been (even though years ago I used to live around the corner from the Bierbower House); so I couldn't give a recommendation.

A walking tour of Old Washington, which includes the Harriet Beecher Stowe museum, is worth a trip.

But the transparent pie at Magee's is worth a trip?

What I'm wondering is how I've lived near Maysville my entire life--an avid fan of Transparent Pie--and have never heard of Magee's? Where is it located? And as Zoot asked, is it worth a trip, or do you just stop by & pick up a piece when you're in town?

I'm thinking a piece of Transparent Pie, along with a cold glass of milk, will make for some good down time underneath the Parker family kitchen sink...