Unemployment Up Again

I'm with Purple on this one. That's a fine strategy but what do we roll them back to?

To George Bush? The housing market and bank bust was at the end of those 8 years.

To Bill Clinton? Even his economy was slipping as the dot-com went down.

To pre-NAFTA? That might employ more workers but the prices will probably soar and once the genie is out of the bottle how do you go back?

I'm still wondering if anyone has specifics to change rather than "roll back Obama" or "not George's policies."

I don't know the answer either but I'm not seeing any specifics in this thread.

Fair enough, but are you really seeing any specifics from the Obama administration? Does Obama have any answers? Any leadership? Pointing the finger at past administrations hasn't paid any bills but that's what Obama seems to be most prolific at.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know that all of that money has been returned, jobs were saved, perhaps whole communities because the ancillary jobs were saved. It was a good plan, Chrysler, GM and Ford are all turning profits now. Seems like that is exactly what we wished happened in other industries.

You do know Ford did the exact same thing without taxpayer help, right?

Fair enough, but are you really seeing any specifics from the Obama administration? Does Obama have any answers? Any leadership? Pointing the finger at past administrations hasn't paid any bills but that's what Obama seems to be most prolific at.

You say fair enough and then point at the Obama administration. I think when you see Obama supporters starting threads saying 'Obama has fixed the economy' or 'unemployment is Bush's fault' then that is a fair comment. I think we all know things aren't where we want them to be but I don't see anyone claiming Obama is victorious other than right wing websites saying Obama is claiming victory. All I see Obama doing is saying things are slowly getting better and if you have the solution by all means share it. I halfway wish a republican would have beaten him because I don't think the person in office would make a difference. We were in a bad situation before Obama took over.

The right man in office does make a difference.. Reagan inherited the mess of the Carter administration and turned it around.. Not overnight, it took some time.. But his steps were in the right direction and you could see progress.. Obamas policies have had nothing but negative impact on jobs and the economy..

The right man in office does make a difference.. Reagan inherited the mess of the Carter administration and turned it around.. Not overnight, it took some time.. But his steps were in the right direction and you could see progress.. Obamas policies have had nothing but negative impact on jobs and the economy..

Do you think McCain was the right man? Who among the Republican nominees for 2012 do you feel will be the right man/woman? What are their ideas and why do you feel they're more likely to work than the Obama administration's?

I think it's fair to say it's not just the man/woman who sits in the chair in the Oval Office. Our congressional and senatorial bodies are every bit as much responsible for 'reaching' across the aisle as he/she is. I see clear partisan divides in both those entities as well. In order to even come close to the kind of simplicity you're assigning as the solution, there would pretty much have to be an ousting of the majority of the members of the party who's man/woman isn't occupying the White House. Even then, it won't prove that it's just the man/woman in the chair. All it proves is the party with the most seats is calling the shots.

You say fair enough and then point at the Obama administration. I think when you see Obama supporters starting threads saying 'Obama has fixed the economy' or 'unemployment is Bush's fault' then that is a fair comment. I think we all know things aren't where we want them to be but I don't see anyone claiming Obama is victorious other than right wing websites saying Obama is claiming victory. All I see Obama doing is saying things are slowly getting better and if you have the solution by all means share it. I halfway wish a republican would have beaten him because I don't think the person in office would make a difference. We were in a bad situation before Obama took over.
So...I'm doing exactly what Obama himself did.

I don't think Obama has fixed anything, certainly not unemployment. Like commando said, Obamas policies have had nothing but negative impact on jobs and the economy. I agree with him.

Do you think McCain was the right man? Who among the Republican nominees for 2012 do you feel will be the right man/woman? What are their ideas and why do you feel they're more likely to work than the Obama administration's?

I think it's fair to say it's not just the man/woman who sits in the chair in the Oval Office. Our congressional and senatorial bodies are every bit as much responsible for 'reaching' across the aisle as he/she is. I see clear partisan divides in both those entities as well. In order to even come close to the kind of simplicity you're assigning as the solution, there would pretty much have to be an ousting of the majority of the members of the party who's man/woman isn't occupying the White House. Even then, it won't prove that it's just the man/woman in the chair. All it proves is the party with the most seats is calling the shots.

We can't answer the question about McCain because he isn't in office.

While it's true that congressional and senatorial bodies are responsible for reaching across the aisle, it comes down to leadership. It usually falls at the feet of the president, Obama is no different than any other president there. It goes with the territory. I'm not seeing much leadership out of Obama.

We can't answer the question about McCain because he isn't in office.

While it's true that congressional and senatorial bodies are responsible for reaching across the aisle, it comes down to leadership. It usually falls at the feet of the president, Obama is no different than any other president there. It goes with the territory. I'm not seeing much leadership out of Obama.

To the McCain point...if Obama is so obviously not the right man, and he is solely responsible for all the issues we face, it stands to reason that there's at least a modicum of belief that McCain would have done better. I think it's a fair question, as it the question "Why would he have been better?" I also think it's a fair question to ask who among the Republican hopefuls would be better and why? These are the discussions we must have in order to choose wisely in 2012.

As to your second point, I agree it's about leadership, but it works both ways. The Republican leadership is just as responsible as the President, at this point. Capitulation isn't compromise, and compromise isn't capitulation. The President has tried, in my opinion, to reach across the aisle, but Republicans have been stalwart in rebuffing any attempts at compromise, painting it as capitulation.

Reagan's "fixes" on the economy did not produce a steady growth in all 8 years.

If memory serves the economy continued to get worse in '81 and '82 before starting to improve. De-regulation helped it start upwards but that same De-regulation led to the S & L debacles and one must remember that the Stock Market exploded in '87 on Black Monday.

Here's the unemployment rates from 2000 on:

2000: 4.0

2001: 4.7

2002: 5.8

2003: 6.0

2004: 5.8

2005: 5.1

2006: 4.6

2007: 4.6

2008: 5.8

2009: 9.9

2010: 9.4

2011: 9.1

I still believe the biggest reason is the loss of the traditional manufacturing jobs that were in the United States until the last 15 years. Whole regions of this country were built on one or two of those types of jobs and now that they are gone there is nothing new coming into their region for former "mill" and "factory" workers.

I did not vote for Obama but I don't hold him or any president wholly responsible for the mess that took decades to compile. Like you Cammando, I would like to see leadership from somewhere and am hoping we find it in the very near future. :thumb:

So...I'm doing exactly what Obama himself did.

I don't think Obama has fixed anything, certainly not unemployment. Like commando said, Obamas policies have had nothing but negative impact on jobs and the economy. I agree with him.

Which policies?

Unemployment rate under Reagen:

1980-01-01 6.3

1980-06-01 7.6

1981-01-01 7.5

1981-06-01 7.5

1982-01-01 8.6

1982-06-01 9.6

1983-01-01 10.4

1983-06-01 10.1

Takes time and you could see the progress...after 4 years.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, BUT. As I recall Obama CONSTANTLY pointed the finger at Bush for the economy. Now that he's in charge, he get's the finger pointed at him. That's the way it works. It's lonely at the top and the American people are very fickle.

Agreed on all points.

Who is the right man then?