Unemployment Up Again

This is where I get conflicted. Common sense says if a recession happens again is it the best thing to get rid of the ones in office or do you keep them there and let them fix it since they should know exactly where they messed up at? I have never been able to find a happy medium with those feelings. I definitely understand why there would be passionate feelings to remove Obama and his staff as well as Congress. I also understand if more time is need to fix it. All the next person would do is come in and when they can't fix it they will blame it on the previous administration and there we will be still without solution. Sound familiar?

To go further....in 2004 I was ready to vote for Bush simply because I knew the war in Iraq wasn't complete and he and his staff needed to complete that before they left. I felt they deserved that despite my complete disdain for the Bush administration. Colin Powell leaving the staff didn't help them any as well. I eventually decided I needed to stick with my party line and I voted for Kerry however it was the emptiest I have ever felt after voting. I knew Bush was going to win and part of me was glad because I truly wanted to see him accomplish the mission. I guess for now unless things get considerably worse I am going to prevent myself from having that empty feeling next election.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I'd be shocked if the economy got worse.

The problem is is that it is on plan to get worse. So do not get too shocked if things worsen.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/01/us-usa-economy-jobs-challenger-idUSTRE7502LN20110601

Employers announced 37,135 planned job cuts last month, up 1.8 percent from 36,490 in April, according to a report from consultants Challenger, Gray & Christmas, Inc.

After this statement they go to explain how much better 2011 is than 2010. It is sort of like explaining to the passengers of the Titanic that the water is coming a lot slower than an hour ago but it is coming in faster in the last 10 minutes. The spin in this article is almost comical. The bright spot - McDonalds. With an apparent gimmick to hire 50,000 employees in one day in April. Without this very odd 'attempt' to do mass hiring nationwide April employment number would have been a pure disaster. It would appear the WH called in its favor of granting McD's their waiver on Obamacare to cook the economical books. Even if that is not the case, the 'growth' in jobs is the completely wrong area - fast food vs. college level jobs.

If unemployment was 8.5% when Obama took over in January 2009 and is at 9.1% now and had been trending down until this recent .4% rise does that not indicate that his policies are slowing working?

I believe it was about 7.5% in January of 2009, so that's still a significant increase which wouldn't indicate the policies are working.

Unemployment rate under Reagen:

1980-01-01 6.3

1980-06-01 7.6

1981-01-01 7.5

1981-06-01 7.5

1982-01-01 8.6

1982-06-01 9.6

1983-01-01 10.4

1983-06-01 10.1

Takes time and you could see the progress...after 4 years.

80 wasn't under Reagan. Took office January 81.

If the economy tanks bad, I can see him losing. It sinks most presidents.

Even so, there has to be an alternative available. Reagan in 80, Clinton in 92. There's no one out there and people run on inertia. Obama will be formidable no matter what the economy unless someone comes out of nowhere on the Republican side.

Obamas allies upset with his inaction on jobs.. Not to mention the ones he is cutting daily...http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110610/ts_yblog_thelookout/with-obama-doing-little-on-jobs-allies-grow-frustrated

Reagan's "fixes" on the economy did not produce a steady growth in all 8 years.

If memory serves the economy continued to get worse in '81 and '82 before starting to improve. De-regulation helped it start upwards but that same De-regulation led to the S & L debacles and one must remember that the Stock Market exploded in '87 on Black Monday.

Here's the unemployment rates from 2000 on:

2000: 4.0

2001: 4.7

2002: 5.8

2003: 6.0

2004: 5.8

2005: 5.1

2006: 4.6

2007: 4.6

2008: 5.8

2009: 9.9

2010: 9.4

2011: 9.1

I still believe the biggest reason is the loss of the traditional manufacturing jobs that were in the United States until the last 15 years. Whole regions of this country were built on one or two of those types of jobs and now that they are gone there is nothing new coming into their region for former "mill" and "factory" workers.

I did not vote for Obama but I don't hold him or any president wholly responsible for the mess that took decades to compile. Like you Cammando, I would like to see leadership from somewhere and am hoping we find it in the very near future. :thumb:

This is interesting to me. We have heard time and time again that tax cuts don't work and that Bush's tax cuts did nothing to create jobs. Can anyone guess when Bush's cuts went into effect? Anyone?

This is where I get conflicted. Common sense says if a recession happens again is it the best thing to get rid of the ones in office or do you keep them there and let them fix it since they should know exactly where they messed up at? I have never been able to find a happy medium with those feelings. I definitely understand why there would be passionate feelings to remove Obama and his staff as well as Congress. I also understand if more time is need to fix it. All the next person would do is come in and when they can't fix it they will blame it on the previous administration and there we will be still without solution. Sound familiar?

To go further....in 2004 I was ready to vote for Bush simply because I knew the war in Iraq wasn't complete and he and his staff needed to complete that before they left. I felt they deserved that despite my complete disdain for the Bush administration. Colin Powell leaving the staff didn't help them any as well. I eventually decided I needed to stick with my party line and I voted for Kerry however it was the emptiest I have ever felt after voting. I knew Bush was going to win and part of me was glad because I truly wanted to see him accomplish the mission. I guess for now unless things get considerably worse I am going to prevent myself from having that empty feeling next election.

Why would common sense say leave them in office? If they already screwed it up what makes you think they won't make it worse? In my mind as President you get one shot at it, you don't get the job done your gone.