Regional Track Meet DQ

I was looking through the AA boys regional track results and noticed in one race that 2 boys were DQ'd and the reason listed was undergarment.:confused:

I know the boy from HHS and his parents and had the opportunity to ask about the DQ. The disqualification was because the stitching on his compression shorts he was wearing under his track shorts was a different shade than the shorts themselves. After the race was over, the coach was called to the officials tent and told of the DQ. The young man ran a nice race and would have qualified for the state meet.

I am one of the first to say that rules need to be in place, followed, and enforced-- but come on. What could possibly be the reason for such a rule? I don't think the different color stitching gave him any competitive advantage. The worst part is that the boy was allowed to run the race, then his result voided. In the name of sportsmanship whomever reported this rules violation could have notified the coach or runner before the race and had them remove or change his shorts.

High-school track and field rules have always been like this. And the race is always completed (unless the DQ is for a false start) before informing the athlete/coach of the violation. Furthermore, it's usually not an opposing coach that notifies officials of these terrible transgressions - it's the meet officials at the finish line themselves.

I think some of those rules border on the ludicrous. In theory, rules regarding uniform color are in place to make it easier for meet officials to identify teams - especially in the case of relays - and competitive advantage is not an issue. In actuality, colors of compression shorts generally don't keep officials from being able to identify members of one team from another. Usually the "color" DQs are when one member of a relay team wears a different color undergarment (compression shorts, t-shirt) than the others on the team.

And generally by regional meet time, everybody - athletes and coaches - have their ducks in a row with respect to this stuff.

Heath had a relay team that won their event at the state meet, but was disqualified for similar reasons. They filed a protest of the ruling, but to no avail.

Not sure I've ever seen a uniform violation result overturned via protest. Track and field may be the most anal (am I allowed to say that on here?) sport on the planet when it comes to this stuff.

I'm about 99% positive that the folks that come up with the HS track and field rules were collectively toilet-trained at gunpoint.

Not sure I've ever seen a uniform violation result overturned via protest. Track and field may be the most anal (am I allowed to say that on here?) sport on the planet when it comes to this stuff.

I'm about 99% positive that the folks that come up with the HS track and field rules were collectively toilet-trained at gunpoint.

No argument here ...

Extremely poor judgment exercised by the official in my opinion. Heck the KHSAA itself, I'm told, has tried to get the NFHS to change the rule in the past to no avail so far. Like stinkyboy, I understand rules. But a little judgment and discretion exercised by adults is needed when any rule is enforced against kids. Goodness gracious, you see basketball and football players wearing different colored cleats, socks and wristbands and no ref says a thing. But gray stitching up the back of black compression shorts on a runner and it's a DQ. Sad, just sad. Particularly in light of the fact that both kids qualified for state.

Yeah, the kids and their coaches know of the rule and they could have prevented the DQ from occurring. I understand that too. I'd really be upset with the coaches if the compression shorts were of the wrong color. But here we are talking about gray stitching up the back of the legs of the black shorts. Not in a million years would I, as a coach, thought such a ticky tack violation would have been called. Do you think some officials take themselves just a little too seriously? This one sure did in my opinion. I hope the official sees this thread and tries to defend him/herself on here or by sending me a PM. I'd love to know his/her side of the story and the justification.

I totally agree that the rule is crazy, but I do know that I have seen its enforcement unfortunately on too many occassions. Wasn't there an instance last year on the girl's side where a school lost either the region, or maybe even state because I girl was wearing something? I do not remember the details, but it still seems like I remember something.

Regardless - as the KHSAA does not appear able to change the rule - the kids and coaches need to be reminded of this silliness every time they go on the track. Maybe the teams all need to add a Uniform Conformance position on to the staff!

Craziest one I've seen in years - one of Lloyd's cross-country runners was DQd in the state meet because one of her teammates accidentally jostled her across the start line prior to the gun. False start called.

In a 3.1-mile race.

Absolutely ridiculous to DQ a kid from a chance at state because of the color of stitching. If it was violation it should be pointed out PRIOR to the event. If they then refuse to change, then they can DQ them. I think it is a shame that these type of incidents take away from the intent of what HS sports should be.

I understand that it is the rule, but it makes no sense as to why an non-competitive advantage issue like stitching color should prevent someone from competing in a state championship.

Could you imagine if football, basketball or Baseball allowed the contest to end, then appeal to the officials about the helmet or the elbow pad or whatever the minutia was and have the outcome reversed? Why is this allowed in track, it makes absolutely no sense.

Perhaps it is because the rules are strictly adhered to at the next level and this helps them prepare. I have been to many meets this year and in almost every one I have seen these calls made at the finish line. I agree it seems crazy but there must be a reason track demands such strict rules. Jewlry on athletes are only warned and I have not seen an elimination due to an earing or bracelets but they do say "you wear it in the next race you will be DQ'd".

Perhaps it is because the rules are strictly adhered to at the next level and this helps them prepare. I have been to many meets this year and in almost every one I have seen these calls made at the finish line. I agree it seems crazy but there must be a reason track demands such strict rules. Jewlry on athletes are only warned and I have not seen an elimination due to an earing or bracelets but they do say "you wear it in the next race you will be DQ'd".

Ha, ha! Your point of view is admirable, paNDA. However ... at the next level ... they have NONE of these silly uniform rules. Kids can wear just about whatever they want under their uniform ... they can wear JEWELRY ... they can wear big, nasty HEMP necklaces ...

This year ... they changed things around to where, if an official saw a uniform violation BEFORE the event started ... it was charged as a warning to the school. The next offense by that school results in a DQ. It seems like that rule went out the window during the regionals.

paNDA ... I would have bet money that you were taking a couple snaps of our assistant coach/myself last Friday at Ryle ... I would probably pay for a couple of those pictures if they exist (because only I know how angry I was at that moment!). Very cool of you to take pictures. Quite a few of our kids have been included ... and I know they really appreciate it.

Ha, ha! Your point of view is admirable, paNDA. However ... at the next level ... they have NONE of these silly uniform rules. Kids can wear just about whatever they want under their uniform ... they can wear JEWELRY ... they can wear big, nasty HEMP necklaces ...

This year ... they changed things around to where, if an official saw a uniform violation BEFORE the event started ... it was charged as a warning to the school. The next offense by that school results in a DQ. It seems like that rule went out the window during the regionals.

paNDA ... I would have bet money that you were taking a couple snaps of our assistant coach/myself last Friday at Ryle ... I would probably pay for a couple of those pictures if they exist (because only I know how angry I was at that moment!). Very cool of you to take pictures. Quite a few of our kids have been included ... and I know they really appreciate it.

QS: Are these silly infractions National Rules that the KHSAA can not revise/change as they wish or are there people involved in the sport and/or the KHSAA that actually think it is a good idea to DQ kids for the stitching in their compression shorts? If it is the latter, is there a reason behind the rules that isn't readily visible to the casual observer?

QS: Are these silly infractions National Rules that the KHSAA can not revise/change as they wish or are there people involved in the sport and/or the KHSAA that actually think it is a good idea to DQ kids for the stitching in their compression shorts? If it is the latter, is there a reason behind the rules that isn't readily visible to the casual observer?

Some of these items are most defintiely NFHS rules. However ... what the KHSAA will not tell you .. is that they do NOT have to follow any/all of them. For instance .. the NFHS allows track/cross country runners to wear watches ... but the KHSAA has made the decision to continue to DQ a kid if he wears a watche (which is about the dumbest thing ever when it comes to something that could actually help to promote improvement in distance times). The KHSAA has taken this approach because they don't want pile ups at the finish line (they think that kids hitting the stop button on their watch will create some huge, 50 car pile up--the rest of my opinion will remain unspoken).

The KHSAA probably has some people who will try to say that they have to follow NFHS rules to a "T" ... but .. there are plenty of examples that prove that they can do what they want.

Quite simply put ... when I first started ... I worked with a coach who told me "track officials, for the most part, are on a power trip--and this is the only power that they have in their life--and they intend to show you who is boss at all times". Now, in most cases ... that isn't true (especially in NKY--where we have some great officials).

Don't let them fool you ... the KHSAA could make any rules they want when it comes to the sports that they sponsor.