Dixie Heights 79 Newport Central Catholic 76 (4 OT)

Coach B is pretty emotional. He seemed PO'd that his defenders were leaving the shooter wide open. I took it as complete and utter frustration.

Grant has been raised to play and coach the right way. I was not at the game, so I can't say yeah or nay. However, knowing him for as long as I have, I have a hard time believing that he would ever stoop to that level. Now jumping up to get on one of his kids to get out and guard the open shooter, I could definitely see that.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both teams shooting percentage from the field were in the 30's...not pretty.

I'm sure both teams legs were probably not there with the length of this game and coming back in less than 24hrs from the semi's.

The more I think about it, I guess I'll cut them some slack. They left it all on the floor.

His 18 points have to be Andy Miller's career high. For someone who does all the little things that don't show up in the box score, it's nice for Andy to have a great game in the final. An amazing game that will be remembered for a long time.

I 1,000% agree. It seems whatever the NCC coaches ask Miller to do, he does. When Ryan went out with the ankle injury, some questioned who would step up the scoring for NCC. Well, it looks like he answered that question. I don't think young Mr. Miller came out the entire game. It was an incredible performance by Miller during his teams biggest game of the year. As good as he played on the court during this game and this season, he is even a better person off the court. He is a great kid with a bright future ahead of him. Congrats Andy and the Breds on a GREAT SEASON!!

They hit 2 or 3 treys, and he went back to a man. Up until that point, they were struggling to hit a shot.

The biggest question for me is why does he drop everyone back on free throws? Some others would be, Why didn't he have his bigs cheating to Giesler's right when he got the ball? When he got the ball on the elbow or wing, he went right 99% of the time.

As for the game, wow. It was a gutty performance by both teams, and it's a shame that someone had to lose. It has to go down as one of the best championship games.

As for the refs, there were some questionable calls, but there always are. At least they let them play for the most part. They also seemed to keep things light at the start of each OT. The boys and refs seemed to be joking around and laughing prior to the tip.

As for Pike, I didn't see the immature kid many portray. I watched all three games, and I didn't see any show boating or arrogance. I saw a lot of leadership, a lot of emotion, and a lot of good sportsmanship. Hats off to the young man.

If he continues this, then his athletic future is going to be even brighter. The only thing that could hold him back was himself. Best of luck to him and Dixie.

I may be late but does anyone know what the record for OTs are for a Ninth Regional Championship game? This was the best sporting event I have witnessed thus far. The boys and coaches from both teams have to be extremely proud of themselves with all the heart they was on the floor Sunday afternoon. It was just a wonderful experience win or lose.

Paper this morning said yesterday's game was the longest region championship in 9th region history.

A little intimidation game early in the first as Hightchew and Pike brushed hard shoulders twice and the smiling and yapping began. Also when Pike fouled out I believe Hightchew walked with him to his bench and I don't think he was telling him he played a great game.

He walked him to the bench on his second foul also.

It started before the game when the team intros were being done.

Brady made a comment about Hatton and then Pike when he was introduced. (I was behind their bench and couldn't believe he said the things he was saying...may want to be a little more quiet next time.)

He also ran by Pike and blatantly threw his elbow in to Pike's stomach. Pike simply looked at him and laughed as if to say "Are you serious?"

Hopefully the kid matures over the summer. I love his game and the way he plays but man his attitude really makes it hard to overlook some of the little things he says and does.

Wow! It's a little too emotional and overreaction on the kids in these posts IMO. I was sitting on the floor at the Dixie end. I could hear the players and referees. It was a little chippy on both teams at times, but nothing out of the ordinary. The refs were constantly talking to the kids and I believe kept it under control. Maybe you heard a lot of talk, but there was not as much at the end where I sat as is being posted. The only talking that was really demonstrative was Hatton asking for the ball more in crunch time, and that's not bad. There was a lot of basketball talk from the kids such as help, switch, encouragement those types of things. At times they were literally 5 feet from where I was sitting, I heard nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe it happened at the other end where I couldn't hear the talk, but that would seem a little odd. Bottom line, these kids played a clean, hard, physical game. Kudos to both teams.

You keep bringing up Giesler getting away with fouling. He without a doubt gets fouled more than any other player in the region without a foul being called. He gets hammered on every game. Just because he's big he gets forearms in the back pushed on double teams and slapped at every time he gets the ball, only to have someone flop when he turns around to shoot. I liked to have a nickle for every shot attemed he's been fouled that no foul was called. Get over it.

You keep bringing up Giesler getting away with fouling. He without a doubt gets fouled more than any other player in the region without a foul being called. He gets hammered on every game. Just because he's big he gets forearms in the back pushed on double teams and slapped at every time he gets the ball, only to have someone flop when he turns around to shoot. I liked to have a nickle for every shot attemed he's been fouled that no foul was called. Get over it.

Everybody has to look for something to gripe about. This has been an all year thing w/ NewCath dissenters. The refs always give them the calls...Please. After all of the games that Tom Hummel had while I was growing up, there is a backlog for fouls that officials owe NewCath (I'm kidding!). Geisler plays hard and does not avoid contact. You are absolutely correct.

Your description sounds like the curse of the big man. He is a target, the other team and the fans want him off the court.

Not MCGraw...he was simply a player and would drop a 3 in your face and turn around and jog down to the other end to get ready to get after it on D.

Now Guidugli...well both Gino and Ben loved trash talking on the court.

Probably. Trash talking or not, I loved watching McGraw play. Kid was a nasty ball player.

I've read every post on this game and it took awhile. I really can't believe all the negative things being said about the greatest 9th Region Final ever. 16, 17 and 18 years olds giving their heart and soul to a game they love. It was unbelievable entertainment that brought out every possible emotion. I want to thank the kids and coaches from both teams for giving us a game we'll never forget. I can't wait til next season. Good luck Dixie down state.