Dixie Heights 79 Newport Central Catholic 76 (4 OT)

Ladies and gentleman, exhibit A for what's wrong with scholastic sports. I don't care one way or another about what Hatton did or didn't do. Not making judgement on him at all, it's no big deal.

What is a big deal though, is the entitlement the above posts give a kid. If you're good enough, you can do whatever you want, really? If you make a big shot, anything you do afterwards is awesome? Ever complain about the way guys act during college or pro games? Or the way they act like they are owed something off the field?

Well folks, it started somewhere.

I can see your point but I think in this instance the majority would be that this wasnt an intentional disrespect to NCC. If anyone knows Hatton personally I believe they could encount for his true respect for other players, coaches and the game of basketball itself. I am not stating that there are not a few people who would state he is entitled because of how the game went down but I dont believe based upon the majority of responses that is the case here. Granted there are a few comments of entitlement but not as a whole. I spoke with Bran about the situation and he stated by no means was there any disrespect intended towards NCC or there fan base. I just think someone jumped the gun on this one assuming what his intention was. Everyone knows what assuming does!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont want to beat a dead horse so I will try and make this my last comment about the "chest pumping" incident. I did not witness him doing this but Hatton is an exceptional kid on and off the court. He has alot of commradity among his team mates as well as with other players from different teams. If anyone was privied to listening to his interview on the radio station he gave his hats off to the NCC team as well as their coaches. He also talked to Brady after the game telling him not to hang his head because he played an exceptional game as well as his team did. He is a very classy kid. I believe if the chest pumping exsisted it was a run of emotions and not directed to NCC. It was his way of expressing his joy of helping to lead his team to a ninth region title. Dixie and NCC should be extremely proud of the effort and perserverance they played with tonight. Both exceptional teams and proved today why there were the #1 and #2 seeds in the ninth region. Nothing to hang your heads about tonight NCC, you boys worked your butts off. Good luck to Dixie at Rupp Arena.

I'm over it, trust me I watched him closely throughout the tournament and he showed outstanding sportsmanship and even cut up with some of his opponents during FTs. My first post was a little harsh but the best thing for the youngster to do in that situation is learn from the mistake and try to eliminate it in the future. It just detracts from everything positive that he brings to the game. He will be much fun to watch and I wish wish the best at Rupp.

I can't remember if it was Guidugli or McGraw but one of the two Highlands stars were the biggest talkers that I can remember. Just can't remember which one.

Certainly not Mcgraw, he may have been one of the quietest Bluebirds ever. Had to be Gudugli.

A question, who announced Hatton as the MVP? I was at the game and they made no mention of it when announcing the All Tourney team as they didn't mention a MVP in the girls all tourney game team. Now I am not saying he didn't deserve it but....

For the record, Hatton WAS the MVP of the tournament, but I didn't announce it since I wasn't told about the girls tournament having an MVP, which was Kiley Bartels...so since it wasn't announced for the girls, it wasn't announced for the boys.

So you're telling me that when stansberry and pike get called for fouls on clean blocks that that is a good job? Or when Pike got run over while setting a screen that it's okay the red swallowed his whistle? Cmon man let's be real.

Not that I cared who won or lost, but this particular play you are referring to was a scene straight out of the World Cup when someone isn't even touched, yet they flop to the ground trying to get the call. Pike was doing it the entire tournament. Not saying it was right or wrong to do so, but it was a total flopjob.

As for the game, we at the scorer's table were hoping for two more OTs to see the period show 0 instead of 10...lol.

Anyway, congrats to Dixie Heights for breaking the regional title drought and best of luck at Rupp Arena!

I also want to thank both teams for the great game. I brought my Soph son along with my 4th grade stepson and two of his teammates. They were all very impressed with the game and it really got my older boy itching. He got home and immediately went outside to shoot jumpers. I preached to my 4th graders who I also coach, just how important Free Throws are and how missed ones can come back to hurt you. Best 8 bucks I've spent in a long time.

I can see your point but I think in this instance the majority would be that this wasnt an intentional disrespect to NCC. If anyone knows Hatton personally I believe they could encount for his true respect for other players, coaches and the game of basketball itself. I am not stating that there are not a few people who would state he is entitled because of how the game went down but I dont believe based upon the majority of responses that is the case here. Granted there are a few comments of entitlement but not as a whole. I spoke with Bran about the situation and he stated by no means was there any disrespect intended towards NCC or there fan base. I just think someone jumped the gun on this one assuming what his intention was. Everyone knows what assuming does!

Completely agree with you. He is a Freshman and was absolutely pumped that he had just won the Regional Championship, as he should have been, so he let a little emotion out. BIG DEAL. The kid is 15, he is a Freshman in high school. I could find hundreds of pictures and videos of college and NBA players doing the same thing, and no one cares. Out of the almost 200 posts about this game I'd guess almost 50 of them are about that incident, and this post isn't helping obviously, but I was just amazed at how after a game, especially a game like this, all some pople want to talk about is a chest bump.

Anyways, Great game and good luck to Dixie at Rupp!

Dixie Heights (29-3): Hassel 1 6 8, Stansberry 8 2 21, Pike 3 2 8, Trammel 2 3 8, Hatton 8 4 24, Muntis 2 2 6, Evans 1 2 4. Totals 25 21 79.

Newport Central Catholic (26-6): Doyle 0 0 0, Miller 7 2 18, Giesler 10 9 30, Hightchew 7 5 20, Bueter 2 1 6, Schulte 1 0 2. Totals 27 17 76.

Dixie 17 7 16 11 2 4 11 11 - 79

NewCath 12 10 9 20 2 4 11 8 - 76

3-point goals: DH-Hatton 4, Stansberry 3, Trammel. NCC-Miller 2, Giesler, Bueter, Schulte.

So you're telling me that when stansberry and pike get called for fouls on clean blocks that that is a good job? Or when Pike got run over while setting a screen that it's okay the red swallowed his whistle? Cmon man let's be real.[/QUOTE]

Seriously shouldn't you be smiling and pointing at the scoreboard now? Instead your complaining about refs!

Dixie Heights (29-3): Hassel 1 6 8, Stansberry 8 2 21, Pike 3 2 8, Trammel 2 3 8, Hatton 8 4 24, Muntis 2 2 6, Evans 1 2 4. Totals 25 21 79.

Newport Central Catholic (26-6): Doyle 0 0 0, Miller 7 2 18, Giesler 10 9 30, Hightchew 7 5 20, Bueter 2 1 6, Schulte 1 0 2. Totals 27 17 76.

Dixie 17 7 16 11 2 4 11 11 - 79

NewCath 12 10 9 20 2 4 11 8 - 76

3-point goals: DH-Hatton 4, Stansberry 3, Trammel. NCC-Miller 2, Giesler, Bueter, Schulte.

His 18 points have to be Andy Miller's career high. For someone who does all the little things that don't show up in the box score, it's nice for Andy to have a great game in the final. An amazing game that will be remembered for a long time.

Walter, you may want to take another look at your last 8 second video right around the 46 second mark. I believe this is when Hatton did his thing that has upset some.

You gotta be kidding me, right? The kid pulls his jersey out a little and thumps his chest once.

For ANY fan to try and make a big deal about that is simply looking for something to bash the kid about. I see absolutely nothing wrong with what he did. And considering some of the things the Newcath PARENTS and fans were yelling at the kid during the game, I would've probably done more than just "thump my chest."

Give the kid a break. Grown adults on here making a big deal about that is comical.

If we're going to talk about a kid's antics, I seen MUCH WORSE things occur in other games during this region tournament than a 15 yr old thumping his chest after a win.

There were TWO Newcath players that did several classless things during last nights' game that I won't mention for the simple fact that this isn't the place for it.

Move on.

You Mason people are always looking to interject in the 9th threads.:lol:

I believe he was referring to the Holmes/Covcath OT game in 2007 in which Austin Hill led Holmes to a 72-65 win to send the Dogs to Rupp.

That game had a ton of emotion and very good talent.

Duran Jefferson, Austin Hill, Greg Rice, and Arrez Henderson on one side.

Todd Jacobs, Kurt Bovard, Michael Grimes, Luke Maile on the other side.

(Sorry if this has already been addressed. Didn't read past Clyde's post.)

This was the block on Hightchew? How in the world this was called on Hassel, I will never know. It was just Pike and Hightchew in the play and I believe Hightchew shot two shots on the foul. Wow. Pike did go jogging towards mid court because he could not believe they called the foul on him, he thought it was all ball.

That is the one. Hassel was guarding him, and je beat him off the dribble. Pike and Hightchew blocked me from seeing Hassel, so I couldn't see what he did. The ref was right there to see it though.

I can't remember if it was Guidugli or McGraw but one of the two Highlands stars were the biggest talkers that I can remember. Just can't remember which one.

Not MCGraw...he was simply a player and would drop a 3 in your face and turn around and jog down to the other end to get ready to get after it on D.

Now Guidugli...well both Gino and Ben loved trash talking on the court.