Dixie Heights 79 Newport Central Catholic 76 (4 OT)

I've read every post on this game and it took awhile. I really can't believe all the negative things being said about the greatest 9th Region Final ever. 16, 17 and 18 years olds giving their heart and soul to a game they love. It was unbelievable entertainment that brought out every possible emotion. I want to thank the kids and coaches from both teams for giving us a game we'll never forget. I can't wait til next season. Good luck Dixie down state.
:thumb:

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've read every post on this game and it took awhile. I really can't believe all the negative things being said about the greatest 9th Region Final ever. 16, 17 and 18 years olds giving their heart and soul to a game they love. It was unbelievable entertainment that brought out every possible emotion. I want to thank the kids and coaches from both teams for giving us a game we'll never forget. I can't wait til next season. Good luck Dixie down state.

Great post. Well done NewCath! Colonels, great job and good luck at state!

After all of the games that Tom Hummel had while I was growing up, there is a backlog for fouls that officials owe NewCath (I'm kidding!).

As a NewCath alum, that is down right hysterical! I can still remember he is the one Ref that was called out by name by the NewCath student Cheering sections... for years! There is no way current administrations would allow some of the Chants directed to Mr. Hummel

So you're telling me that when stansberry and pike get called for fouls on clean blocks that that is a good job? Or when Pike got run over while setting a screen that it's okay the red swallowed his whistle? Cmon man let's be real.

I agree with that I don't know how many clean blocks they had, and no body, and still got called for a foul, like 3 times on Hightchew alone

Stansberry should have been on the all tournament team. For me, it would be very close between him and Hatton for MVP. He had a tremendous tournament. Out of Dixie's players, I would put him ahead of Pike and Trammel. Trammel played great and definitely deserved to be on the team. If I was picking the top 5 players in this tournament, they would be Hatton, Stansberry, Geisler, Hightchew and Trammel. The next 5 would be Pike, Stauffer, Downs, Stanley and Stewart.

You keep bringing up Giesler getting away with fouling. He without a doubt gets fouled more than any other player in the region without a foul being called. He gets hammered on every game. Just because he's big he gets forearms in the back pushed on double teams and slapped at every time he gets the ball, only to have someone flop when he turns around to shoot. I liked to have a nickle for every shot attemed he's been fouled that no foul was called. Get over it.

That may very well be the case, but if he got called for every time he lowers his shoulder in to a defender and uses a forearm to push off, he wouldn't be in the game enough to get fouled as much as you say. I'd say Geisler has went to the line more than any other player in the region so how can you say he doesn't get calls? :lol:

I've seen guys like Trevan Brown and Jake Thelen take a much worse beating down low than Geisler.

Keep in mind I was an unbiased fan with no affilation to either school yesterday...it's easy for you to sit back and say this is a foul or that's a foul when you're a Newcath supporter. Hatton was getting hammered any time he took the ball in to Geisler and TWICE Geisler swiped sideways and hit Pike, got away with the first, only to have the second one called only because the fans went absolutely nuts because of the no call on the first one.

Officials miss calls and aren't perfect but can you honestly say Geisler wasn't getting any calls when Newcath was in the bonus in the 4th quarter and Dixie didn't get in to the bonus until midway through the THIRD OVERTIME. The numbers don't lie my friend.

Stansberry should have been on the all tournament team. For me, it would be very close between him and Hatton for MVP. He had a tremendous tournament. Out of Dixie's players, I would put him ahead of Pike and Trammel. Trammel played great and definitely deserved to be on the team. If I was picking the top 5 players in this tournament, they would be Hatton, Stansberry, Geisler, Hightchew and Trammel. The next 5 would be Pike, Stauffer, Downs, Stanley and Stewart.

:thumb:

Agreed.

He also hit a big shot to tie the game and help send it to another OT.

Stansberry carried the Colonels early on.

Agreed.

He also hit a big shot to tie the game and help send it to another OT.

Stansberry carried the Colonels early on.

Plus IMO he was the reason Dixie beat Boone Co. He was excellent on offense in that one and his defense inside on Crabtree and helping on Brown were the difference in the game. I can see Stansberry getting consideration for player of the year next year in the 9th region.

Plus IMO he was the reason Dixie beat Boone Co. He was excellent on offense in that one and his defense inside on Crabtree and helping on Brown were the difference in the game. I can see Stansberry getting consideration for player of the year next year in the 9th region.

Funny you say that because Coach Chevy told me that same thing when I talked to him before the season started.

Speaking of Coach Chevy, he should get a lot of credit. When I interviewed him before the season started he told me that even though his team was ranked second and third in some polls, he believed he had the best talent and TEAM in the region. This guy really enjoys being around these kids and anytime you talk to him about a player or his team his face just lights up with excitement.

Looking forward to seeing the Colonels at Rupp.

Great post School Yard and rings nothing but truth. This was the best sports entertainment I have seen in a long time. It was truly a memorable moment for all these young men, coaches and fans watching.

:thumb: Absolutely correct. Geisler is very smart and he is excellent at going straight up and not reaching over guys to get blocks. Honestly, I thought he got called for more fouls this week than he should have.

IMO anyone who complains about the officiating this week is doing so because they are emotionally tied to one team or another. The officials were very good the whole tournament IMO. Yes, there were a few calls that were debatable but that is basketball. I thought the officials did a very good job throughout the tournament.

I agree completely. I was waiting for all the complaints about the officials. I thought they did an excellent job.

I thought the same thing. It's not like they tried to rush the floor or something. The players came over to the edge of the floor so that the kids in the stands could come down to celebrate, but security stood in between them and was pushing the Dixie kids back. They need to lighten up a little. Great venue for a game, but they acted like hosting it was an aggravation to them.

I thought the same thing. It's not like they tried to rush the floor or something. The players came over to the edge of the floor so that the kids in the stands could come down to celebrate, but security stood in between them and was pushing the Dixie kids back. They need to lighten up a little. Great venue for a game, but they acted like hosting it was an aggravation to them.

Not to mention the "rent a cops" that constantly patrolled in front of the stands to make sure your feet weren't on the rails....joke.

This left a number of Dixie fans scratching their heads. He was 2nd to Hatton in scoring, lead the team in rebounds, blocked shots and dumped 21pts in the championship game. Great job by the young man.