Dixie Heights 55 Highlands 45

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Zeke Pike needs to get some credit for this win. In that last couple of minutes when Highlands got to within two, Pike made one big play after another to get the win. Several key rebounds and then the steal and follow up basket. Pike's competitiveness that often hurts him came through at crunch time and would not let Dixie lose this one.

Give credit to the Bluebirds and a great job of coaching by Flynn. He righted the ship, put on the press, switched up the offense a little with some focus on the inside and all of a sudden a blow out is a ball game. Dixie lost their intensity at half time and really never got back on track until Pike made some plays at the end. Trammel put on a show of point guard play in the first half but struggled a little in the second. Same with Hatton. Stewart kept working despite being shut down most of the game and all of a sudden in Q4 the shots started to fall for him. It was a very interesting game.

Despite allowing Highlands to out play them in the second half and almost losing a huge lead, I still say Dixie is the favorite to win it. They have no weaknesses on their team. Very solid in every way.

I think Zeke Pike needs to get some credit for this win. In that last couple of minutes when Highlands got to within two, Pike made one big play after another to get the win. Several key rebounds and then the steal and follow up basket. Pike's competitiveness that often hurts him came through at crunch time and would not let Dixie lose this one.

Give credit to the Bluebirds and a great job of coaching by Flynn. He righted the ship, put on the press, switched up the offense a little with some focus on the inside and all of a sudden a blow out is a ball game. Dixie lost their intensity at half time and really never got back on track until Pike made some plays at the end. Trammel put on a show of point guard play in the first half but struggled a little in the second. Same with Hatton. Stewart kept working despite being shut down most of the game and all of a sudden in Q4 the shots started to fall for him. It was a very interesting game.

Despite allowing Highlands to out play them in the second half and almost losing a huge lead, I still say Dixie is the favorite to win it. They have no weaknesses on their team. Very solid in every way.

I agree Pike came up with some huge plays that help seal the deal. I thought that Pike, Hatton, Trammel and Stansburry all played very nice games for the Colonels in one aspect or another(defense/offense). I do think that in order to win the regional title, they must not become so complacent in the second half of their ball games. They took a huge lead in the first half , shutting Highlands down at the basket. They must maintain that intensity and mentality the second half of the game. Hopefully they will learn from this game and shut Boone out Saturday night and advance to the finals. Good luck Colonels!!!

Coleman played for Wayland....not Wayman. I saw that tournamnet from start to finish at it was one of the very best ones ever played, if not the best. Fred Maggard of Carr Creek had 2 buzzer beaters, but was omitted from the All Tourney team. I think the State Legislature put him on the team. Most of us who went were on short money....an understatement. KU announced an open house for coaches. About 25 of us showed up and Ku looked the other way. Not only did we eat, but we did a little impromtu carry out inside our coats.

I think Walgreen's took a little beating also. The following year, they changed the layout so some of the hustlers actually had to pay.

I got my tickets by standing around and looking poor. Generous folks would give us unused tickets and we would sell them, saving one for admission. Many of us including me, slept in a car. The next day we would go to the YMCA for our shower (it cost either a dime or a quarter). Small wonder that so many of us are well off today. We learned to be resourceful at an early age. None of us could go to our parents and say...I need 50 bucks to go to the State tournament. The lies I told my mother to get her permission to attend!

I would assume that would be Jamie Walz but then I guess you are talking male here. Jamie scored an amazing 4948 pts over 6 seasons (1991-1996) and she is the top ranked in Ky. history. She is #10 nationally all time with 3872 since they only recognize high school years which means she had 1076 pts in the 7th and 8th grade. Scott Draud is the leading scorer in 9th region history with 2865 pts but he scored about 2000 of those in his jr. and sr. years so that means he didn't reach 1,000 until early in his junior year.

Is this rule the same for boys bb? How does the 9th Region count their points? is it just high school or do they count pre high school as well? Just curious.

Coleman played for Wayland....not Wayman. I saw that tournamnet from start to finish at it was one of the very best ones ever played, if not the best. Fred Maggard of Carr Creek had 2 buzzer beaters, but was omitted from the All Tourney team. I think the State Legislature put him on the team. Most of us who went were on short money....an understatement. KU announced an open house for coaches. About 25 of us showed up and Ku looked the other way. Not only did we eat, but we did a little impromtu carry out inside our coats.

I think Walgreen's took a little beating also. The following year, they changed the layout so some of the hustlers actually had to pay.

I got my tickets by standing around and looking poor. Generous folks would give us unused tickets and we would sell them, saving one for admission. Many of us including me, slept in a car. The next day we would go to the YMCA for our shower (it cost either a dime or a quarter). Small wonder that so many of us are well off today. We learned to be resourceful at an early age. None of us could go to our parents and say...I need 50 bucks to go to the State tournament. The lies I told my mother to get her permission to attend!

Great story Veep. :thumb:

The difference in the game in my opinion was the Birds could not get open shots to fall in the first half, and they dropped in the second. They had plenty of open shots in the first half that just wouldn't go in.

Congrats to Dixie. Hatton obviously is a great player, but there are other very solid players on that team. Well done and good luck the rest of the way.

Congrats also to the Birds. Liked the fact they kept fighting to get back in the game. Thanks to the Seniors for their contributions and efforts over the years.

Pike was a non factor all night until those final 2 minutes when Dixie needed his competetiveness. His steal and putback was a backbreaker.

Walter, Hatton may have missed a couple open looks but what about the shots he hit with defenders in his grill from 12 feet out? Or the one handed 8 footer over Stewart on the baseline in the first half? I know you wish wish was wearing Bulldog red but his ability to score the basketball is like no other. He has been doing that since 3rd grade. I can't help appreciating the way he plays the game. No smack talk even after he puts one in your eye or gets the ball stolen from him.

Stansberry had a really nice first half but struggled in the 2nd with turnovers and couldn't check Stewart at all.

I would love to know Dixie's first half shooting % compared to Highlands. It seemed like everything was going in for them but nothing for the Birds.

All four Highlands Seniors should be proud of the way they finished their careers. They dealt with injuries all season and their record is not a reflection of how good they truly are. They had the top 2 teams in the 9th Region shaking in their boots these last two games. First NCC taking them to OT in the District Finals and last night clawing back from a 20 pt deficit. Hold your heads high boys as they are ALL good kids on and off the court.

Congrats to the Dixie Colonels for advancing to the semi-finals and to Brandon Hatton for making his 1000th point. Very big accomplishment for a 15 yr old young man. Hoping for huge success against the Boone Co. Rebels.

Amazing for a Freshman!:thumb:

That is an awesome story. Hope it is true, you are correct about kids asking for money. They were you out today.

Pike was a non factor all night until those final 2 minutes when Dixie needed his competetiveness. His steal and putback was a backbreaker.

Walter, Hatton may have missed a couple open looks but what about the shots he hit with defenders in his grill from 12 feet out? Or the one handed 8 footer over Stewart on the baseline in the first half? I know you wish wish was wearing Bulldog red but his ability to score the basketball is like no other. He has been doing that since 3rd grade. I can't help appreciating the way he plays the game. No smack talk even after he puts one in your eye or gets the ball stolen from him.

Stansberry had a really nice first half but struggled in the 2nd with turnovers and couldn't check Stewart at all.

I would love to know Dixie's first half shooting % compared to Highlands. It seemed like everything was going in for them but nothing for the Birds.

All four Highlands Seniors should be proud of the way they finished their careers. They dealt with injuries all season and their record is not a reflection of how good they truly are. They had the top 2 teams in the 9th Region shaking in their boots these last two games. First NCC taking them to OT in the District Finals and last night clawing back from a 20 pt deficit. Hold your heads high boys as they are ALL good kids on and off the court.

I thought Pike played well when he was on the floor, the problem was when he was sitting on the bench as a spectator. At one point in the game 6"1 Evans was guarding 6'7 Stewart for a few series. While it might not show up in the box score, his presence his known on the court imo.

I thought Stansberry had a nice defensive game with 7-8 blocks/deflections...altered some shots. Stewey got hot and hit some nice shots in the second half but was shut down in the first.

Trammel had a nice game on both ends of the floor..knocked down Dixie's only treys on the night. His defense is something special...it will be fun to watch the match up with Downs in the Boone game.

And Mr Hatton drops a cool 19 without the 3 ball...really nice job penetrating and hitting some tough shots....smart player. It really is quite an accomplishment as a Freshman to hit the 1000 point mark.

Hopefully he can add a regional championship to his resume.

Dixie Heights (27-3) - Hatton 7 5 19, Trammel 5 4 16, Stansberry 3 2 8, Pike 3 0 6, Hassel 1 2 4, F. Muntis 1 0 2. Totals 20 13 55.

Highlands (14-16) - Stewart 6 6 18, Towles 5 2 12, Egan 2 0 6, Crowley 2 0 5, Dean 0 2 2, Samson 0 2 2. 15 12 45.

Dixie Heights 16 16 10 13 - 55

Highlands 7 8 16 14 - 45

3-pointers: D 2 (Trammell). H 3 (Egan 2, Crowley).

Amazing for a Freshman!:thumb:

Hatton was the key difference maker in this one. His ability to penetrate and either go to the rim, or stop for a mid range jumper is exceptional. HHS' defenders couldn't stop him, and I don't think there is anyone in the 9th Region who can. What separates him from other younger players is his strength. His physicality is amazing. It will be fun to watch the Calipari's and Coach K's of the world dote over him for several years.