Dixie Heights 55 Highlands 45

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crowley got some good looks at times but generally was being guarded well. That is a luxury Dixie has where they can take a role player like that and simply ask him to shadow the other teams best scorer all night. Crowley made some nice drives to the rack where contact was obviously made but the refs swallowed their whistles each time. Somewhat inconsistent to the other end where they gave Hatton a couple calls that were weak. The one dark haired ref I don't believe called a single foul against Dixie the entire night. Mr No Call if you will when Highlands had the ball. Not a factor in outcome but clearly obvious. The 2nd foul call on Crowley with 2 min left in the first was WEAK at best. I saw the look in the refs eye aftet he blew the whistle, almost like he felt bad for calling it. Inadvertent contact and Trammel was in no way affected by the contact.

Hatton was the key difference maker in this one. His ability to penetrate and either go to the rim, or stop for a mid range jumper is exceptional. HHS' defenders couldn't stop him, and I don't think there is anyone in the 9th Region who can. What separates him from other younger players is his strength. His physicality is amazing. It will be fun to watch the Calipari's and Coach K's of the world dote over him for several years.

Good assessment of Hatton. For me his strength is the key to his game. He can use it to get to where he wants to on the floor and he hits contested shots because of his strength. His mid range game pulling up for the jumper off the dribble is something you see very little of in today's basketball. As to the Calipari's and Coach K's, as good as he is I am not sure about that. His size is going to hurt him when being considered at that level and judging how mature his body looks, I will be surprised if he adds more than an inch. That strength and under control game works great at this level but when you are being guarded by a 6'4" guard who is equal in strength and quicker ... will his game still be as effective. He will prove that one way or the other playing on the top tier AAU circuit. So we have a great high school guard that may be undersized for the top tier D1 game. Do we have another Chris Lofton situation developing?

Good assessment of Hatton. For me his strength is the key to his game. He can use it to get to where he wants to on the floor and he hits contested shots because of his strength. His mid range game pulling up for the jumper off the dribble is something you see very little of in today's basketball. As to the Calipari's and Coach K's, as good as he is I am not sure about that. His size is going to hurt him when being considered at that level and judging how mature his body looks, I will be surprised if he adds more than an inch. That strength and under control game works great at this level but when you are being guarded by a 6'4" guard who is equal in strength and quicker ... will his game still be as effective. He will prove that one way or the other playing on the top tier AAU circuit. So we have a great high school guard that may be undersized for the top tier D1 game. Do we have another Chris Lofton situation developing?

Let's hope UK doesn't lose him to Tennessee like Lofton.

Xavier is hot on his heels and if you look at their guards they are not that big. The one kid that can shoot lights out is actually a little smaller than Hatton. I like his chances of playing D-1 and a Major. The kid has high Basketball IQ and will work hard to improve his vertical and foot quickness. I have no doubt this kid will be playing on TV some day.

I like his composure and makeup, we call him old school as he has a lot of attributes from yester year. Mid range game body control to the rack and not mouthy. I am looking forward to watching him but hope he doesn't have as good supporting cast through the years.

I agree with you with Evans guarding Stewart at times. Same with Cohorn on Crowley when Hassell was on the bench. Dixie even had Bruns on the floor for defensive purposes. That's where Dixie has a slight advantage over most if not all the teams in the ninth.

I thought Pike played well when he was on the floor, the problem was when he was sitting on the bench as a spectator. At one point in the game 6"1 Evans was guarding 6'7 Stewart for a few series. While it might not show up in the box score, his presence his known on the court imo.

I thought Stansberry had a nice defensive game with 7-8 blocks/deflections...altered some shots. Stewey got hot and hit some nice shots in the second half but was shut down in the first.

Trammel had a nice game on both ends of the floor..knocked down Dixie's only treys on the night. His defense is something special...it will be fun to watch the match up with Downs in the Boone game.

And Mr Hatton drops a cool 19 without the 3 ball...really nice job penetrating and hitting some tough shots....smart player. It really is quite an accomplishment as a Freshman to hit the 1000 point mark.

Hopefully he can add a regional championship to his resume.

I think Zeke Pike needs to get some credit for this win. In that last couple of minutes when Highlands got to within two, Pike made one big play after another to get the win. Several key rebounds and then the steal and follow up basket. Pike's competitiveness that often hurts him came through at crunch time and would not let Dixie lose this one.

Give credit to the Bluebirds and a great job of coaching by Flynn. He righted the ship, put on the press, switched up the offense a little with some focus on the inside and all of a sudden a blow out is a ball game. Dixie lost their intensity at half time and really never got back on track until Pike made some plays at the end. Trammel put on a show of point guard play in the first half but struggled a little in the second. Same with Hatton. Stewart kept working despite being shut down most of the game and all of a sudden in Q4 the shots started to fall for him. It was a very interesting game.

Despite allowing Highlands to out play them in the second half and almost losing a huge lead, I still say Dixie is the favorite to win it. They have no weaknesses on their team. Very solid in every way.

No weaknesses on their team. I'll just say that's a stretch.

Is this rule the same for boys bb? How does the 9th Region count their points? is it just high school or do they count pre high school as well? Just curious.

Yes Ky. counts all their pts. but only 9-12 are counted on the national high school level for record purposes.

An inch more? He is 15 yrs old and has a 13 shoe. Has a n Uncle that is 6'10". I say 6'4"-6'5" with plenty of opportunity to play big time D1

Height isn't as important as athletic ability. If a school thinks he's athletic enough to guard on the perimeter he'll play D1. In my mind, it's that simple.

No weaknesses on their team. I'll just say that's a stretch.

Where do you see a weakness? They have size, speed, depth, top notch point guard, #1 2 guard in the area, two very solid big men, they play defense well, they get points inside and outside ... where is the weakness?