Do you plan on watching the State of the Union address-why/why not?

Nope. I've got the Cov Cath Hall Of Fame Induction dinner tonight, so I'll be listening to some much more entertaining speeches. I generally don't watch the State Of The Union Address though. However, I do read through it the next day.

(I had an old boss who informed me that I was not fulfilling my civic duty by watching it live. He didn't have much argument though when I asked him what I would have done previous to Coolidge's speech in 1923...the first time it was ever broadcast live, on the radio.)

Probably won't. I tried watching a few of Bush's and Obama's first one and have come to the conclusion that I know nothing more when it's over then when it started. There is nothing of substance and usually ends up with 15 mins of the President taking shots at the other side.

I generally watch until I become disinterested. I will admit I am sucker for the historical preservation of the State of the Union -- I always get the chills (tingling up my leg, I guess you could say) when the President is introduced and everyone is cheering his presence. For a brief stint I have faith in our system. Once the actual speech gets underway, politics is returned to its usual place with some parties cheering for some comments and some staying seated. Then I just watch until I get bored. Obama tends to get college professor on us all and I think most sit bumfuzzled across the states. Living in America we are always busy and have things to do. Cap the speech at 30 minutes, ask for all applause at the end of it, and call it a night. I really think approval ratings would go up 10 points if any President did this, no matter his message.

I'm with you. I expect nothing newsworthy to come out of it and , like LN, I don't care what a President "hopes" to do.

However, I do like the tradition which means if I'm not at a high school game (always a possibility) I will be tuned in.

I'm confused, LN. Do you want us to read your post or ignore it as it is just words? :idunno:

JK. :D

Seriously, I won't be watching either. For one, I'll be at work, but also for many of the same reasons you list. I'm politically jaded and the rhetoric gets old. Everything said or written is a stump speech and the address has become a production. I can skim the highlights later and then let time tell if he lives up to any promises made in the speech. And I definitely won't be tuning into any of the spin doctors afterwards.

If I ever run for President (now that's a scary thought :scared:) please don't vote for me based on any words I've typed on here. :D

Well, if they rebutted based on what they had just heard, and not what they had decided before the speech was presented, I would watch.

You realize that those rebutting the SOTU are given advanced copies of the speech so they can prepare their rebuttals don't you?

I won't watch because I have to work and even if I didn't I likely wouldn't watch.

Here is a preview of some things to expect tonight:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110125/ts_yblog_theticket/giffords-hero-intern-to-attend-state-of-the-union-as-colleagues-pay-tribute-to-the-injured-arizona-lawmak

The video of the Ice Cream Shop in this link is interesting. It shows the impact of small business.

You realize that those rebutting the SOTU are given advanced copies of the speech so they can prepare their rebuttals don't you?

I won't watch because I have to work and even if I didn't I likely wouldn't watch.

If I knew that I must have forgot it, but it makes sense.