Do you plan on watching the State of the Union address-why/why not?

The hype leading up to tonight's address has compelled me to visit this forum again to ask the question: do you plan on watching the State of the Union address and if so, why; if not, why not?

I do not plan on watching it. Not because it's a Democratic President delivering the address, as I didn't watch the addresses when we had Republican Presidents.

Rather, it's simply because words mean nothing to me. Perhaps because of my profession, I've become jaded towards the spoken (and written) word. President Obama can say he's going to take a centrist approach over the remaining years of his first term and perhaps he will. Then again, he said the same thing on the campaign stump when he ran for the Presidency and in my opinion he has, with a few exceptions, not done so.

I look at this address as nothing other than 1. another campaign speech as President Obama heads toward 2012, 2. President Obama dealing with the political reality of the House now being controlled by Republicans (which mandates a more centrist rhetoric) as opposed to a true expression of his political beliefs, and 3. President Obama reacting to what happened in Arizona recently and the current mood of the American electorate on that situation.

As in the past, I'll continue to judge President Obama (and every other elected official) not by the words he says but by the actions he takes. President Obama can get me to believe that he will now govern from a more centrist position than during his first years, but it will take more centrist actions; not more centrist words.

And I don't plan on listening to the Republican response either. More words.

I do not feel I will be less informed by not watching by the way. Given my low valuation of words, there is little valid information I can gain about President Obama (or any other elected official) by listening to him talk.

Perhaps my user name should be changed to Doubting Thomas (although since I am no where near a Saint, perhaps not). :D

I'm confused, LN. Do you want us to read your post or ignore it as it is just words? :idunno:

JK. :D

Seriously, I won't be watching either. For one, I'll be at work, but also for many of the same reasons you list. I'm politically jaded and the rhetoric gets old. Everything said or written is a stump speech and the address has become a production. I can skim the highlights later and then let time tell if he lives up to any promises made in the speech. And I definitely won't be tuning into any of the spin doctors afterwards.

Well, I hadn't planned to, but it seems like VOR will be the only one who does if I don't. :D

Seriously, I am planning to watch, just as I watch every SOTU address. This is important, IMO, as this is the time when we get to here more than a sound byte of what the President (no matter his name) has to say. I likely won't watch the rebuttals, though. They always seem to have reached their conclusions prior to the speech and are presented strictly along party lines with no real objectivity, IMO.

I generally watch until I become disinterested. I will admit I am sucker for the historical preservation of the State of the Union -- I always get the chills (tingling up my leg, I guess you could say) when the President is introduced and everyone is cheering his presence. For a brief stint I have faith in our system. Once the actual speech gets underway, politics is returned to its usual place with some parties cheering for some comments and some staying seated. Then I just watch until I get bored. Obama tends to get college professor on us all and I think most sit bumfuzzled across the states. Living in America we are always busy and have things to do. Cap the speech at 30 minutes, ask for all applause at the end of it, and call it a night. I really think approval ratings would go up 10 points if any President did this, no matter his message.

Well, I hadn't planned to, but it seems like VOR will be the only one who does if I don't. :D

Seriously, I am planning to watch, just as I watch every SOTU address. This is important, IMO, as this is the time when we get to here more than a sound byte of what the President (no matter his name) has to say. I likely won't watch the rebuttals, though. They always seem to have reached their conclusions prior to the speech and are presented strictly along party lines with no real objectivity, IMO.

How's that any different than the SOTU speech?

Watch the highlights on CNN or FOX and they'll let you know the meat of the speech in 2 minutes, of course with their individual spins.

See, I think a lot can be learned from body language, inflection of tone, and context of phrasing. So, I don't think the 2 minute version realy tells the whole story.

See, I think a lot can be learned from body language, inflection of tone, and context of phrasing. So, I don't think the 2 minute version realy tells the whole story.

What is there to learn? The President is a great speaker and will feed people the rhetoric they want to hear. He will smile when it is appropriate to do so and he'll speak sternly when it's appropriate to do so. And a large portion of the viewing public will eat it up.

What is there to learn? The President is a great speaker and will feed people the rhetoric they want to hear. He will smile when it is appropriate to do so and he'll speak sternly when it's appropriate to do so. And a large portion of the viewing public will eat it up.

Sound bytes completely butcher a speech. Often a phrase is taken out of context and exploited by the media or the talking heads of either party, and when heard within the full context it's clear that the meaning isn't as it is trying to be portrayed. This is true of any speaker, but especially of Presidents, current and past.

Although an excellent speaker, at times Obama has sounded too "rehearsed" and sometimes doesn't seem sincere. IMO, when he truly believes what he's saying, he's more relaxed and much more (for lack of a better word) passionate.

Again, just my thoughts.

Sound bytes completely butcher a speech. Often a phrase is taken out of context and exploited by the media or the talking heads of either party, and when heard within the full context it's clear that the meaning isn't as it is trying to be portrayed. This is true of any speaker, but especially of Presidents, current and past.

Although an excellent speaker, at times Obama has sounded too "rehearsed" and sometimes doesn't seem sincere. IMO, when he truly believes what he's saying, he's more relaxed and much more (for lack of a better word) passionate.

Again, just my thoughts.

I don't disagree, and that's why I will not watch the SOTU nor any sound clips / highlights.