The Scribe

Who wins the game?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the game?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the beginning of the year, I really felt like Mayfield was the team to beat in 1a. They had 17 returning starters, got Fred Brown back after a year of injury and then got the transfer Hatchell from Caldwell Co..I even thought they had a shot at running the table..Then when they got hammered by Marshall Co in the 2nd game, followed by a heartbreaking loss to Hopkinsville in the 3rd and then gave the game to Tilghman in the 5th game, I thought I may have been overestimating there talent and ability. Little did anyone know, at the time, how good Marshall really was and that Hopkinsville may have lacked some star quality talent of past teams, but, they were still pretty solid, as was Tilghman..But, since that loss to PT, the Cardinals have reeled off 8 straight wins in convincing fashion and seem to be getting better every week..Since about midseason, I've felt Bardstown deserved to be ranked #1, ahead of the traditional "Big 4" because it seemed they were playing the best ball and were the only undefeated team left in 1a, and, I think they'll be the favorite in this game and well should be, but, imo, there going into unfamiliar territory with a 4 hour drive against a very hot and hungry team. I look for the Tigers to have a few big plays and the Cards to play ball control, grind it out football and the way the Cards OL and DL has played these past few weeks and there strong kicking game, look for this to be the difference....Mayfield 17 Bardtown 14

This one should be a WAR...both Defenses have given up very little and nothing should change this week...the game could come down like most sub-state games...which team can control the line of scrimmage and which team can create the most turnovers...and this could be the game where special teams decide the outcome. I am just glad the game is here in Mayfield and hopefully the red and black faithful come out in full force.

Some little things to note:

Bardstown non-district schedule were teams that went:

5-5, 6-5, 0-10, 7-4

Mayfield's non-district schedule were teams going: 3-7, 9-2, 9-4, 7-5, 2-8, 7-5

Bardstown likes to run and doesn't pass much...Mayfield's strength is run defense...If Mayfield contains the corners I don't see Bardstown being successful that often. However, with that said, Bardstown quick line shooting gaps could make for a tough night for the Cards as well.

I see this one close and low scoring, with the team that has less turnovers prevailing! This game will be a battle of field position. My early week take:

Cards-23

Tigers-15

Bardstown can't be stopped period!

BTOWN 45

FIELD 7

I can assure you Mayfield hasn't seen speed like this all year, just ask the Admirals!

Personally i'd show a little more respect for a storied 1st class program like Mayfield, but that's just me. But, I will agree that you guys do have speed to burn.

Personally i'd show a little more respect for a storied 1st class program like Mayfield, but that's just me. But, I will agree that you guys do have speed to burn.

I wasnt trying to disgrace the mayfield team or program in any way. Was just trying to get my point across that B-Town wont be stopped. Maybe i said it a little too strong :thumb:

Bardstown is undefeated, #1 ranked and just knocked off in convincing fashion the flagship program in class A in Danville. It does not take a rocket scientist to see who is the overwhelming favorite in this game is.

Mayfield on the other hand has struggled to a 10-3 record despite lofty preseason expectations and has largely flown under the radar of most espically those upstate. They have played their best football of the year as of late but it has been against a weaker schedule than what they faced early on. The Cards defense will face a tough test in keeping the Tigers speed merchant offense in check. Defense has been the strong suit of the Cards all year and other than a week 2 meltdown at Marshall County they have proven to be a formidable foe. The Cards defense is not loaded with speed merchants but has very good team speed from top to bottom. Their non district schedule was loaded with speed in the form of Marshall Co, Hoptown and PT (all losses) but that was not the fault of the Cards defense which was formidable all season long. Control of the line of scrimmage is gonna be crucial for both Btown and Mayfield. The Cards are blessed to have Brad Lawson, the defensive guru who almost always has Mayfield's defense prepared and playing well.

On offense Mayfield tends to prefer to run and likes to do so by committee with 4 solid threats including arguably the best running QB is school history. The passing game of late has made great strides and despite the Cards preference to run they have done a nice job of mixing it up when they have to but not until it is clear that they must. Btowns defense is gonna have the speed to make getting around the corners next to impossible so I look for the Cards to try and line down and probe the Btown defense between the tackles and sprinkle in passes and QB designed keepers. The Cards are blessed to have a possible D-1 fullback in Hatchell and two hard running backs that will keep a frest rotation to try and run straight at Btown. If Mayfield can get some penetration up front they should have some success and nullify alot of Btowns speed advantage.

Special teams for Mayfield is a tale of two different stories. The Cards boast one of class A's best kickers who is proven and capable from inside the 30. The Cards also boost above average kicker on kickoffs and punting but kickoff coverage has been a major problem much of the year.

From talking with some of my Ad conterparts I think Mayfield may beable to find some success running right at Btown but if not it will be a uphill battle for the Cards.

As in any game penalities and turnovers figure to play a big role in the outcome. Both of which have hurt the Cards at times this year.

I have no prediction at this time and still need to learn more about Btown, a team I admittedly know to little about.

Bardstown cant be stoped period!

BTOWN 45

FIELD 7

I can assure you Mayfield hasnt seen speed like this all year, just ask the admirals!

How would the Admirals know if Mayfields seen this kind of speed..Last i looked, they didn't have any common opponents...We all know about the speed, its been well documented, but, theres alot more to winning games than just speed...You might need a little size upfront and solid blocking or speed is irrellevent and, hey, if you got it and you come to Mayfield and lay the wood to them, more power to you and I'll wish you well in the finals, but, believe me, theres been many a team for many years, who's came to War Memorial with that same attitude and went home with there tails between there legs...Good luck fri night..

By the way, thanks for the bulletin board material...

Last I looked, Hoptown and Tilghman weren't to shabby in the speed department. Milan Tennessee had speed and Mayfield took it to them. If Mayfield's line whipp's Bardstown's, I promise you Bardstown will be in for a long night. I have said all season long, it will take a heck of a class A team to defeat Mayfield. If Bardstown is that team then so be it. The game is at Mayfield which is to our advantage and personally I like Mayfield's odds.

The Danville win was very big for Bardstown fans. They haven't been this far since winning state in '01 (in AA) and haven't been here in Class A since '93 (Fulton Co.) Understand they are a little excited right now.

Looking forward to this one. As Bardstown's head coach says, "we don't look like much when we get off the bus," but the Tigers have it where it counts. They have a very undersized line with an oversized work ethic. They run sort of a 3-3-5 on defense and the down lineman keep folks off the linebackers, who will punish you. #44 Melvin Scott (MLB) hit Danville so hard it was making me hurt in the stands.

The speed thing is interesting. While it certainly helps offensively, at this stage of the game the good teams can track down speed. The question is, can they track it down with more than one or two defenders, because Bardstown might make you miss. Danville was getting to the corners on defense, but Bardstown made 'em miss once they got there. 48 running plays, 248 rushing yards against a fine, fine defense. QB Brian Calhoun is cool, collected, and smart.

Where the speed helps more is on defense. If Bardstown gets caught out of position, it doesn't last for very long.

Holy Cross and Danville had bigger, stronger lines who tried to "run it right at" Bardstown. B-Town did fine against that philosophy, and the same should hold true against Mayfield. For some reason, it appears that the Tigers are overlooked, even in their local area, which I'm sure is O.K. with them.

Like the Danville game, this game will be won in the trenches. If Mayfield has a middle linebacker or other defenders like Holy Cross' (Wes McDermott - stud) and forces B-Town turnovers, they may win. If not, I think B-Town is rolling pretty good, and I'm going to say Tigers 21, Cardinals 7.

The Bardstown seniors are much too good to let 4 hour drives bother them. I have heard that War Memorial is good for a touchdown for the home team.

BTW, thinking about coming down to Mayfield early since everyone has the day off. Can anyone recommend some good eateries or places to browse?