Mayfield vs. Bardstown predictions

The Scribe

Who wins the game?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the game?

Bardstown has proven they can be a closer. Danville was a great come-from-behind team (Somerset, Southwestern, Holy Cross, et. al.), and Bardstown delivered its knockout punch to the Ads in the 4th. :fight: Also, these track stars don't seem to get tired.

I think his question was, has Bardstown had to play from behind at any point this year...If not, you don't know how they'll react if they get behind?? Not saying they will, but, simply clarifying Snakes question..

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his question was, has Bardstown had to play from behind at any point this year...If not, you don't know how they'll react if they get behind?? Not saying they will, but, simply clarifying Snakes question..

They have not really played from behind. Midseason, Holy Cross was up early but Bardstown re-took the lead and never looked back. They were tied with Larue Co. in Week 1 at halftime. I think that because Bardstown has been pretty good at "finishing," they have not really let teams come back on them.

If I were Mr. No Name I would be careful what I said....and not give the Cards too much bullentin board material. I'm sure lots of Tiger fans wish and hope Bardstown act like they've been here before. I just wonder if the Tigers have a let down after getting over the "titletown" team! Yes, The Tigers are good, fast, and respected but what happens when Blake Rust, Logan Armstorng, Josh Hatchell, or Brent Simpkins get physical with them through a scheme constrewed by Coach Lawson to limit that speed. Good luck to the Tigers and hope the faithful have a safe trip down. Once again, this game will be determined by momentum and turnovers!

Man the type of hype this game is getting this game ought to be a lot of fun to watch...will be interesting to see how well that Bardstown reacts to being this far for the first time in a long time and as well as having to drive 4 hours down here on Friday. Glad that we get to host the game. Another interesting thing will be to see how the Cards react to being the "underdog" again to a team that everyone outside of Mayfield predicts them to lose too. Hopefully they will come out with the same attitude and focus that they have shown the past two games against the other teams that many people thought would knock out the Big Red Machine. Once again this team has jelled together well and is playing their best ball of the season at the time that you are supposed to do so. Will be interesting how Coach Lawson prepares for this Friday night to stop Bardstown's quick strike offense...and just how Coach Morris will attack Bardstown's defense. And whoever said that Mayfield was big...has obviously not seen us this year...we have decent size kids...but their hearts...and hits...are much bigger than their size. Should be an outstanding game that should not be decided until late in the contest. Good luck to both teams and as of right now the weather looks like it will be decent with partly cloudy skies highs in the mid 40's and lows in the 20's...so hopefully Mother Nature is a football fan and will cooperate. I believe that the game will be decided by special teams whether that be a missed PAT, made FG, or a TD on a kickoff or punt return. Games of this magnitude usually are as it should be a defensive struggle. Now that I have said that watch it be a 48-45 game...which would be fun too. I will predict this one with my heart....Cards make it to Papa Johns 17-14.

Another interesting thing will be to see how the Cards react to being the "underdog" again to a team that everyone outside of Mayfield predicts them to lose too.

Who is predicting Mayfield as the underdog? Around here, despite beating Danville, everyone is saying the Tigers got lucky with turnovers and still don't have the line. They're favoring the Birds.

I echo the sentiment for Mr. No Name - Let's not provide any locker room material please! :scared:

I am encouraged after a little study of Btown. I think we should find success pounding the ball straight at them and letting Shelton use short play action passing and his quick feet. Had Danville taken this approach and limited their turnovers they might have been okay. Our defense is one of the best in class A, it wont give up alot. Special teams coverage troubles me, to have a good shot it has got to play well

Toothpick...I totally agree with your comments....I have heard the same thing from some of the people that have seen B'town play that they have the speed to run things down on the corners but if a team has the capability to line up and take it at the Tigers then that is the best shot...which plays perfectly into the Cardinals game plan...now it just comes down to execution. I also agree that Mayfields special teams MUST play its best game of the season...especially on kickoff and punt coverage. If we give up the same amount of yardage to Bardstown that we did Metcalfe then we could be in trouble. McNutt needs to be able to get that extra couple of yards and get the ball into the endzone like he did during the first half of the season...but I know it is extremly difficult to get the ball into the endzone with a colder and harder football.

I also hope that we get different officials than what was down here last week...you know it is bad when you shutout a team and still complain about officiating. Hopefully the zebras will let the kids decide it this Friday and keep their hankies in their pockets for most of the game.

Toothpick...I totally agree with your comments....I have heard the same thing from some of the people that have seen B'town play that they have the speed to run things down on the corners but if a team has the capability to line up and take it at the Tigers then that is the best shot...which plays perfectly into the Cardinals game plan...now it just comes down to execution. I also agree that Mayfields special teams MUST play its best game of the season...especially on kickoff and punt coverage. If we give up the same amount of yardage to Bardstown that we did Metcalfe then we could be in trouble. McNutt needs to be able to get that extra couple of yards and get the ball into the endzone like he did during the first half of the season...but I know it is extremly difficult to get the ball into the endzone with a colder and harder football.

I also hope that we get different officials than what was down here last week...you know it is bad when you shutout a team and still complain about officiating. Hopefully the zebras will let the kids decide it this Friday and keep their hankies in their pockets for most of the game.

What about Bardstowns pass coverage? We know that Mayfield has a passing game. What is your take on our passing game vs. Bardstown?

Another interesting thing will be to see how the Cards react to being the "underdog" again to a team that everyone outside of Mayfield predicts them to lose too.

Who is predicting Mayfield as the underdog? Around here, despite beating Danville, everyone is saying the Tigers got lucky with turnovers and still don't have the line. They're favoring the Birds.

I echo the sentiment for Mr. No Name - Let's not provide any locker room material please! :scared:

I think what you are hearing is from the Danville fans saying that you got lucky, I have been hearing big things about Bardstown all year.

Mayfield doesn't get any respect from people east of the KY Lake area. In 2003, the year after we won state, we were ranked like fifth in the polls. IMO, a team should be ranked #1 in the polls the year after if they won the state championship, at least that is the way it works for all the other teams, :irked:

As for the locker room material, I doubt anything on here is going to be of much use to the coaches. Mayfield will show some stuff on Friday that nobody has seen yet, just ask Crittenden and Metcalfe, when playoff time comes around, it seems like Mayfield becomes a totally different team, I love it!!

What about Bardstowns pass coverage? We know that Mayfield has a passing game. What is your take on our passing game vs. Bardstown?

I don't think you'll go deep, our cover corners are good. If you don't pick up LB stunts, it'll be lights out too. Do you have a TE who runs good routes?

I think what you are hearing is from the Danville fans saying that you got lucky, I have been hearing big things about Bardstown all year.

Mayfield doesn't get any respect from people east of the KY Lake area. In 2003, the year after we won state, we were ranked like fifth in the polls. IMO, a team should be ranked #1 in the polls the year after if they won the state championship, at least that is the way it works for all the other teams, :irked:

As for the locker room material, I doubt anything on here is going to be of much use to the coaches. Mayfield will show some stuff on Friday that nobody has seen yet, just ask Crittenden and Metcalfe, when playoff time comes around, it seems like Mayfield becomes a totally different team, I love it!!

Trust me, there is plenty of respect for Mayfield. I think the usual gibberish you all here is about Region 2 being stronger than Region 1, which I believe it is, but you all still abused your opponents, so this is a good contest.

We had outstanding officiating in the Danville game, they let the boys play, they were from Louisville. Maybe we could convince them to drive 5 hours the day after Thanksgiving? ;)

I don't think you'll go deep, our cover corners are good. If you don't pick up LB stunts, it'll be lights out too. Do you have a TE who runs good routes?

Talk about mirror images...that is what we have...shutdown corners and linebackers that come from all angles and punish you when you get there...sounds like each team will be going virtually against themselves. Good thing about the Cards is that the boys can hurt you in so many different ways offensively...from the two-tight bone, to the power-I, Wing-T, and the spread formation all without having to change personnel to tip off the opposing coaching staff as to what is coming. And yes we do have a big, quick tight end that has good hands and run good routes.

We have heard that Bardstown is fast...what about your QB how is he with his pocket presence and does he scramble well?

GO CARDS!!! :ylsuper: