Mayfield vs. Bardstown predictions

The Scribe

Who wins the game?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the game?

I think Mayfield needs a low-scoring game. From the sound of things, Bardstown has as much or more team speed than any A or 2A team in the state. The Cardinals can keep the score down by playing their typical ball-control game, and for that they have to control the line of scrimmage. I just don't see how Mayfield can win a track meet with the two-time state champs in track.

Considering the way Bardstown beat Danville, I would say they are the favorite.

I agree they are the favorite

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The poll is tightening up...Everyone I've talked to has told me the same thing about what Bardstown is going to do to you.

On offense, they are simply going to run sweeps and tosses and try to beat you with that speed to the corner. Then they hand it off with a quick hitter to their fullback alot once you try to cheat to the corners. They won't beat you with the pass, and they will try the HB toss pass most likely.

On defense, the Tigers are going to try and stunt up the middle, shoot the gaps, or blitz from the outside on several plays as their small lightning quick line can beat most O-Lines. Their opposition can't run a one back set against them and win, but teams have been successful with the I and Wishbone, because the quick "D" must pick a player and sometimes over extends itself and has to try and catchup. Luckily, these formations are Mayfield's bread and butter!

Everyone knows that Mayfield is going to run and control the clock. This one comes down to which coaching staff prepares the better plan and has their kids ready to play. Should be a close game with a coverage breakdown or special teams making the difference as stated before!

:banana: :ylsuper: :D :thumb: :sssh:

The poll is tightening up...Everyone I've talked to has told me the same thing about what Bardstown is going to do to you.

On offense, they are simply going to run sweeps and tosses and try to beat you with that speed to the corner. Then they hand it off with a quick hitter to their fullback alot once you try to cheat to the corners. They won't beat you with the pass, and they will try the HB toss pass most likely.

On defense, the Tigers are going to try and stunt up the middle, shoot the gaps, or blitz from the outside on several plays as their small lightning quick line can beat most O-Lines. Their opposition can't run a one back set against them and win, but teams have been successful with the I and Wishbone, because the quick "D" must pick a player and sometimes over extends itself and has to try and catchup. Luckily, these formations are Mayfield's bread and butter!

Everyone knows that Mayfield is going to run and control the clock. This one comes down to which coaching staff prepares the better plan and has their kids ready to play. Should be a close game with a coverage breakdown or special teams making the difference as stated before!

Yup, this is gonna be one exciting one to say the least!! I just hope the Mayfield faithful come out in numbers, I have been really upset with the fan support in the past two games, I was certain that people would come to playoff games, really sad.

Three big psychological factors: 1)Bardstown having the "feeling of winning state" by downing Danville 2)the long ride to Mayfield/homefield advantage for the Cards 3)Mayfield feeling they still have something to prove. You can talk all you want but these are 15-18 year old young men and emotions and mental preparations are huge. So, having seen neither team play but knowing that both have to be very good teams to be in the final four, I give the edge to Mayfield in a close game based on these 3 factors.

Three big psychological factors: 1)Bardstown having the "feeling of winning state" by downing Danville 2)the long ride to Mayfield/homefield advantage for the Cards 3)Mayfield feeling they still have something to prove. You can talk all you want but these are 15-18 year old young men and emotions and mental preparations are huge. So, having seen neither team play but knowing that both have to be very good teams to be in the final four, I give the edge to Mayfield in a close game based on these 3 factors.

Good points, and when Bardstown sees our locker rooms at War Memorial, they may get sick, lol. I wish someone would fix our stuff, not like there isn't the money there to do it, I think it is about time, :irked:

Good points, and when Bardstown sees our locker rooms at War Memorial, they may get sick, lol. I wish someone would fix our stuff, not like there isn't the money there to do it, I think it is about time, :irked:

What's wrong with the visitor's facilities at War Memorial?

I totally agree with you BigRed that the facilities are far outdated...and as someone who is there week end and week out they could sure use an extreme makeover. War memorial is still a great place to watch a game on a Friday night...just wish that Graves and Mayfield would come together to update the rest of the facilities like what Hoptown and Christian County did...and if those two hated schools can agree to on a stadium and the facilities then Mayfield and Graves ought to be able to do the same.

With that being said it is going to be a long week until Friday...and for those that have not heard...kick off is set for 6pm CST at War Memorial. So thank goodness that they did not make it an afternoon game.

With that being said it is going to be a long week until Friday...and for those that have not heard...kick off is set for 6pm CST at War Memorial. So thank goodness that they did not make it an afternoon game.

Kickoff at 6? Is that posted somewhere official (not that I distrust you)? :cool:

Kickoff at 6? Is that posted somewhere official (not that I distrust you)? :cool:

Why couldn't Danville work this out with us all those years? Our games at Danville have always been at 7:30, which always made getting home a horrible drive.

Tigers' D-Line does not try and beat you. They keep O-line off and the backers make the plays. Who claims to have been successful running "I" and wishbone against us?

Tigers' D-Line does not try and beat you. They keep O-line off and the backers make the plays. Who claims to have been successful running "I" and wishbone against us?

From the coaches that I have talked to that have played the Tigers...that is where they say that there teams had the most success was directly at them...although can't be too successful as no one has found a way yet to beat the Tigers...but I am gonna go out on a limb and say this will be the most diverse offense that Bardstown has seen...maybe not the best...but the most diverse and with more weapons that can hurt you. We have seen teams try to take away Rust and Hatchell and Dumas burn you and vice versa...plus if a team comes up too close then Shelton can burn you with the pass...I look for Adam to be the big playmaker this coming Friday...as he is such dual threat with his arm or his running ability...neither of which we have needed yet in these playoffs...but I look for Adam to have a breakout game this week. Plus when you get Rust and Hatchell both out as blockers they can open up so many holes to run through...the coaches on both teams will earn their pay this week with trying to come up with game plans to stop the other team's offense and defense. To quote one of the alltime announcing greats "WHOA NELLY....THIS IS GONNA BE A WHALE OF A BALLGAME"

GO CARDS