Favorite/Best College Basketball Announcer?

oldrambler

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While the first two are controversial, the last one leaves me dumbfounded.

Seriously? Violent cuts? Covers so much ground in two dribbles? I slept on Adolf Rupp's couch? You want to take shots from the free throw line, at the rim, and the extended lane? You don't want to turn the ball over on your half of the court? Really?

mobaar, Point taken. I must say that you make a strong case on this. Come to think of it, I just changed my position on him. I must have been hit in the head with a "high school Harry" pass.

Cawood is still the King, no better during or after his years. May the voice of the Wildcats R.I.P..

I have to go with Gus Johnson and Clark Kellog.

Worst: Musburger and Knight. They are just plain bad.

I think Kellog is flat out terrible and but I agree on Musburger being bad and I like Gus Johnson as well and had forgotten about him.. Knight imo is by far the most knowledgeable. I hated his actions and pc's as a coach but the man has forgottem more basketball than most, no imo any of us will ever know and I really like his commentary.

(btw.....you didn't mention him but imo Bilas comes off as a pompass jerk. I cannot stand to hear him.)

TV. best ever was the late Al McGuire

:thumb: Absolutely!!

I don't need a play-by-play guy for TV (I can see), much less some know-it-all second guessing everything (I do enough of that myself.), so I rarely have the sound up on the TV during a basketball game. (Color men are a waste of broadcast time in any sport. I don't understand the appeal.)

That leaves radio and the best ever was Cawood Ledford, especially before they had Ralph Hacker do color. When I was a kid, Hacker only gave scores and updates from the bench. Cawood did the game by himself and was tremendous. In a time when TV games were rare, I could lay in my bed, close my eyes, and be where ever the Cats were playing.

The only one that comes close, in my mind, is Gene Deckhoff, voice of the Semenoles and the Bucs. I'm not a 'Noles fan, per say, but I love to hear Gene call a game, football, basketball, or baseball.

USF's Jim Louk puts me to sleep and Florida's Mick Hubert makes my stomach roll .... "OH MY!!!"

mobaar, Point taken. I must say that you make a strong case on this. Come to think of it, I just changed my position on him. I must have been hit in the head with a "high school Harry" pass.

Cawood is still the King, no better during or after his years. May the voice of the Wildcats R.I.P..

Haha, glad I could help. I will go out on the limb with you and say I like listening to Bobby Knight.

I have to go with Gus Johnson and Clark Kellog. Second team is Vern Lunquist and Jay Bilas.

Worst: Musburger and Knight. They are just plain bad.

Can handle Knight because he has as much or more knowledge of the game than anyone but think Musburger one of the worse I have ever heard.

What, no love for Chuck Machock??? How can you go wrong with a color man who is such a homer that he picks up a "T" from the press table during an NCAA tournament game.

(If you can hold on during the intro commercial, the clip is pretty good.)

http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/video/?play=true&pid=_i4DT13qCCFQe3PF8gi3c_L5G3CuN5AO&nrd=1