Is Central a product of their schedule?

Walter

In Centrals' state title years, they've finished with the following records:

2007: 10-5 (Losses to 6A Manual, 6A Male, 6A St. Xavier, 5A Highlands, 5A Johnson Central)

2008: 11-3 (Losses to 6A Manual, 6A St. Xavier, 5A Highlands)

2010: 9-6 (Losses to 6A Seneca, 6A Ballard, 6A Male, 6A Manual, 6A St. Xavier, 6A PRP)

This year they started the season 1-5 and finished 4-6.

Is their tough out of district schedule the reason they're so good in the postseason? You learn a lot more from a loss than a win. Could this be why Central is so much better than the rest of the 3A competition? The tough losses that allow them to be coached up and ready for the playoffs?

Or is Central simply bigger, faster, stronger, more athletic, and more talented than everyone in 3A, regardless of their schedule?

It definitely helps. The schedule that Central played this season, as well as the schedules that they played over past seasons had them more prepared for postseason. I believe that it may have somewhat to do with their dominance in 3A, but maybe the rest of 3A has lacked a lot of what they have as well.

Tough schedules definately help teams especially from classes like 2A or 3A or even 1A for that matter get prepared for their playoff runs. I'd say all three State Champs from these classes had to face a couple tough out of region folks. So in terms of their dominance in 3A yeah, I'd say a bit has to do with who they play. I mean heck, after going up against the likes of a Male, Manual, or St. X I'd say rarely does Belfry, Moore, or even Paducah Tilghman seem that tough let alone a Somerset, Breathitt, or even E-Town. (not saying these teams aren't 3A good, just not on the same plain as the before mentioned 6A schools.

Still, I'd say as a whole how would Central stack up against the 2A or 4A champ would be a better indicator of how good they are. I just am not impressed overall with the 3A as a whole usually with the exception of Central.

2007: 10-5 (Losses to 6A Manual, 6A Male, 6A St. Xavier, 5A Highlands, 5A Johnson Central)

2010: 9-6 (Losses to 6A Seneca, 6A Ballard, 6A Male, 6A Manual, 6A St. Xavier, 6A PRP)

Is their tough out of district schedule the reason they're so good in the postseason? You learn a lot more from a loss than a win. Could this be why Central is so much better than the rest of the 3A competition? The tough losses that allow them to be coached up and ready for the playoffs?

Or is Central simply bigger, faster, stronger, more athletic, and more talented than everyone in 3A, regardless of their schedule?

I don't think you have to lose to learn, but you can learn about your own team through adversity.

Probably a little of both, although their talent level (speed, athleticism, etc) is definitely above the vast majority of 3A schools.

I couldn't agree more. I think there's a very good chance that Central, if they had played a typical 3A schedule, would have had better records and still won state without playing the big boys in 6A. I think they've simply been better than the rest of the class in their title years. However, there's no way that I can believe playing those great teams doesn't help them and make them a better team. After playing teams like that, nothing they see will surprise them or catch them unprepared. It's clear that the title goes through Central right now.

Generally, their speed has been the difference maker in the finals games and that's something you have (as a team) or you don't have. Playing a tougher schedule might have made Breathitt or Belfry a better team heading into the finals, but it wouldn't have made them faster, and that is where Central has beat them, IMO.

The answer to all three of your questions is YES.

They are a product of six classes. They look very undisiplined and not very good up front. From the look of some of their players, I would also assume they are out of shape at the begining of the season.

What do you mean "undisciplined"?

"Out of shape", how so?

What do you mean "undisciplined"?

"Out of shape", how so?

They had a player tapping his helmet to come out the first time the oppenent put together three first downs. Stances were poor. They lined up incorrectly several times. They lost at the point of attack and bounced it several times during the game, something that you won't do against a good football team with sucess. They also had a celebration penalty and multiple offsides. IMO, they didn't look like a very good football team.