9th Region Top 10 Players 2010/2011

Walter

No disrespect Mr. Walter because I truely value your opinion, but you mention Flesch & Smith as if there is no comparison. I have to ask if you have even seen Flesch play and if so how many times? Unfortunately, the Conner Scott game last season was cancelled due to weather. This would had made for a nice matchup. I know personally that Flesch has defended several higher level guards than Mr. Smith with great sucess. Names like Barksdale, Forrest, & Fucci come to mind. Not taking anything from Kellen because he is definately a top player in the 10th. The only matchup betweeen the 2 last year was at the state tournament at the KBA. There wasn't much separation in their numbers.

Smith - 5 pts, 2 rebounds, 8 assists, 4 turnovers, 3 steals, & 3 blocks

Flesch - 4 pts, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 turnover, 2 steals, & 0 blocks.

Fair enough. My debate, however, was with your statement of Flesch reminding you of 'The Eraser' aka Arrez Henderson.

That, my friend, is not even a comparison worth debating. Holmes fan or not, I think the majority would rule that Flesch is no where near the caliber player that Henderson was. He shut down Ty Profitt (future Notre Dame signee), Landon Slone (future UK walk on), Vee Sanford (saw time last year as a frosh in the Big East for G'Town), and he dropped 18 on curent Uk starter and former Mr. Basketball, Darius Miller....all while being a whole 6'0 at best.

To mention Flesch as being the same type of player as Henderson, is somewhat disespectful to Arrez' game. Jacob also has no where near the strength that Arrez had. I'm good friends with Jake's aunt, so please don't think I'm bashing the kid...just stating the obvious. Good 9th region player, yes. Same level as some of the past greats in the 9th? No.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the past two seasons Smith has led Northern Kentucky in assists and averaged 9 ppg and 13 ppg respectively. District MVP two years in a row, All 10th Region, CJ Honorable Mention All State and if he was in the 9th Region would be a top 3 player with Giesler and Thelen. As it is he is a top 5 player in the loaded 10th Region. Flesch is a good player but not the same caliber player as Smith. Put up the stats from last two years on the varsity level and then make that comparison.

Unforunately due to injury, Flesch only has one year of varsity under his belt. He was slated as the starter for Conner his sophmore year, but was diagnosed with a lower back fracture after their second exhibition game. He had to sit out that year. His junior year was his first true year of varsity and still managed to put up nice numbers. The idea that Smith would be top 3 in the 9th with Thelan and Giesler is very debatable and I think Stauffer may have something to say about that.

Unforunately due to injury, Flesch only has one year of varsity under his belt. He was slated as the starter for Conner his sophmore year, but was diagnosed with a lower back fracture after their second exhibition game. He had to sit out that year. His junior year was his first true year of varsity and still managed to put up nice numbers. The idea that Smith would be top 3 in the 9th with Thelan and Giesler is very debatable and I think Stauffer may have something to say about that.

Put up their numbers from last year and compare then and look at the schedule they played to post those numbers. Scott played a much tougher schedule. While you may not put Smith in the top 3 players in the 9th he would be in the conversation. As it is he will probably be ranked in the top 5 players in the 10th Region where the talent level is significantly higher this year than in the 9th. As I said earlier Flesch is a good player but you really can't compare their resumes.

Due to the amount of variables such as schedule and team play is why I chose to only post the stats from their head to head meeting. Scott and Conner play a different style of ball against different opponents. This may influence certain stats. I like the head to head meetings and look forward to being able to see one this year. It will no doubt make for interesting viewing.

I'm expecting a solid season from Stansberry this year as well.

If Dixie gets a big year from Stansberry they will be awfully tough with their guard play.

I said this earlier in the summer. Stansberry is a big key to Dixie's success, IMO.

Pike, Haton, Tammel and Stansbury have all been mentioned on here. Is Dixie really going to be that good this year?:idunno:

They will have one of the strongest teams they've had in a while...but that's a topic for a different thread.