Kobe vs. Jordan

Who is better......Kobe or Jordan?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better......Kobe or Jordan?

Kobe a better passer and ball handler? The stats don't back that up.

PP as you said Kobe is better at some things. But it's only two categories in FT and 3point shooting. He is half a percentage better in FT shooting and a little over 1% better shooting threes not much of a difference. Through the same amount of years, Jordan has averaged 5 more points per game, over a rebound and assist more, nearly double the steals and even has more blocks.

Jordan was also THE man on all 6 of his title teams. So far Kobe can only say that once, no matter how you slice it. Jordan had to compete with some of the best teams of all-time when he was coming to the top...The Showtime Lakers, Bird's Celtics and the Bad Boys. At what point in time has Kobe ever played against a team as good as those? Maybe one of the Spurs teams? Possibly the 2008 Celtics were somewhat close?

There just isn't a valid argument to say that Kobe should even be in the conversation. Kobe's 4 or 5 titles don't measure up to Jordan's because Kobe was 2nd fiddle for the first 3. I don't think those titles should carry as much weight as Jordan's did. Jordan has 6 Finals MVPs and 5 MVP's to Kobe's 1 Finals MVP and 1 MVP in the regular season.

Jordan was the better scorer, rebounder, passer, and defender. If Kobe's only defense is that he barely shot better at the 3 point line and FT line, I don't see how much of a comparison the two can really have. Actually I'd love to know how he passed Magic Johnson.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?

Bryant holds or shares numerous Lakers franchise records:

* Career: 25,331 (as of March 1, 2010)

o Surpassed Jerry West, the previous holder of the record, on February 1, 2010

* Season: 2,832 (2005–06)

* Game: 81 (on January 22, 2006 vs. Toronto Raptors)

* Half: 55 (2nd half, on January 22, 2006 vs. Toronto Raptors)[5]

* Quarter: 30 (twice, most recently on November 30, 2006 in 3rd quarter vs. Utah Jazz)

* Games scoring 60 points or more, career: 5 (as of March 1, 2010)

* Games scoring 50 points or more, career: 24 (as of March 1, 2010)

* Games scoring 50 points or more, season: 10 (2006–07)

* Games scoring 40 points or more, career: 104 (as of March 1, 2010)

* Games scoring 40 points or more, season: 27 (2005–06)

* Consecutive games of 50 points or more: 4 (March 16–23, 2007)

o Behind Wilt Chamberlain (7 consecutive games five times in 1961–62)

* Consecutive games of 40 points or more: 9 (February 6–23, 2003)

o Tied with Michael Jordan (1986–87) and behind Wilt Chamberlain (14 consecutive games twice in 1961–62 and 10 consecutive games in 1962–63)

* Field goals made and attempted

* Half: 18 (2nd half, on January 22, 2006 vs. Toronto Raptors)

* Half attempts: 28 (tied with Elgin Baylor; on November 17, 2002 at Boston Celtics)

* Half, playoffs: 12 (tied with Elgin Baylor; on April 20, 2003 at Minnesota Timberwolves)

* Quarter: 11 (twice, most recently on January 22, 2006 vs. Toronto Raptors)

* Quarter attempts, playoffs: 13 (tied with 3 players; on May 13, 2003 at San Antonio Spurs)

* Free throws made

* Game: 23 (twice, most recently on January 31, 2006 vs. New York Knicks)

* Game, playoffs: 21 (on May 4, 2008 vs. Utah Jazz)

* Half: 17 (on January 30, 2001 vs. Cleveland Cavaliers)

* Quarter: 14 (on February 27, 2007 vs. Utah Jazz)

* Quarter, playoffs: 11 (tied with 3 players; on May 8, 1997 vs. Utah Jazz)

* Consecutive: 62 (January 11–22, 2006)

* Three-point field goals made and attempted

* Career: 1,277 (1996–present)

* Career, playoffs: 214 (1996–present)

* Game: 12 (on January 7, 2003 vs. Seattle SuperSonics)

* Half: 8 (1st half, on March 28, 2003 vs. Washington Wizards)

* Consecutive: 9 (on January 7, 2003 vs. Seattle SuperSonics)

* Career attempts: 3,752 (1996–present)

* Career attempts, playoffs: 650 (1996–present)

* Season attempts: 518 (2005–06)

* Game attempts: 18 (on January 7, 2003 vs. Seattle SuperSonics)

* Steals

* Half: 6 (tied with 3 players; on February 13, 2006 vs. Utah Jazz)

* Quarter, playoffs: 3 (five times, tied with 9 players; most recently on June 15, 2008 vs. Boston Celtics)

Magic had the better career when you consider that his was cut short due to HIV. He averaged nearly 20 per game, with 7.2 rebounds, and 11.2 assist. He won 5 titles in 12 season (I don't count the comeback), 3 MVPs and 3 Finals MVPs. He was one of the greatest clutch players of All-Time, probably only with Jordan and Russell as far as clutch goes in the Finals. He changed the game of basketball.

"I am accurately saying that isolation basketball is not basketball. I am saying that throughout MJ's entire career the NBA forced isolation. It is a challenge for me, knowing the sport of basketball, to proclaim a guy who did not face constant double teams, in the manner that greats like Kobe, Wilt, Kareem, and the Big O did, is simply the greatest ever because Spike Lee said that he was in a commercial. The facts do not support such a proclamation.

MJ was a non-factor when other great players were at their height. You can say that he was young. However, Magic was young. Kobe was young. Kareem was young. Nonetheless, they succeeded. MJ did not. This is not an opinion statement.

Kobe Bryant is a superior player from a skill set perspective when compared to MJ or any other shooting guard. No player has ever owned the full package in the manner that Kobe does. If you are going to tell me that MJ shoots the ball better than Kobe, I know that you are lying to yourself. If you are going to tell me that MJ's midrange game is even comparable to Kobe's, I am certain that you are dreaming. Kobe owns a superior basketball skill set.

Name the second best, third best, fourth best shooting guard in MJ's era. Then, you begin to understand that MJ was facing a lesser quality of player than Kobe is. Furthermore, the league forced isolation basketball. So hand checking was allowed. I would take getting hand checked 30 feet away from the basket as compared to being double and triple teamed on any day of the week. What difference does hand checking make 30-35 feet away from the rim? Oh yes, MJ can not shoot, thus rendering him useless out there. In contrast, Kobe Bryant takes turnaround jumpers from 30 feet and the ball does not hit the rim. He has a SUPERIOR skill set."

Whoever wrote that was ridiculous. Jordan was a non-factor? 63 points against Boston is a non-factor? 37 PPG is a non-factor? Getting beat by the 80s Celtics or Bad Boys is nothing to hang your head about, those teams won half the championships from 1980-1990.

Jordan can't shoot and doesn't have a good mid-range game? That is where Jordan made his living later in his career. From 96-98 his mid-range game was better than anyone in the history of the game. I guess his turnaround jumper from the baseline means nothing, even though it's a great move from Kobe (who stole it).

What great SG's are in the league now other than Wade and Kobe? Jordan played against HOF'ers in Reggie Miller, Joe Dumars, and Clyde Drexler who aren't as good as Kobe but are Hall of Famers none the less. He also played against solid guys who compare to guys like Joe Johnson, Mitch Richmond would be one example. The NBA was also way more physical in the 80s, which would cut down on a lot of the things Kobe gets to take advantage of now.

Kobe fans comparing him to Jordan is kind of hilarious. Wake me up when you guys have an actual argument.

Cats took care of this one pretty well. Kobe is an all time great no doubt. I admire his dedication to be the best. He isn't Jordan nor will he be unless he goes crazy for a few more years. Jordan never lost in a Finals and as Cats said he was the best player on 6 championship teams. If he didn't take 2 years off during his peak he would have 2 more titles, 2 more MVP's, 2 more Finals MVP's, and 2 more years of numbers. Kobe is a numbers guy. He knows he won't look as good to the eye of fans that saw Jordan a lot so he's going to just put up crazy numbers. He's in incredible shape and he has a huge desire to put up career numbers that are so good that he will be in the conversation 20 years from now. I've seen both and I too would pick Jordan first in a heart beat if we were starting a team. Kobe will go down as the 2nd best shooting guard IMO.

Kobe got a huge break even though he forced his best teammate out of town and couldn't win w/o him. If not for the Gasol fleecing he would still not have a title as the best player on a team and he might have whined his way out of town or left as a free agent. The one thing I will give him and I never thought I'd say this again is I'd take him over LBJ for the playoffs.

Cats took care of this one pretty well. Kobe is an all time great no doubt. I admire his dedication to be the best. He isn't Jordan nor will he be unless he goes crazy for a few more years. Jordan never lost in a Finals and as Cats said he was the best player on 6 championship teams. If he didn't take 2 years off during his peak he would have 2 more titles, 2 more MVP's, 2 more Finals MVP's, and 2 more years of numbers. Kobe is a numbers guy. He knows he won't look as good to the eye of fans that saw Jordan a lot so he's going to just put up crazy numbers. He's in incredible shape and he has a huge desire to put up career numbers that are so good that he will be in the conversation 20 years from now. I've seen both and I too would pick Jordan first in a heart beat if we were starting a team. Kobe will go down as the 2nd best shooting guard IMO.

Kobe got a huge break even though he forced his best teammate out of town and couldn't win w/o him. If not for the Gasol fleecing he would still not have a title as the best player on a team and he might have whined his way out of town or left as a free agent. The one thing I will give him and I never thought I'd say this again is I'd take him over LBJ for the playoffs.

The bolded is one thing I think people are being premature about. Give LeBron someone of Gasol's caliber and let's see what he can do. As far as being a solo act on a team, LeBron has been far more successful than Kobe was during his post-Shaq-pre-Gasol years. Did the Lakers even get out of the first round then? LeBron has been a solo act his entire career and they are the only team in the NBA to have advanced past the first round each of the last 5 years.

I know that championships are where legacies are made, but if someone could say that everyone needs help they need to remember that about LeBron.

Kobe does not have to score 30 for the Lakers to win. They are actually better when he score efficiently and Gasol and Odom have big numbers. For the Cavs to do anything the last 5 years, LeBron has had to have monster post-season games. It's unrealistic to expect someone to play an entire post-season at an extremely high level. Overall I think NBA fans (myself included) are just too critical. A few were mad that Kobe made bad plays last game...he is human and has been playing against the best defensive team in the NBA. He's not going to have 35, 10 and 10 every night, and neither is LeBron. However, LeBron has to have numbers like that for his team to win a series against a really good team, something many fail to recognize or give credit for.

Sorry, I'll get back to the topic.