Track the NBA Finals (Celtics vs Lakers)

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to turn this in to a Kobe/LeBron thread, but the biggest difference between the two are their mindsets. Kobe, like Jordan, hates to lose and possesses winners intangibles you cannot teach. LeBron has yet to develop that. Time will tell if he does develop it.

Not to turn this in to a Kobe/LeBron thread, but the biggest difference between the two are their mindsets. Kobe, like Jordan, hates to lose and possesses winners intangibles you cannot teach. LeBron has yet to develop that. Time will tell if he does develop it.

One of the guys on ESPN put it in a unique way. He said that James wanted fame and to be a good teammate at all times, Jordan wanted to win above all else, and Kobe wanted greatness. Not that all 3 don't want all of those characteristics, those were just the ones that they coveted the most.

One of the guys on ESPN put it in a unique way. He said that James wanted fame and to be a good teammate at all times, Jordan wanted to win above all else, and Kobe wanted greatness. Not that all 3 don't want all of those characteristics, those were just the ones that they coveted the most.

Lebron cares about being a global icon and making money. Kobe wants to win.

Are the Finals ever going to start. Geesh they NBA playoffs take a long time.

Assuming the above to be true:

1) Wonder how Lebron's mindset at his age differed from Kobe's mindset at that same age;

2) Once this contract is signed and financially LeBron is set and done for life, could his mindset then move toward what Kobe's is?

When Kobe and Jordan was that age, could the same statement of marketing focus have been the claim on them?

1) Wonder how Lebron's mindset at his age differed from Kobe's mindset at that same age;

2) Once this contract is signed and financially LeBron is set and done for life, could his mindset then move toward what Kobe's is?

When Kobe and Jordan was that age, could the same statement of marketing focus have been the claim on them?

To me Kobe's main thing has always been about being great. He wants to be better than Magic, better than Jordan. I don't get that from LeBron. Sure he wore 23 because of Jordan, but he's never had the 81 point game or 35 PPG season. Perhaps he's already a legend in his own mind, but they don't seem to have the same motivations. I think Kobe wants to be MJ on the court and LeBron wants to be Jordan off the court. Kobe and Jordan have this mode where they take out their frustrations on their opponents, LeBron doesn't do that. Just look at how zoned in Kobe is right now, we haven't seen anything like that from LeBron.

The mentality that Kobe has is what makes him great, but I think LeBron's mentality will help him in the long run too. When Kobe is angry, he comes so prepared for games and has a counter for everything the defense throws at him. LeBron, whether it is ego or whatever, doesn't do that he just let's his physical abilities take over. Kobe is terrifying because of how he approaches the game IMO, he is going to stop at nothing to accomplish his goals. When LeBron starts winning titles he's going to do it his way, where it seems effortless. Perhaps it won't add up to 4 titles like Kobe or 6 like Jordan, but I think his mentality won't change and it will still lead to a few titles.

Kobe had the benefit on veteran players that have been around and knew how to win which might have helped.

Kobe had the benefit on veteran players that have been around and knew how to win which might have helped.

No doubt it helped. Kobe still had a lot of growing pains after the 3 titles though, as far as leadership and possibly learning how to win as the "main" guy. He's came a long way.

I think it's crazy to compare him and LBJ. They are totally different, both in playing style and personality.

As stated, Kobe is the better clutch player. And, more than hitting buzzer beaters which he's had his share of, Kobe especially excels at closing games out by hitting big shot after big shot in the last 5-6 minutes of a game. I believe when talking about clutch play that latter ability is Kobe's signature.

But, this conversation has become a pattern. Lebron is, and has been for at least 3 years, the best player in the league. However, come playoff time, Kobe elevates his game, delivers a miniature highlight reel of clutch shots, and the Lakers advance to the finals. Meanwhile, Cleveland flames out, and Lebron doesn't always up his game...he looked disinterested at times in the Boston series.

Kobe's ability to perform in the clutch, and to perform consistently in the big moments, combined with better team success is why this discussion continues to resurface.

I'm sorry 5Wide but this was the only season that LeBron failed to play well in the postseason, and he still put up great numbers. There was nothing more he could have done in 2007, 2008 or 2009. What more could he have done? There wasn't a better individual player in any of the last 3 postseasons before this year IMO. Kobe brought Gasol, Pierce got Garnett and Allen, Duncan had Parker and Ginobili, and James brought a butcher knife to gun fight. It's not an excuse it's the truth. And I don't want to hear the crap about the regular season, it means nothing. How many titles did the Suns bring home when they were at the top of the Western Conference standings in the Nash MVP years?

LeBron won't get defended by me for this years performance, it was sad and pathetic. But to act like he's not a great player year in and year out in the playoffs is ridiculous.

To me Kobe's main thing has always been about being great. He wants to be better than Magic, better than Jordan. I don't get that from LeBron. Sure he wore 23 because of Jordan, but he's never had the 81 point game or 35 PPG season. Perhaps he's already a legend in his own mind, but they don't seem to have the same motivations. I think Kobe wants to be MJ on the court and LeBron wants to be Jordan off the court. Kobe and Jordan have this mode where they take out their frustrations on their opponents, LeBron doesn't do that. Just look at how zoned in Kobe is right now, we haven't seen anything like that from LeBron.

The mentality that Kobe has is what makes him great, but I think LeBron's mentality will help him in the long run too. When Kobe is angry, he comes so prepared for games and has a counter for everything the defense throws at him. LeBron, whether it is ego or whatever, doesn't do that he just let's his physical abilities take over. Kobe is terrifying because of how he approaches the game IMO, he is going to stop at nothing to accomplish his goals. When LeBron starts winning titles he's going to do it his way, where it seems effortless. Perhaps it won't add up to 4 titles like Kobe or 6 like Jordan, but I think his mentality won't change and it will still lead to a few titles.

What I don't like is that bottom line, Lebron laid down in the last 2 games against Boston. Plain and simple. Kobe would have never, ever done that. Can't be the "greatest" when you do that IMO.

So, assuming that they are still planning on playing that game tonight, I'm with jvdfc, and think that for some reason the Celtics win. They are 5pt dogs tonight and 9to5 dogs in the series according to the Herd today.

What I don't like is that bottom line, Lebron laid down in the last 2 games against Boston. Plain and simple. Kobe would have never, ever done that. Can't be the "greatest" when you do that IMO.

So, assuming that they are still planning on playing that game tonight, I'm with jvdfc, and think that for some reason the Celtics win. They are 5pt dogs tonight and 9to5 dogs in the series according to the Herd today.

Umm...Game 7 a few years ago against the Suns???? No one in the NBA circles even disputes that he didn't lay down in that series, and he did it after his team had a 3-1 series lead. Let's hear a Kobe-fan explanation for that. At least as a LeBron fan, I can accept that his performance and effort against the Celtics was pathetic. Next please.

Now I remember why I couldn't stand Kobe all those years, his fans think he has never done anything wrong. Let's face it, before last season, Kobe as a head honcho was not that successful, was a horrible teammate, and undeniably selfish. One title changed everything, so it's too early to write LeBron off.