Track the NBA Finals (Celtics vs Lakers)

If you would have told someone last year that we would get this rematch, no one would have been surprised.

We get the rematch this year and I can't imagine anyone other than a die hard Boston fan could have expected them to get this far. I may not be a fan of the Celtics, but they deserve all the credit in the world for taking care of Lebron and taking care of a good Magic team that just waited too long to start playing.

Should be a great series.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my preseason pick, but I had forgot about the Celtics by February. Now I don't know what to make of the Finals. On one hand I feel that LA is the most talented team in the league and with Kobe Bryant playing so well they should be the favorite IMO. But, the Celtics are straight up filthy on defense, and their bigs might just trample the Big guys from LA.

I think every matchup is going to be interesting. Fisher will get abused by Rondo for most of the time in the series, but Fisher is clutch and I think that makes up for his defensive short-comings a little bit. Bryant is the best wing in the series, but I wonder if Pierce and Allen can equal the output of Bryant and Artest as a unit. Gasol is the best big in the series, but I think he is a question mark in this series because of how poorly he played against the Celtics last time. If Garnett can beat up on him and score effectively I think it's going to take away a huge part of the Lakers game.

The Perkins-Bynum matchup is also interesting. Normally I would give the advantage to LA because I think Bynum is a great talent, but he's so beat up I think it's honestly a push right now. Wallace and Davis have to play well in this series IMO especially against Odom, Tony Allen also has to play well for the Celtics.

I think this is going to be an epic finals. My mind tells me to take the Lakers, but my gut says Celtics in 7.

Edited by CatsCatsCats

That put it very simply, if Bynum and Odom can put up respectable numbers the Lakers will take it 5 or 6. If not I wouldn't be shocked to see the Celtics take it in 5 or 6. Odom like most always in the huge X factor. The Celtics have big guys but none of them matchup well with Odom.

I think this is going to lead to a great Championship series and I'm looking forward to watching it, pulling for Rondo and Ray Allen to bring home their second rings.

It has to be one of the best scenarios for TV rights. Maybe having Lebron would be the only better series for the younger viewers. But for the older generation, Celtics/Lakers is IT!!!

Whomever wins the first game, I think wins it in 6 games. That first game will set the tone. Lakers win and they could have a huge 2-0 lead going to Boston. Celtics get a split and they could have a huge 3-1 lead coming back to LA.

I agree about game 1. I don't see the Celtics winning both games 3 and 4 in Boston though no matter what the scenario is. I think the winner of game 1 also wins game 5 and takes the series in 6 or 7 games.

Whomever wins the first game, I think wins it in 6 games. That first game will set the tone. Lakers win and they could have a huge 2-0 lead going to Boston. Celtics get a split and they could have a huge 3-1 lead coming back to LA.

I thought the Finals was 2-3-2 set up? Means the potentially important Game 5 is in Boston.

The Finals is a 2-3-2 format I believe. If thats the case then if the Celtics lead 3-1 they would still be in Boston.

I thought the Finals was 2-3-2 set up? Means the potentially important Game 5 is in Boston.

Which is why I don't believe Boston will win both games 3 and 4. I think they split games 1 and 2 in LA, and split games 3 and 4 in Boston. The winner of game 5 takes the series, winning either game 6 or game 7.

The Lakers will win all of their home games. Artest will make Pierce fake at least 2 injuries, Kobe will be on Rondo at times and Perkins will get technical number 7 at some point. I don't know how many games the Lakers will win the series in but I truly feel they will win all of their home games at the very least. I expect all of the games to be very tight games. Can't wait.

The Lakers will win all of their home games. Artest will make Pierce fake at least 2 injuries, Kobe will be on Rondo at times and Perkins will get technical number 7 at some point. I don't know how many games the Lakers will win the series in but I truly feel they will win all of their home games at the very least. I expect all of the games to be very tight games. Can't wait.

I think however it shakes out, they go in to Game 5 tied 2-2 and the winner of that game takes the series. I do think Pierce will struggle with Artest, but I think Ray Ray will have a HUGE game in one of the first 4. I think Gasol looks more like Gasol of 2 years ago than the awesome play he has had this season and IF Perkins has to sit out a game they are in trouble. 'Sheed/Odom will be in position to win a game I think those two are a toss up as far as which one will show up. I hope Rondo plays well, but I fear a let down from the previous series'. I want to pick the Celtics in every way as I think they really have the better team because of their D, but I really think Kobe may not be able to be stopped this year. It is his way of saying to everyone that while LeBron is the most amazing athlete in the NBA right now, Kobe is still Mr. Clutch and the BEST PLAYER in the league...Lakers in 7. I'm rooting for the Celtics though.

Can Perkins play this series without getting a technical? That could be a huge factor before its done. One more and he's out for a game.

I think Game One is important. LA hasn't faced the type of defensive effort that Boston will bring, so will they be ready from the tip, or will it take some time to adjust? If it does, the opening game could be a great opportunity for Boston to steal home court advantage. I think the first game is of tremendous importance for both teams. It might be the better opportunity for Boston and I really think they need to split the first two. For LA, losing game one could shake their confidence and bring back memories of 2008.

I think we'll see some entertaining and competitive basketball. And, I feel like LA's chances are pretty good if the series returns to Los Angeles for a sixth game. Looking forward to it. And, I hope Kobe keeps playing the way he did against Phoenix. Get that knee drained again.

One huge factor that can't be overlooked is that this is the first team that could truly beat the Lakers if LA is at the top of their game. I felt that the only way LA was going to lose to OKC, Utah or Phoenix was if they were disinterested like they seemed in games 3 & 4 of two of the series. Boston can take them out of their game. This is the first series LA will have played against a legit post defender, and the Celtics have 4 of them.

Honestly if it weren't for Ron Artest I'd take the Celtics and not hesitate. But I think he could take Paul Pierce out of his game a little bit in this series. Kobe is going his, probably not at the same rate he has for most of the playoffs, but he's going to have a good series. I don't think Gasol will be as good this series, he's not played as well lately and the Celtics can push him around a bit. The Celtics do have to worry about getting points, something they struggle with from time to time. If Boston wins I think KG is the difference with his defense on Gasol, if LA wins I think it's because Artest will be the difference with his defense on Pierce. Kobe and Rondo are going to get theirs either way.

Comes down to a few factors...

- Rondo's health and containing him

- If Odom brings it, the Lakers win easily. If you want a pulse of the Lakers, do not look at Kobe, look at how Odom performs. When he is on his game, they are virtually unstoppable.

- Rasheed Wallace. Crafty vet that can put the Celtics over the top, or he will claim a quick technical foul, harm an endangered species, and score 3 points? With the stage being this big, I expect him to show up and play, but who knows.

- Rebounding.