National 7v7 tourney in Cincy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2010/04/28/usa-today-7on7-national-tournament/

Sounds interesting. I wonder if the KHSAA rules, which seem to be constantly in motion regarding 7v7, would allow participation by KY teams?

My understanding of the new rule would not allow a Ky team to participate, because it is during the month of June. I believe the rule prohibits competition between teams in 7 on 7 or touch prior to the end of the dead period.

Not an expert, but that is my understanding.

I would steer away from 7 on 7, there's jut too many injuries that occur in these events that really have no meaning. Yesm, it's good to work on timing, but it's not realistic because you have no D-line pressure.

I disagree. I have been involved with a team that was heavily involved with 7 on 7 for 5 years. We had 0 injuries and it was crucial in improving our offense. JMO

The KHSAA has ruled that only AAU is important in June! No 7 on 7.

Actually it wasn't the KHSAA, it was the steering committee (made up of coaches from both football & basketball) that suggested this idiotic move of no 7 on 7 in June. The schools then voted to approve the bill that the steering committe devised. I was a head coach in KY when this was coming into legislation and voiced my opinion against it, but there were several key coaches on the committee that "drank the kool aid" or saw it benefiting their program and supported it. It has been and will continue to be a bad deal for H.S. football in KY.

I disagree. I have been involved with a team that was heavily involved with 7 on 7 for 5 years. We had 0 injuries and it was crucial in improving our offense. JMO

Yes, and you are one of how many teams across the board. I'm just saying overall the benefit is not worth the risk. I think teams can get the same result in controlled team practices. You can face a team that has some weak db's but has a top notch d-line with a tremendous blitz scheme that's not used in 7 on7, how do you measure that as being truly successful in 7 on 7 against another team?

Yes, and you are one of how many teams across the board. I'm just saying overall the benefit is not worth the risk. I think teams can get the same result in controlled team practices. You can face a team that has some weak db's but has a top notch d-line with a tremendous blitz scheme that's not used in 7 on7, how do you measure that as being truly successful in 7 on 7 against another team?

7 on 7 is very effective, hard to get timing and a qb any confidence with lb's and Dl knocking his brains out. 7 on 7 is very crucial to a throwing team and on defensive coverage. Its also very good for getting athletes out and enjoying summer work outs more. Only seen one or two serious injuries in over ten years of 7 on 7 tourneys, seen just as many walking down the street in those ten years.

The injuries from a "controlled team practice" are remarkably less than those which occur during 7 on 7? That would surprise me.

Steel sharpens steel. Get 'em out there competing in whatever format is allowed.