National 7v7 tourney in Cincy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it wasn't the KHSAA, it was the steering committee (made up of coaches from both football & basketball) that suggested this idiotic move of no 7 on 7 in June. The schools then voted to approve the bill that the steering committe devised. I was a head coach in KY when this was coming into legislation and voiced my opinion against it, but there were several key coaches on the committee that "drank the kool aid" or saw it benefiting their program and supported it. It has been and will continue to be a bad deal for H.S. football in KY.

If you run the wishbone, I agree. If you spread the ball, it helps with timing, efficiency, progression, etc...I have been doing 7 v 7 for a long time and have NOT seen an injury at a 7 on 7. However, I have seen injuries in the weightroom...should teams stop that too? Heck, I have seen kids roll ankles getting out of their cars. IMO it's worth the "risk" if it gets you better.

Pretty much....that's it. Unless they are allowed to go full gear/full contact here, I'm not sure about that. Someone please fill me in on that.

It's a good thing to expose the skill players to the QB. Timing, catching, routes.. all that good stuff against competition other than yourself. I have been in coaching for a few years and getting a shot at competition other than yourself, really amps the kids up.

If you run the wishbone, I agree. If you spread the ball, it helps with timing, efficiency, progression, etc...

I have to disagree. When I played, a while back, we ran the wishbone, we competed in 7 on 7's. We threw the ball about 10 times a game, at the most. It helped us tremendously. If fact, I would entertain the thought that a running team may benefit from the 7's more then a passing team. A passing team practices passing all the time, but a running team practices running more often the passing and 7's is a good opportunity for them to practice nothing but passing, something they can't dedicate a lot of practice time to.

It's a good thing to expose the skill players to the QB. Timing, catching, routes.. all that good stuff against competition other than yourself. I have been in coaching for a few years and getting a shot at competition other than yourself, really amps the kids up.

This is simply a matter of opinion, but you can do 7 on 7 within your own team and gain just as much from it. I don't know of any colleges or professional teams that have 7 on 7 outside their teams, it just seems a little flag footballish to me. As a coach, I don't care what you do to me 7 on 7, I want you 11 on 11. I've coached a few years and played many more and 7 on 7 has always be inner squad to me..........I'm ole school.

7 on 7 is very effective, hard to get timing and a qb any confidence with lb's and Dl knocking his brains out. 7 on 7 is very crucial to a throwing team and on defensive coverage. Its also very good for getting athletes out and enjoying summer work outs more. Only seen one or two serious injuries in over ten years of 7 on 7 tourneys, seen just as many walking down the street in those ten years.

:thumb: Yep

This is simply a matter of opinion, but you can do 7 on 7 within your own team and gain just as much from it. I don't know of any colleges or professional teams that have 7 on 7 outside their teams, it just seems a little flag footballish to me. As a coach, I don't care what you do to me 7 on 7, I want you 11 on 11. I've coached a few years and played many more and 7 on 7 has always be inner squad to me..........I'm ole school.

I am old school believe me, and you are just wrong on this one. Heck, you didn't even know the rules and how it worked and are against it. :ohbrother:

I am old school believe me, and you are just wrong on this one. Heck, you didn't even know the rules and how it worked and are against it. :ohbrother:

7 on 7 is done sometimes in full gear or without, that was one of my questions. Regardless of the rules around here I can be against 7 on 7 if I choose to be. Maybe there are some teams that get nothing out of 7 on 7 against an opponent in full gear, but do so within their own team practices, so how am I wrong? It's an opinion and I guess it takes a brain to have one of those! If you have nothing educational to contribute to this post, please go back to your coloring book. :madman:

This is simply a matter of opinion, but you can do 7 on 7 within your own team and gain just as much from it.

But, you have to understand that a college or NFL team has a college or NFL defense to practice against. A high school may not have a great defense to practice against, or a complete offense and defense where no one plays both. Apples and oranges.

But, you have to understand that a college or NFL team has a college or NFL defense to practice against. A high school may not have a great defense to practice against, or a complete offense and defense where no one plays both. Apples and oranges.

That's true, my point is I have seen kids not in full gear going overboard to make a play, and causing injuries during 7 on 7. That's why I was wondering if they go full gear here or what? Didn't Cov Cath or some team have a major injury during 7 on 7 last year, and if so, was it full gear? I know injuries can happen anywhere; I'd just rather it be on game night against the opponent instead of a modified version of flag football.

SK has plenty of kids to compete agianst them speed wise.

Compete is the key word you said earlier they would be a top team in it. There is a difference between hanging with them for awhile and beating them.