2010 Spring Football

tdyballgame

I'm not a fan of spring practice. I don't think it gives the benefit that others do. I fully realize I'm in the minority on this but there's no way you can tell me that HHS doesn't win the championship this past year if they didn't have spring practice.

At some schools its raised to such an important must-do that players either do not participate in other spring sports or they skip out on practice of their spring sport for fear of "getting behind." A football coach should not let a kid playing another sport participate. Period.

The 2009 season makes your point very well, in that spring football may not have made a difference in how well the team performed overall. But, two things to consider. One, would you want to take the chance of not having spring practice in the hopes that you didn't need it? There would be a lot of second guessing if that were the case. And secondly, last year's team and season are a "once in a decade/century/millenium" team, and may not be a good barometer of why you have spring practice.

To add on to your point, though, this year is a perfect time for spring football, coming off such a successful season with so much senior leadership. There are only 3 returning offensive starters, so there is a lot to put together to make it all click. With 3 open O Line positions, I am hopeful that spring football will take the competition for those starting jobs to the next level. Which 3 guys are going out there to lay claim to their spot?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lots of talk around the way about who is going to be moved where and how that will all shake out. Lots of positions to fill and for the kids who have been hammering out the winter weight / training, they are looking forward to the re-start of their season. A busy 3 weeks for all. It seems to me the kids are looking forward to spring ball, so if they are, then isn't this all about the kids anyway ?

I'm not a fan of spring practice. I don't think it gives the benefit that others do. I fully realize I'm in the minority on this but there's no way you can tell me that HHS doesn't win the championship this past year if they didn't have spring practice.

At some schools its raised to such an important must-do that players either do not participate in other spring sports or they skip out on practice of their spring sport for fear of "getting behind." A football coach should not let a kid playing another sport participate. Period.

Clearly and well stated opinion. I disagree with it completely, but well stated. Period. :D

Clearly and well stated opinion. I disagree with it completely, but well stated. Period. :D

You do have to admire my consistency on this issue.

I realize I'm swimming upstream.

However, why shouldn't the head football coach tell spring sports players that its wrong to abandon their teammates and coaches IN SEASON for a sport that will not have their first game for 5 1/2 months?

However, why shouldn't the head football coach tell spring sports players that its wrong to abandon their teammates and coaches IN SEASON for a sport that will not have their first game for 5 1/2 months?

I agree they should not "abandon" their teammates. However, if handled properly I think you could stike a balance. Allow players to participate in "non-contact" drills if they play Baseball or run Track. The reality is that their are two major sports that are in competition, baseball and Track. Baseball I can see there being a conflict, especially for Pitchers and Catchers. Track, I don't see it being nearly as big a deal. Unless your team makes it to the state Tourn, Spring football will be over before any of the basebal games or track meets begin.

I am biased, but I think that Football requires more practice time and spring Football is a good way to allow players and coaches to get a glimpse of things to come.

Now in somewhat of a contradiction. If all sports would go back to staying "in Season", no summer,fall,spring Basketball, Soccer, volleyball etc.,

I would support doing away with Spring ball. But unless the other sports change, I see the need for Spring Ball.

I agree they should not "abandon" their teammates. However, if handled properly I think you could stike a balance. Allow players to participate in "non-contact" drills if they play Baseball or run Track. The reality is that their are two major sports that are in competition, baseball and Track. Baseball I can see there being a conflict, especially for Pitchers and Catchers. Track, I don't see it being nearly as big a deal. Unless your team makes it to the state Tourn, Spring football will be over before any of the basebal games or track meets begin.

I am biased, but I think that Football requires more practice time and spring Football is a good way to allow players and coaches to get a glimpse of things to come.

Now in somewhat of a contradiction. If all sports would go back to staying "in Season", no summer,fall,spring Basketball, Soccer, volleyball etc.,

I would support doing away with Spring ball. But unless the other sports change, I see the need for Spring Ball.

I'm not against spring football even though I don't think it has an impact on W/L. I'm against spring sports participants skipping their spring sport for spring football. I don't see anyone on this board (or at least this thread) being OK with football players skipping a few practices if there were a "fall baseball" practice. It wreaks of a double standard.

I'm not against spring football even though I don't think it has an impact on W/L. I'm against spring sports participants skipping their spring sport for spring football. I don't see anyone on this board (or at least this thread) being OK with football players skipping a few practices if there were a "fall baseball" practice. It wreaks of a double standard.

I know that Mueller has excused a football player to miss almost all two a days to participate in AAU basketball tournaments and a baseball player to participate in summer baseball. Kids miss summer football workouts to go to camps, combines and clinics with Mueller's permission. Some have missed practices for choir and other school events. When it has to happen, it happens and Mueller is fine with it.

I can't speak for other schools, but the players that want to play baseball and spring football can do so at Highlands. The coaches coordinate practices for them to do so. Some might only make 2 or 3 football practices out of the 10.

If a coach told players that if they are playing baseball or track they cannot participate in spring football, I have a feeling at some schools the kids wouldn't play baseball or track at all. That surely doesn't help their would be teammates on the baseball or track teams, does it?

I know that Mueller encourages kids to participate in the spring sports. I know for a fact he told Josh Conner, the spring before his senior year, to play baseball, but Conner wanted to concentrate on football. Would any one expect Mueller to not permit him to participate in spring football? I wouldn't. Heck, then the coach is forcing kids to play sports they don't want to play. That's not right.

We've debated this issue many times before, but if the baseball or track team's fate is tied to several kids missing 4 or even 10 practices in the spring, there are bigger problems with the baseball or track program than that in my opinion, Also consider that the weather is so unpredictable in the spring and really limits the amount of time practicing on the field. If the baseball practice was going to be limited to hitting in the cage, there's no reason the kid playing two sports can't get his time in the cage after football practice. If it's working on the arm, they can do so in the hallways after football practice. If the weather is great that day and the field is playable, then they go to baseball practice that day.

All it takes is a little coordination, cooperation and understanding.

For those BGP'ers who oppose spring football practice, did you ever consider that perhaps the kids who participate in spring football may actually enjoy it? In reading your posts, I get the sense you feel that these kids are being dragged kicking and screaming to take part in this, when they would rather be doing something else. Maybe the kids, GASP, like to do it?

A couple of years back I was fortunate enough to sit in and observe one of Highlands' spring practices... I got the distinct impression that those kids were enjoying themselves out there.

Let 'em play!

I know that Mueller has excused a football player to miss almost all two a days to participate in AAU basketball tournaments and a baseball player to participate in summer baseball. Kids miss summer football workouts to go to camps, combines and clinics with Mueller's permission. Some have missed practices for choir and other school events. When it has to happen, it happens and Mueller is fine with it.

I can't speak for other schools, but the players that want to play baseball and spring football can do so at Highlands. The coaches coordinate practices for them to do so. Some might only make 2 or 3 football practices out of the 10.

If a coach told players that if they are playing baseball or track they cannot participate in spring football, I have a feeling at some schools the kids wouldn't play baseball or track at all. That surely doesn't help their would be teammates on the baseball or track teams, does it?

I know that Mueller encourages kids to participate in the spring sports. I know for a fact he told Josh Conner, the spring before his senior year, to play baseball, but Conner wanted to concentrate on football. Would any one expect Mueller to not permit him to participate in spring football? I wouldn't. Heck, then the coach is forcing kids to play sports they don't want to play. That's not right.

We've debated this issue many times before, but if the baseball or track team's fate is tied to several kids missing 4 or even 10 practices in the spring, there are bigger problems with the baseball or track program than that in my opinion, Also consider that the weather is so unpredictable in the spring and really limits the amount of time practicing on the field. If the baseball practice was going to be limited to hitting in the cage, there's no reason the kid playing two sports can't get his time in the cage after football practice. If it's working on the arm, they can do so in the hallways after football practice. If the weather is great that day and the field is playable, then they go to baseball practice that day.

Do this and have time for classroom work as well? I have younger boys but it is getting to be an interesting dilema. Sorry, I can't comment about boys track because IMO it doesn't count as a sport; however, spending time with personal trainers and working on your game to this extent for a handful of scholarships? I am not in love with Spring football; and I am a diehard. I see its advantages; but the HHS baseball team has a lot of good young athletes coming up in the ranks; and I hope that some of those boys stay the course. I believe boys should have fun and play and leatherneck I am not buying everything your selling. IMO the days of the 3 sport athlete are just gone; because of the length of the season and dedication required in each sport. I do believe that there are plenty of two sport athletes in the school and I hope it stays that way....TOG you do like to stir the pot; however, I am certain that all HHS fans wanted the boys basketball season not to end. Perhaps a new thread titled: With football and basketball falling on hard times spring baseball stirs excitement at Cov Cath.....:D

A few thoughts:

I believe you are overestimating the amount of coordination going on between coaches. That or we have a different definition of "coordination."

Where is the baseball team supposed to practice when football gets first dibs on the practice field and the baseball team gets knocked off of the football field for 3 weekends before the season starts by rec soccer?

Why can't the baseball and football split the field like other schools do during spring practice?

You're totally discounting the game of baseball and the amount of intricate detail that goes into it. If it were as simple as going to the batting cage and throwing on your own why even have practice? Do you think that kids and their parents know how to develop an arm? Do you think they know where all 9 positions go when its 1st and 3rd and a gapper? Is "the wheel" known by every baseball player? These things are practiced every day because they have to be instinctual when they happen in a 3-2 ball game.

Lastly, the concept behind spring football is that ten additional practices is of great benefit for 5 months down the road so why wouldn't it make sense that those ten days (or 4 as you say) wouldn't benefit both the player and the team for a season that starts this month?

I love both football and baseball, but I do not like either of them out of season. IMO, it's been driven by adults overemphasizing their kid's athletic achievement over other pursuits, and has created a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. I'm as guilty as the next guy. I swore I'd never let my kid play two sports at the same time, but to help him keep up with the kids who focused solely on baseball, I let him play fall ball the past two years.

The spring football situation is the same way. If nobody had spring practice, everybody would be in the same boat, and the best teams would still win. While adding spring football has no doubt raised the level of football being played in the state of KY, there's also no doubt it's lead to kids dropping spring sports - even when coaches cooperate. Whatever sport is "coolest" at the time will win, and right now that's football.

I love both football and baseball, but I do not like either of them out of season. IMO, it's been driven by adults overemphasizing their kid's athletic achievement over other pursuits, and has created a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. I'm as guilty as the next guy. I swore I'd never let my kid play two sports at the same time, but to help him keep up with the kids who focused solely on baseball, I let him play fall ball the past two years.

The spring football situation is the same way. If nobody had spring practice, everybody would be in the same boat, and the best teams would still win. While adding spring football has no doubt raised the level of football being played in the state of KY, there's also no doubt it's lead to kids dropping spring sports - even when coaches cooperate. Whatever sport is "coolest" at the time will win, and right now that's football.

How do you feel about Summer basketball or AAU? Would you agree that during the off season is an important time to improve in any sport?

I doubt that the head track coach at any school sees it that way.

If a runner misses two weeks right in the middle of a key conditioning period ... (especially with how tricky the weather has been lately) ... that kid will most likely never catch up.

And for the record ... we have been running track meets (as have MANY other schools) since the first week of January.

It's about decisions. All players of multiple sports have to make them. Basketball players have to choose between summer ball, AAU ball, and summer camps; baseball players have to choose between summer ball, fall ball, and winter clinics; as well as football players having to choose between spring practice, summer camps, and winter workouts.

Like I've said before, you can have anything you want, but you can't have it all. At some point players of multiple sports have to choose what they want to do. I'm not against basketball, baseball, or any other sport, but you asked a question, and I hate to answer it with another question, but: why don't other coaches do away with their off season workouts to make room for football? Summer baseball, fall baseball, summer basketball, and early basketball workouts? And, why do the players that just play football have to give up spring football so that the players that play other sports don't have to miss anything?

A few thoughts:

I believe you are overestimating the amount of coordination going on between coaches. That or we have a different definition of "coordination."

Where is the baseball team supposed to practice when football gets first dibs on the practice field and the baseball team gets knocked off of the football field for 3 weekends before the season starts by rec soccer?

Why can't the baseball and football split the field like other schools do during spring practice?

You're totally discounting the game of baseball and the amount of intricate detail that goes into it. If it were as simple as going to the batting cage and throwing on your own why even have practice? Do you think that kids and their parents know how to develop an arm? Do you think they know where all 9 positions go when its 1st and 3rd and a gapper? Is "the wheel" known by every baseball player? These things are practiced every day because they have to be instinctual when they happen in a 3-2 ball game.

Lastly, the concept behind spring football is that ten additional practices is of great benefit for 5 months down the road so why wouldn't it make sense that those ten days (or 4 as you say) wouldn't benefit both the player and the team for a season that starts this month?

:thumb:

You're dead on target on all 5 points.