Everything posted by JBCousins
-
The Dumbest Rule in Middle School Basketball - is it the same for High School???
I know a guy who would allow 1 per game. After the 1, he'd say, no more. It's not the worst thing in the world but 2 or 3 in a game would be. I don't think any coach
-
The Dumbest Rule in Middle School Basketball - is it the same for High School???
No they don't. Unless you are referring to the situations mentioned--trapped, loose ball, etc. Even then, I think most would discourage it unless it's the 4th quarter.
-
The Dumbest Rule in Middle School Basketball - is it the same for High School???
Are any of them coaches or have any of them ever coached?
-
The Dumbest Rule in Middle School Basketball - is it the same for High School???
How can you expect a middle schooler to have the awareness to call a timeout? I wouldn't want most high schoolers to make that decision (fwiw, I hate when players call timeouts when there is a scramble for the ball in the FIRST quarter).
-
New points of emphasis - no way it is called correct.
Let's hope HS basketball announcers DO have higher aspirations. Fun job, but, really?
-
New points of emphasis - no way it is called correct.
The "champions of character" quote is a little over the top but generally speaking I would have to agree. I think this should be put in place for football more than basketball. I've heard a simple "there is ANOTHER flag on the field" before. In basketball, as long as they are not over the top, it will not be a problem. The main idea is to not announce incorrect information regarding fouls or timeouts, not give point totals (I don't know a coach who likes a scoreboard WITH points scored on it), and be sure they are not talking over FT shooters. Also, telling fans to get on their feet or make some noise is not their job. Someone mentioned milestones, I think those will be handled the same way--let the opposing coach and officials know about it and when it happens, stop the game and acknowledge the achievement. No big deal, not taking that away. For the record, I've never heard of an announcer being a part of a home-court advantage.
-
New points of emphasis - no way it is called correct.
Exactly
-
New points of emphasis - no way it is called correct.
They ARE "champions of character" and should act like it!
-
Question(s) for our umps
Sounds more like Kelly Leak....keep him in the box.
-
Question(s) for our umps
Just as if the batter had leaned into the pitch to try and get a HBP. Dead ball, runner returns.
-
Question(s) for our umps
I'd have to see it. If it was Kelly Leak catch it like a joke, then yes. If he looked like he was doing it in self defense, then I'd still give him the base. As a rule, I side with the hitter unless they are leaning into the pitch or hovering over the plate. I don't think you should reward a bad pitch.
-
Question(s) for our umps
As to the second point, I'd like to see something done to tone that down--especially if you are promoting that on your website. Something simple from the ump, "Hey, cheer for YOUR guy." Hard to say how bad it was since I wasn't there but if they are 7-10 years old (guessing) then maybe try to cut down on it a little bit.
-
Question(s) for our umps
At that age, if it's coming right at them, a lot of them don't know how to react. If it's coming directly at them and it hits them, they get first base. My question was, did he catch it in front of him because it was going to hit him or out in front of him and he would not have been hit.
-
Question(s) for our umps
To be clear, the ball would have hit him had he done nothing, right? I'm assuming yes, so then, yes, he gets first base. Or was it just "up and in"?
-
2010 Spring Football
:thumb: You're dead on target on all 5 points.
-
Let's Discuss: Is Yates HS Going Too Far?
They COULD beat any team in the nation. Just saying that what they're doing against these teams isn't doing anyone any good. It's stictly for the coaches ego.
-
Game Situation Question
I've seen this happen. Even worse, the losing team had not pressed the entire game. Are they trying to make the score look better or do you buy the "we're working on our press"? With the situation given, I'd say it depends a lot on the depth and talent of the winning team. Most of the time I'd expect my JV guys to be able to at least hold a 25 point lead and would be more likely to let them play it out. If the JV is significantly less talented then I would sub in 2 starters to stop the bleeding.
-
Let's Discuss: Is Yates HS Going Too Far?
I'm sure they are good kids and the coach does a nice job with them on and off the court. However, the coach's excuses are lame. Trying to say that he needs to prepare his team for the post-season is a joke. They aren't getting any better pounding these teams. They are getting better in practice playing each other. They are more likely to be getting into bad habits by getting away with things that they won't get away with against top competition. As far as preparing them for college, pressing weak teams and running lay-up lines against them while you win by 100 or more isn't helping them. Run an offense (if they even do that) all the way through and get a good shot in the half-court. Practice THAT. THAT is what you'll need in the post-season.
-
Let's Discuss: Is Yates HS Going Too Far?
1. Apples to oranges. Doesn't even make sense. 2. Hopefully, the adults in charge would know before hand that the match shouldn't be scheduled. If it had to be played and one team was not answering ANY questions (and I'm not sure exactly how these are run) maybe you eliminate the buzzer and offer up alternate questions to each team after the outcome has been decided so both can answer questions.
-
Let's Discuss: Is Yates HS Going Too Far?
They called over 60 fouls in a JV game on one team?!?!?!
-
The Game Isn't Over Simply Because the Horn Blows
Agree. Some of the students were coming onto the floor. Maybe he was running toward them. I'll say this, unless he ran directly at their bench or taunted them as he ran by them (and maybe he did), this was a horrible call.
-
You make the call
I agree. How about the freshmen coach? I'd tell the coach to shut up and let me coach MY game.
-
Let's Discuss: Is Yates HS Going Too Far?
It did lead to a near fight in the 170-35 game. This situation is even worse, in my opinion.
-
The Game Isn't Over Simply Because the Horn Blows
Nothing conclusive from seeing this. However, it would appear that the winning team's fans are on the camera side of the court and that they ended up celebrating with them. Most of the losing team's players appeared to be standing right in front of their bench. Something clearly happens in the corner, out of the camera's sight, but again it is inconclusive.
-
The Game Isn't Over Simply Because the Horn Blows
Let's put in a "celebration box" and say you can only celebrate in that designated area after a win.