The Dumbest Rule in Middle School Basketball - is it the same for High School???

Your press works perfectly. The kid is trapped in the corner right at mid court, he's about to panic and throw a terrible cross court pass. He can't think straight and....Time out. The coach was able to call it from the bench? Why is this a rule? It takes away a great defensive play and is a HUGE offensive advantage. Does high school have this stupid rule as well?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your press works perfectly. The kid is trapped in the corner right at mid court, he's about to panic and throw a terrible cross court pass. He can't think straight and....Time out. The coach was able to call it from the bench? Why is this a rule? It takes away a great defensive play and is a HUGE offensive advantage. Does high school have this stupid rule as well?

Happens ALL the time. As a coach, I'm glad I can call the timeout from the bench. And yes works the same way in high school.

I fail to see why this rule is dumb. Timeouts are a part of the game no matter rather its NBA or elementary.

Timeouts should come from the players on the field. That is my opinion. If a kid is smart enough to grab possession and call timeout while fighting for a loose ball that is fine. I don't like giving a kid an out when he puts himself in a bad position unless he calls the timeout himself. That's the point of pressure defense.

Timeouts should come from the players on the field. That is my opinion. If a kid is smart enough to grab possession and call timeout while fighting for a loose ball that is fine. I don't like giving a kid an out when he puts himself in a bad position unless he calls the timeout himself. That's the point of pressure defense.

So, the play clock is winding down in a football game, gets down to one second and offense is still scrambling to get set...coach shouldn't be able to call a time out?

So, the play clock is winding down in a football game, gets down to one second and offense is still scrambling to get set...coach shouldn't be able to call a time out?

No. I feel like it is part of the competitive nature of the sport to be able to communicate properly in key moments. Players should be practicing 2 minute situations all year. It should be on the coach to be able to communicate the time out and for the player to call it.

As a coach I like the ability to call a timeout from the bench. I have been able to save myself turnovers before and I have also cost myself baskets by doing so, but I still would rather have the option. IMO it's not any different than yelling at a player to call the TO. What does it matter. You get so many per game to use at your discretion.

As a coach I like the ability to call a timeout from the bench. I have been able to save myself turnovers before and I have also cost myself baskets by doing so, but I still would rather have the option. IMO it's not any different than yelling at a player to call the TO. What does it matter. You get so many per game to use at your discretion.

There is the difference. The kids have to hear you and make the timeout call. That split second could make a huge difference b/c a flustered kid may not make the timeout call. The coach is in a much better place mentally to call it.

Kind of a dumb thing to be upset about really.

Heck- coaches at the college and pro level call timeouts- why wouldn't a middle or high school coach be able to do the same?

Ask the Bengals or their fans if they think it's stupid for a coach to be able to call time out. Based on the game saving time out that Lewis called in the Tampa game I doubt you'll find any that think that way.