Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

You make the call

Featured Replies

During a freshman game, the Head varsity coach is keeping the clock. That happens frequently due to the lack of help, which is totally fine. However, during the game, the head coach/clock keeper is actually calling plays and defenses. The officials do not do anything about it. They say there is nothing they can do about it.

What is the opinion of BGP on this?

I don't know what I would during the game, but afterwards I would contact my assigner and have them address this with the host school. No reason they could not find 1 person who can run the clock and if they can not they don't need to have home games.

By rule the scorer and timer are officials.

 

Considering its a freshman game and as long as the guy was keeping the clock and score correctly I'd have no problem with it. To me its no different than if he's sitting behind the bench and calling plays or coaching in any manner.

By rule the scorer and timer are officials.

 

Considering its a freshman game and as long as the guy was keeping the clock and score correctly I'd have no problem with it. To me its no different than if he's sitting behind the bench and calling plays or coaching in any manner.

 

What if the timer in the Varsity game you were calling was calling plays and defenses? Say for instance you have a rookie coach and the timer was a veteran of the game and was "just trying to help out"?

However, during the game, the head coach/clock keeper is actually calling plays and defenses. The officials do not do anything about it. They say there is nothing they can do about it.

What is the opinion of BGP on this?

 

Tell him (head coach) to keep his mouth shut. He shouldn't say a word while serving as an official of the game.

Tell him (head coach) to keep his mouth shut. He shouldn't say a word while serving as an official of the game.

 

:thumb:

Some coaches/schools treat freshman games as a training league and it is not a "real" game. I do not agree with this but ...

What if the timer in the Varsity game you were calling was calling plays and defenses? Say for instance you have a rookie coach and the timer was a veteran of the game and was "just trying to help out"?

 

If it was a varsity game I'd speak with the timer and remind him that he's an official.

 

Yes, there is a double standard. For a freshman game I'm just happy to have an adult that's not texting their friends while I'm reporting a foul.

If it was a varsity game I'd speak with the timer and remind him that he's an official.

 

Yes, there is a double standard. For a freshman game I'm just happy to have an adult that's not texting their friends while I'm reporting a foul.

 

 

Shouldn't matter what level; the clock person is considered an official so he should remain impartial. I do agree that if you can not find one person to run the clock you shouldn't have home games!

Shouldn't matter what level; the clock person is considered an official so he should remain impartial. I do agree that if you can not find one person to run the clock you shouldn't have home games!

 

Ideally, we have a non-coach.

 

Realistically, we take any adult that knows how to do it.

Yes, I have seen those games where the head coach for the home team keeps the clock/score board. I have also seen that same head coach fudge some on starting the clock timely and it gave the home team an advantage. Not sure if it was intentional, but it sure didn't "look" good.

I'm sure schools can get in a jam at times with workers, so I don't have a problem with a coach at the table. However with that said, all coaches know that you can not say anything at the table, and I would think a strong official would say something to the coach about his coaching/comments.

 

Officials need to be strong and make tough calls if they want to be successful. This is one case an official should have taken control of the situation and tell the coach that it is prohibited to coach from the table (provided the officials heard him coaching).

Should say a word no matter what. It is one his duties.

By rule the scorer and timer are officials.

 

Considering its a freshman game and as long as the guy was keeping the clock and score correctly I'd have no problem with it. To me its no different than if he's sitting behind the bench and calling plays or coaching in any manner.

 

 

But it is different. As a time keeper/official, he needs to be impartial.

I agree with some of what Clyde is saying. There are frosh games I've seen where one of the player's girlfriends keeps the clock - but with that said, the varsity coach in the described case acted with no class.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.