2010 Spring Football

tdyballgame

Like I've said before, you can have anything you want, but you can't have it all. At some point players of multiple sports have to choose what they want to do. I'm not against basketball, baseball, or any other sport, but you asked a question, and I hate to answer it with another question, but: why don't other coaches do away with their off season workouts to make room for football? Summer baseball, fall baseball, summer basketball, and early basketball workouts? And, why do the players that just play football have to give up spring football so that the players that play other sports don't have to miss anything?

1. You are right . They have to make decisions. The obvious decision is to play baseball in the spring and devote yourself fully to it and play football in the summer/fall and devote yourself fully to that.

2. I don't know many/any high school football players that miss football once the passing league is over. The ones I know devote themselves to football at that point.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pity the poor HHS kids/parent's who play/cheer for the HHS Basketball teams who had to be crushed this week in losing, then reading this thread, where some HHS fans are actually giddy about being able to start Spring Football almost a full three weeks prior to the start of Spring because their classmates/friends lost!

Yes I am a CovCath fan but indeed this is sad to read and I wonder how the kids and parents of the Basketball team feel to hear some being so happy about Football being able to start so soon?

Whoa big fella. I think you forgot to open your basement windows when you were painting the UK baseball field on the floor. You are so far off base, it isn't even funny. Every HHS poster in this thread supports all the athletes at HHS.

HHS just gets to start earlier than everybody else. Nothing more, nothing less. S

So, for the HHS people, did HHS start spring football today?:jump:

Do this and have time for classroom work as well? I have younger boys but it is getting to be an interesting dilema. Sorry, I can't comment about boys track because IMO it doesn't count as a sport; however, spending time with personal trainers and working on your game to this extent for a handful of scholarships? I am not in love with Spring football; and I am a diehard. I see its advantages; but the HHS baseball team has a lot of good young athletes coming up in the ranks; and I hope that some of those boys stay the course. I believe boys should have fun and play and leatherneck I am not buying everything your selling. IMO the days of the 3 sport athlete are just gone; because of the length of the season and dedication required in each sport. I do believe that there are plenty of two sport athletes in the school and I hope it stays that way....TOG you do like to stir the pot; however, I am certain that all HHS fans wanted the boys basketball season not to end. Perhaps a new thread titled: With football and basketball falling on hard times spring baseball stirs excitement at Cov Cath.....:D

Can you explain the bolded part?? Aren't the events Olympic events, and scholarships given to athletes who particpate in track???:idunno:

Can you explain the bolded part?? Aren't the events Olympic events, and scholarships given to athletes who particpate in track???:idunno:

Reeeelax. He is just kiding. When you come onto a Highlands football thread you better be ready for some of this action. If you dont like it, then I suggest perhaps a bowling or track thread.

BTW, Dale had to drag 63 kicking and screaming players out of the warm confines of the gym to play a little footbal today. The Birds looked like they were in week 24 after a 60 day vacation. I dont know how he does it. The discipline is military sick. :thumb:Go Birds 20n10

Reeeelax. He is just kiding. When you come onto a Highlands football thread you better be ready for some of this action. If you dont like it, then I suggest perhaps a bowling or track thread.

BTW, Dale had to drag 63 kicking and screaming players out of the warm confines of the gym to play a little footbal today. The Birds looked like they were in week 24 after a 60 day vacation. I dont know how he does it. The discipline is military sick. :thumb:Go Birds 20n10

Sorry man, I did not realize this was a Highlands Football thread, I thought it was a spring football thread. :D And as far as him kidding about it, I could not tell and I never know how you bird fans think - seems Football is all there is to most of you!! :lol:

Sorry man, I did not realize this was a Highlands Football thread,[/b] I thought it was a spring football thread. :D And as far as him kidding about it, I could not tell and I never know how you bird fans think - seems Football is all there is to most of you!! :lol:

Well, in the HS Football threads, most all start out unclaimed by any one program. But give Highlands wackos a few days to take over and look out. BTW, we claim to know everything about football if you havent noticed alread, at least I do. Go Birds 20n10

63 kids out for Spring football is crazy. How can all those kids get legitimate reps?

Any new or surprising faces out their?

I thought Ethan Bishop looked very good at running back and may be the biggest surprise of the spring as well as Compton who looked much quicker. Patrick Towles looked huge. Didn't see Daniel Gold, I think he was at baseball. Ozzie Sheehan will be the recipient of a lot of bombs. He runs great routes. If this team had to play yesterday they could have done it. Any other teams in the area in full pads this spring?

I doubt that the head track coach at any school sees it that way.

If a runner misses two weeks right in the middle of a key conditioning period ... (especially with how tricky the weather has been lately) ... that kid will most likely never catch up.

And for the record ... we have been running track meets (as have MANY other schools) since the first week of January.

You are missing my point. I don't think the kid should miss track. I think that if done correctly the athlete can attend track practice, and still participate in Spring Football. Maybe not to the level of "non Spring Sports" athletes, but still run routes, learn coverages, catch football's etc. I admittedly am not a track guy, but I never got the impression that most Track coaches minded if an athlete did a little extra running. I am a baseball guy, and I know that baseball coaches are fairly particular about how much pitchers and catchters run, during their preparation for the season.

If a track or Baseball coach did not want his athletes participating in Spring football, I would have no problem with that. However, I believe if done correctly a kid can do both.

Again if Baseball wants to stop having Fall baseball, and there is no Summer Basketball, I have no problem giving up Spring Football. I just feel if done correctly schools with enough athletes can have successful Spring Football, with out having an adverse affect on Spring Sports.

63 kids out for Spring football is crazy. How can all those kids get legitimate reps?

Any new or surprising faces out their?

Well I can honestly say there werent many kids standing around. When they were it was very intense position coach to player instruction. All coaches reported for spring practice as well. What a commitment on behalf of all of the volunteer coaches.

Ethan Bishop looked beastly at running back along with Compton. I think the Birds will be as deep as ever at the RB position with some guys perhaps making position changes to get on the field imo. You have a combination of rbs, bulky guys in Compton and True, speed and bulk in Bishop, and then flat out speed in the Streiter brothers and others. And not to mention the thought of possibly putting Bruns in the backfield. Dale has a great problem as always. Professor Turner was working his magic in the far corner of the field with his O Line guys. Not the biggest line ever or even close, but also not the smallest. The Birds will roll this yr as far as this yrs group of O Lineman take them. Skill players the Birds are loaded with both experience and young, also Birds will be looking for a leader. :thumb:Go Birds 20n10

Daniel Gold and a few others were at baseball. The younger Streeter didn't dress. Either did Kevin Duenas, the fastest of the running backs in winter workouts. A number of linemen also observed practice in street clothes. It looked like Waldenmeyer played center and Billy Huddleston was at middle linebacker. Huddleston has had a great winter and is super-quick and strong. Compton and Bishop were impressive in running back drills. Bishop is solid and fast.

Daniel Gold and a few others were at baseball. The younger Streeter didn't dress. Either did Kevin Duenas, the fastest of the running backs in winter workouts. A number of linemen also observed practice in street clothes. It looked like Waldenmeyer played center and Billy Huddleston was at middle linebacker. Huddleston has had a great winter and is super-quick and strong. Compton and Bishop were impressive in running back drills. Bishop is solid and fast.

Interesting to see Bishop is back in the program. He is extremely fast and aggressive. I hope he can stay committed to the team and be a leader next year. Duenas and Bishop on the same field will be fun to watch. Huddleston has really gotten some size on him and he will be a nice LB. Is Towles playing baseball?

No one desires to start Spring football in 35 degree temps.

Spring football should be moved to start around April 1 at the earliest.

Its too cold, not even the coaches like it. Anyone that says starting now is a good thing, is not being honest with themselves or anyone else.

Spring football is a good thing, but poorly "ruled" by its timing.

No one desires to start Spring football in 35 degree temps.

Spring football should be moved to start around April 1 at the earliest.

Its too cold, not even the coaches like it. Anyone that says starting now is a good thing, is not being honest with themselves or anyone else.

Spring football is a good thing, but poorly "ruled" by its timing.

I agree 100%-spring football is good but not in these temps. Who ever came up with this idea needs their head checked. I just hope our Basketball team keeps wining so we dont have to go out in this stuff. By the way it isn't even spring until March 20th.