Has Rick Pitino lost his mojo?

SEMPERFIFALCON

Pretty sure UK/Pitino had a hard time recruiting against Michigan, Indiana, and UCLA while he was at Kentucky. The names have changed, but you can't say recruiting was easier.

IU wasn't a factor becasue Knight didn' recruit those type of kids.

Plus Pitino's style was exciting. Now everyone is using the 3point shot and running up and down the floor.

The game has changed over the last 15 years.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he has.

I think he may have mellowed a tiny bit, but I don't confuse that with losing his passion.

IMO, the only ones who do think that are those who WANT him to be gone from UL.

I hope he retires from Louisville later rather than sooner. He is good for the sport and the sport in this state. What the heck would all of you argue about if he left...This is fun.

:popcorn:

I don't think he has.

I think he may have mellowed a tiny bit, but I don't confuse that with losing his passion.

IMO, the only ones who do think that are those who WANT him to be gone from UL.

I couldn't care less if he stays or goes from Louisville. I do think that he's gone sooner rather than later, though. Particularly if Louisville stumbles down the stretch.

I couldn't care less if he stays or goes from Louisville. I do think that he's gone sooner rather than later, though. Particularly if Louisville stumbles down the stretch.

I'm not saying you in particular. But, even if Pitino leaves UL, I won't think it's because he's "lost his mojo".

I must say as the intial shock of RP going to UL wore off, I actually caught myself rooting for the Cardinals.

And let me say it is quite shocking to find myself partaking in such behavior.

:lol: Did you check for fever? Sore throat? Chills?

I think he'll be at UofL until at least 2012. The arena and 2011 class should keep him here until at least then. Then he'll hand the program to one of members of his coaching tree. Just my opinion...

It's hard to say he has lost it when he beat us last year and was the number one overall seed. When Ky continually thumps UL and they are NIT regulars, where we were last year, get back to me. UL is in good hands as much as I hate to say it. Ask Syracuse.

One thing I don't think validates anything to this discussion is last year, Last year the scene was much different at UL than it is now, and IMO everything that has happened since then has contributed to the changes that I've noticed in Pitino's body language and demeanor. I'm by no means ready to write off Pitino as a bad coach, he's far from it. But I will admit I think he's a much different person/coach on 2-22-10 than he was on 2-22-09. Personally I hope he stays at UL and continues to build off the success they've had, it’s hard for me to not like Pitino because of all the great things he did for UK and all the great things he said at Bill Keightley's service which you could tell came from the heart...

I thought after the 05 Final Four run that Pitino may have lost his passion, but I was an idiot back then. In his book, he says he has more passion now than he ever has, he just goes about it differently and enjoys other things as well. I would not complain one speck about the 08 and 09 seasons. Two straight elite eights is hard to beat. This season, I think we all knew going in they were going to be down a bit after losing Clark and Williams. He'll be just fine. I look for some improvement next season and a whole lot of improvement the year after. He's 9-5 right now in the best conference in basketball. G-town, the 13th ranked team in the country is 8-6. Is he doing that bad this year for what he's got to work with?

I think lack of talent and atmosphere at UL has more to do with it than his lack of MOJO. Especially, if you are having dinner with him, watch out for that MOJO!!!

Exactly. Look what happen the last time someone said he lost his MOJO. It wasn't pretty.

The funniest thing about Jones is how big of a spin dr. he is. He was a Cal basher until he got to UK. Here are a few of his classic Cal/Memphis comments:

-"Kansas vs Memphis….it is time for Kansas to win another. Memphis is a great team, but I simply cant pull for Calipari and the way he runs a program. Rock Chalk Jayhawk…."

-3.Matt Jones Says:

April 6th, 2008 at 12:01 am

All the while running one of the dirtiest programs in America….

-Matt Jones Says:

April 6th, 2008 at 12:57 am

I am not going to make a post on the subject. But travel in recruiting circles and you won’t find anyone who thinks that program is clean. You are free to have any feeling about Calipari u wish but I am not a fan of his tactics on building a program.

-The Final Four kicks off tonight with the UCLA Championships playing the Memphis Arrest Warrants.

-You just knew it was gonna happen deep down. Karma is a weird thing and it strikes at weird times and you just couldnt imagine that Memphis would really be allowed to win a national title. With a team full of players that had run-ins with the authorities, after the fight earlier this season at UAB, after their constant problems with free throw shooting and Coach Calipari’s mocking of it as an issue and the coach’s less than stellar reputation with the NCAA, you just HAD to think that it would catch up with them.

As for Memphis, you just knew this would happen. All year, they have laughed in the face of those who said you didnt need to hit free throws to win, and it was those free throws that lost the game. I make jokes about this Memphis team and I do have some problems with how Calipari runs his program.

He seems to of changed his tune on Cal since arriving at UK.