Has Rick Pitino lost his mojo?

SEMPERFIFALCON

The funniest thing about Jones is how big of a spin dr. he is. He was a Cal basher until he got to UK. Here are a few of his classic Cal/Memphis comments:

-"Kansas vs Memphis….it is time for Kansas to win another. Memphis is a great team, but I simply cant pull for Calipari and the way he runs a program. Rock Chalk Jayhawk…."

-3.Matt Jones Says:

April 6th, 2008 at 12:01 am

All the while running one of the dirtiest programs in America….

-Matt Jones Says:

April 6th, 2008 at 12:57 am

I am not going to make a post on the subject. But travel in recruiting circles and you won’t find anyone who thinks that program is clean. You are free to have any feeling about Calipari u wish but I am not a fan of his tactics on building a program.

-The Final Four kicks off tonight with the UCLA Championships playing the Memphis Arrest Warrants.

-You just knew it was gonna happen deep down. Karma is a weird thing and it strikes at weird times and you just couldnt imagine that Memphis would really be allowed to win a national title. With a team full of players that had run-ins with the authorities, after the fight earlier this season at UAB, after their constant problems with free throw shooting and Coach Calipari’s mocking of it as an issue and the coach’s less than stellar reputation with the NCAA, you just HAD to think that it would catch up with them.

As for Memphis, you just knew this would happen. All year, they have laughed in the face of those who said you didnt need to hit free throws to win, and it was those free throws that lost the game. I make jokes about this Memphis team and I do have some problems with how Calipari runs his program.

He seems to of changed his tune on Cal since arriving at UK.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting. :thumb:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think lack of talent and atmosphere at UL has more to do with it than his lack of MOJO. Especially, if you are having dinner with him, watch out for that MOJO!!!

Lack of atmosphere? Lack of talent? This year you may have a point on talent. Don't forget UL lost two lottery picks...

Lack of atmosphere? Lack of talent? This year you may have a point on talent. Don't forget UL lost two lottery picks...

That, IMO, is what seperates what UK was able to do in th mid 90's from anything Pitino (or anyone else for that matter) will be able to do now. Look at the turnover on that team from 96 to 97 and he had them in OT of the NC...then from 97 - 98 and Tubby won the NC...that will not be duplicated. It is VERY hard to rebound from that roster turnover and Louisville is having a year that is probably normal. Still a good coach, still a good program whether the 18% will admit it or not.

I think it is more of a lack of talent development in some way. Sosa & Smith were arguably better early on in their careers and Samuels has been more of a work in progress than anybody expected.

• 3 years later...

The perception that Calipari has made Rick pick up his game is one I disagree with. Rick was rolling before the Sypher scandal with two teams with Final Four potential that failed to get over the hump. Cal's arrival was coincidental to the dip the team suffered. JMO.

Also, this thread (and anyone who takes Matt Jones seriously) makes me :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I'll add, Rick has said that the current group of kids--Russ, Siva and Dieng especially--have rejuvenated him and his love for coaching. I imagine the explicit comparison is to some other players like Samuels and Williams.

I'll add, Rick has said that the current group of kids--Russ, Siva and Dieng especially--have rejuvenated him and his love for coaching. I imagine the explicit comparison is to some other players like Samuels and Williams.

Nope. The reason the Cards are doing so well this year is because Cal and Co. did so well last year.

Also, this thread (and anyone who takes Matt Jones seriously) makes me :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Why?

I take him very seriously. I've heard he is a pistol to deal with in person (don't care) but the site/radio show is very entertaining and informative. He doesn't pretend to know more than he does.