New Henry County coach

'ol#70

We can all name certain instances, however, ones that come to my recent mind that is much less than 10 years ago is Lone Oak this year, they fumbled some snaps and couldn't get under center in the state game and had no run game to wind the clock down, they lost because of this IMO.

Russell beating Owensboro Catholic where Russell threw the ball 0 times and Catholic ran it 0 times.

Russell and Mercer County in the State Championship game and both were run, run and more run.

Belfry beating E-Town where Belfry won by not throwing any and E-town lost by not running it any.

You also cannot compare NFL to high school because there is too much variety in high school and none in the NFL.

I don't think anyone will argue that an NFL team could win by running the ball all the time, because they couldn't.

There isn't a college team that can win it all by doing it either. That is running it 95% of the time. There as to variety at those levels, however, high school has proved itself that the run game is very much a huge factor.

Running teams can thrive every bit as much as passing teams can. I cannot think of a team that has ever won it by throwing the ball 95% or more of the time. However, I can name schools who run it more than 95% or more of the time. Control the clock and have a great defense, you can win a lot of games.

Dang right.

I can think of several old school, smash mouth football teams that made it to at least the state semis this year and/or onto the finals, some winning it all.

Sheldon Clark (wishbone until you get sick of it)

John Hardin (wing t)

DeSales (wing t)

Highlands (2 Back Gun and I don't think they threw it 3x's the whole game in the finals),

Marion County (wishbone)

Bowling Green (veer)

Bell County (wishbone, power I)

Boyle County (Over 4,000 yds rushing on the year. They could throw it when needed, too.)

Monroe County ( "I"/wishbone and definately made you respect their passing game)

St. X

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, 10 years ago. Times have changed. The two teams in the super bowl were spread teams. You can't line up and pound people into submission any more and win championships. The game has evolved.

Watch any interviews w/ John Elway and hear him tell why he was able to finally win back-to-back Super Bowls. Two Words. Terrelle Davis.

Go back and listen to Tom Leach speak about his '08 Texas Tech team and why they had the best year in his tenure there. It's because he had a couple RB's that could carry the rock better than ever before. I think they had close to 2,000 yards or maybe more on the season as a team? Did he have a QB that threw for 4,500 yards? Yep, but he also had that or better in years before. The difference? His team had a bonafied rushing attack.

The game hasn't changed. There's new fads and new ideologies that have come about, but the fact of the matter is, the same principles/philosophies that teams 100 years ago founded their winning programs on are the same that teams now win with (when it counts anway), and they are the same that will exist 100 years from now.

In saying all this, I think there are some definite positives to teams that do the Tony Franklin System. I just prefer "old school".

Back to the topic at hand though. Best of luck to Coach Graham. I definately think he will keep things rolling at Henry County. What Chris Engstrand was able to build there is nothing short of stellar. :thumb:

Maybe I should have been more clear. I never said throw it 90% of the time...nobody does that. I'm saying you have to spread it out to be successful. Two of the teams mentioned above are spread type teams, Boyle and Highlands. You don't have to pass to spread the field. It's a lot easier to run against 5 or 6 in the box vs. 7 or 8. To win running wishbone and power I you have to be better than the other team. Spreading the field helps you maximize your potential and evens the playing field.

To win you must block and tackle better than the other team. Good coaching, talent, and tradition, tend to help in those two areas.

Add discipline and you have it all covered, and there is no better plan to win than run the ball and play good defense.(stop the run)

To win you must block and tackle better than the other team. Good coaching, talent, and tradition, tend to help in those two areas.

Add discipline and you have it all covered, and there is no better plan to win than run the ball and play good defense.(stop the run)

Exactly. I think Highlands passed a little more when Collinsworth was a WR, and ran a little more when he was a RB.

It's about the personnel, not the offense.

Exactly. I think Highlands passed a little more when Collinsworth was a WR, and ran a little more when he was a RB.

It's about the personnel, not the offense.

I agree, and I believe the key to running the ball out of the system or spread is directly related to the talent at QB how he reads for the option and how talented of a runner he is.

Maybe I should have been more clear. I never said throw it 90% of the time...nobody does that. I'm saying you have to spread it out to be successful. Two of the teams mentioned above are spread type teams, Boyle and Highlands. You don't have to pass to spread the field. It's a lot easier to run against 5 or 6 in the box vs. 7 or 8. To win running wishbone and power I you have to be better than the other team. Spreading the field helps you maximize your potential and evens the playing field.

There is nothing "spread" about Boyle. Do they get in the gun some? Yes they do. You didn't see it in the finals, but a handful of times maybe, but they got in the wishbone a large majority of the time this year. B/t that and their double tight, double flanker set that they run to death. If you are considering that "spread", then you're right, they are. Like another poster has mentioned, I think it all depends on what our personal opinions of "spread" are. For me, it's Texas Tech, Hawai'i, Troy, MTSU, etc. All fun to watch, don't get me wrong. Just aren't my cup of tea(s).

The only thing spread about Highlands is the fact they are in a two back-Gun set, (a lot of pro set out of the gun is what it is a good amount of time).

We agree about how you win a football game, we just disagree on whether or not Tony Franklin either invented or promoted it. I have heard the words come out of his mouth that you lengthen the game to give yourself more chances to go to the air and score points. I think a good spread offense still runs the ball 50% of the time, whether it be qb, tail, or a motion reciever. As for this past season, neither the 4a, 5a, or 6a champions were base spread teams. Spread formations were a small part of their offenses, and were overall the least sucessful parts.

As for this past season, neither the 4a, 5a, or 6a champions were base spread teams. Spread formations were a small part of their offenses, and were overall the least successful parts.

Yes, but was that do to the type of offense they ran, or was it do to the type of personnel they had?

We agree about how you win a football game, we just disagree on whether or not Tony Franklin either invented or promoted it. I have heard the words come out of his mouth that you lengthen the game to give yourself more chances to go to the air and score points. I think a good spread offense still runs the ball 50% of the time, whether it be qb, tail, or a motion reciever. As for this past season, neither the 4a, 5a, or 6a champions were base spread teams. Spread formations were a small part of their offenses, and were overall the least sucessful parts.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

:ohbrother:

The question is what will the new coach do? Let's get back on topic.

I would say that Boyle spread the field, X spread it at times (many times this season they were 5 wide), and Highlands is for sure spread.