Danville's Will Dunn transfer to Boyle County

ThinThirty

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just talked to Will Sr.Last week and He did not mention anything about Will transfering....I have no clue why He decided to transfer but I wish Will the best...First thing that came to my mind was maybe it's something to do with a girlfriend...:idunno:

Will Sr. is a good guy that I consider a friend,and Will Jr. is a good Kid...No hard or Ill feelings from me...Nothing but the best of Luck to Will...:thumb:

That is not true at all. I have worked with kids for the past 8 years who got scholarships and were not better than some others that had 0 offers. You have to get your information out there as well. There are over 200 football teams in Kentucky alone. If you figure that there are only 40 on each team, that is 8,000 kids. You think any college coach knows about all those teams and all those kids and their ability to play? The smaller schools also don't have the recruiting budgets that the larger schools have and are often limited to a much smaller geographic area.

Just because you are a good player doesn't mean that college coaches have no idea who you are and if you can play. How many college scouts do you see at the average high school game?

I agree with you that it is good to market yourself if you feel you can play at the next level. With your experience as posted, do you think a recruiter considers it a negative if the player is at a small school?

How can you start and play for your high school basketball team on Saturday and then on Monday walk out of school and go to your rival school without telling any of your teammates or your coaches what you are doing? Looks fishy.

I guess only some people knew because half the people I talked to were stunned he left, the other half said they thought this was coming because it had been mentioned that he might transfer to Boyle County.

In terms of scholarships......there will be people coming to watch Lamar Dawson next year. There is a possibility that those guys coming to watch Lamar will see Will which in theory would give him more exposure than at Danville. Just thought I'd throw that out there for those of you arguing about scholarships.

I also heard Murray State is looking at Rees MacShara also.

How can you start and play for your high school basketball team on Saturday and then on Monday walk out of school and go to your rival school without telling any of your teammates or your coaches what you are doing? Looks fishy.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt but your comment to me looks very indicting and unfair. What does "looks fishy" imply or mean?

:irked::idunno::confused::ohbrother::irked:

That is not true at all. I have worked with kids for the past 8 years who got scholarships and were not better than some others that had 0 offers. You have to get your information out there as well. There are over 200 football teams in Kentucky alone. If you figure that there are only 40 on each team, that is 8,000 kids. You think any college coach knows about all those teams and all those kids and their ability to play? The smaller schools also don't have the recruiting budgets that the larger schools have and are often limited to a much smaller geographic area.

Just because you are a good player doesn't mean that college coaches have no idea who you are and if you can play. How many college scouts do you see at the average high school game?

Yes you do have to still promote your athlete however he will not be looked down upon because he played A or AA ball.

Not a good sign for Danville, not sure what is going on there, but I do not see them winning many without Dunn.

Danville will miss Will Dunn next season no question, but if they can get their attitudes right they will have a better season than 2009. Remember he missed a lot of footbal games in 2009 due to injury, when he came back he played well but I don't think it will have a huge impact on the season especially since they have this much time to get ready and use to him being gone.

I talked with Will Sr today...What a great great guy...I love Will Sr. as A friend...I hope All works out with Will Jr...I hope Coach Harp will stand behind Will's decision to transfer....I can Understand why Coach Harp and the Admiral's would be upset,but this is a good kid trying to beter himself...

This is a no win cituation or a everybody is a winner...Only time will tell...:thumb:

I talked with Will Sr today...What a great great guy...I love Will Sr. as A friend...I hope All works out with Will Jr...I hope Coach Harp will stand behind Will's decision to transfer....I can Understand why Coach Harp and the Admiral's would be upset,but this is a good kid trying to beter himself...

This is a no win cituation or a everybody is a winner...Only time will tell...:thumb:

I don't think that it matters if Coah Harp agrees with or not it is whether the KHSAA will rule him eligible or not.

I am certainly not a recruiter for a college football program so I don't know for certain what recruiters are looking for, but from my experience of having two sons play high school football and being interested in playing college football, I'm of the opinion that college recruiters put much, much more emphasis on combine performances, college camp performances and physical traits (speed, size, quickness etc) than they do on high school game performances. I've been told that a lot of college recruiters will look at some highlight plays and will look at a little game tape, but not much. Obviously if a player hasn't been to camps and combines (and they have the physical traits needed) sending tapes or playing in the big games may be more helpful. But it's my understanding that college football coaches are of the mindset that if you have the physical tools to play college football, they can coach you into being a college football player.

If my understanding is correct, then playing at the 4A level vs 1A level shouldn't make too much of a difference in whether he lands a college scholarship.

In my experience, this post is 100% correct. I will add that kids should go to as many Senior Day one-day camps as possible at as many schools as possible. This will be during the summer between the junior and senior years.

Danville will miss Will Dunn next season no question, but if they can get their attitudes right they will have a better season than 2009. Remember he missed a lot of footbal games in 2009 due to injury, when he came back he played well but I don't think it will have a huge impact on the season especially since they have this much time to get ready and use to him being gone.

No doubt Danville has the coaching to excel with what they have and if a kid does not have his heart in it for the school he needs to move along. Good luck to danville.