Danville's Will Dunn transfer to Boyle County

ThinThirty

This could be a bad move for this kid, I mean Danville can be a year away, maybe next year, playing for a title. I mean Boyle Co. is a championship program not a bad place to transfer to, but Danville is not some run of mill hope to have a winning season type program, they are always threat to win a title all most every year.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be a bad move for this kid, I mean Danville can be a year away, maybe next year, playing for a title. I mean Boyle Co. is a championship program not a bad place to transfer to, but Danville is not some run of mill hope to have a winning season type program, they are always threat to win a title all most every year.

I understand what you are saying Blackshirts and traditionally you would have been right, but I think Danville might be farther away from winning a title than many believe. In my own opinion, I think Danville's best days are behind them.

I do not believe this increases your chance of a scholarship. If you can play they will find you no matter where you play h.s.

Playing in a higher division against better compitition will increase his chances at a scholorship. 1A & 2A kids rarely get D1 rides, because college coaches cannot guage their level of play against the speed of the game. If you want a ride to play with the big boys you need to play the big schools. And I know all you small school guys will whine about this but it is the truth, it is not a knock. There are great kids at that level and they work and play hard, this is not a shot at the kids. Just watch a top level 5A or 6A game then watch a !a or 2A game. The big schools play at a different level of speed and size. Colleges want to see their recruits dominate quality opponents at the HS level to know they can play at the next level.

I'm still trying to figure out how one can go across town and join their so-called arch rivals. When I played, I would've rather spent my time on the playground as to play for a certain rival.

True, but I'd be wondering what is going on at Danville to have had their 4th athlete transfer away from the school in the last 3-4 years. Spencer Perrin and Christian Williams to Boyle County, Leonard Macon to Taylor County and now Will Dunn to Boyle County. How come these kids seem to be leaving every year? What is really going on?

I'm still trying to figure out how one can go across town and join their so-called arch rivals. When I played, I would've rather spent my time on the playground as to play for a certain rival.

Ever heard of Mike Mitchell? He went from Cov Cath to Highlands. Not much difference in rivalry than Boyle-Danville.

Will is Wilburs son.

Did not know that.

Wilbur Dunn was one of the best High School backs I ever saw. He was a load and fast. A threat from anywhere on the field on Garrard teams that didn't have the best line around. He had a great career at Kentucky State.

I hope this kid become eligible for the Rebels and is at least close to the talent Wilbur exhibited. :thumb:

I understand what you are saying Blackshirts and traditionally you would have been right, but I think Danville might be farther away from winning a title than many believe. In my own opinion, I think Danville's best days are behind them.

I too have been disappointed in Danville's performance in the last few years. I hope this is not a sign of deeper problems in their program.

Playing in a higher division against better compitition will increase his chances at a scholarship. 1A & 2A kids rarely get D1 rides, because college coaches cannot guage their level of play against the speed of the game. If you want a ride to play with the big boys you need to play the big schools. And I know all you small school guys will whine about this but it is the truth, it is not a knock. There are great kids at that level and they work and play hard, this is not a shot at the kids. Just watch a top level 5A or 6A game then watch a !a or 2A game. The big schools play at a different level of speed and size. Colleges want to see their recruits dominate quality opponents at the HS level to know they can play at the next level.

I guess I will be the first guy to whine.

This is simply not true. First, I know of as many players in 1A, 2A, and 3A that have received attention and scholarships from D1 schools in the state as I do 4A, 5A, and 6A players. Second, I have spoke to many D1, D1AA, D2, And NAIA coaches and scouts, and they have all said the same thing: they don't care about the school size that a player plays at, just like pro scouts don't care what size college a player played for. Thirdly, I read a book several years ago (I will have to find the name) written by a coach that won multiple stated championships in California, he coached at one of the large well known schools in California. He advocated sending your son to a small school, if he is good and hopes to get D1 attention. He said that by going to a large school, you are often overlooked. He said he had seen many great players who did not get enough playing time in high school to prove they could play college just because they went to a large school.

There are several other things I have heard and know. Will and his father may not be satisfied with the way things have gone with the football program the last few years and don't think things will change, a Boyle County coach who has strong Garrad County ties just like Will's dad and these two are friends as I witnessed at the Bob Allen Pigskin classic, but this is speculation on my part, but could make sense.:D

Playing in a higher division against better compitition will increase his chances at a scholorship. 1A & 2A kids rarely get D1 rides, because college coaches cannot guage their level of play against the speed of the game. If you want a ride to play with the big boys you need to play the big schools. And I know all you small school guys will whine about this but it is the truth, it is not a knock. There are great kids at that level and they work and play hard, this is not a shot at the kids. Just watch a top level 5A or 6A game then watch a !a or 2A game. The big schools play at a different level of speed and size. Colleges want to see their recruits dominate quality opponents at the HS level to know they can play at the next level.

Guess you have not heard of players such as: Dennis Johnson,Gordon Crowe,Craig Yeast,Micah Johnson,Micah Jones,or John Cole just to name a few. These guys all came from Class A and AA schools. Again if you can play they will find you.

There are several other things I have heard and know. Will and his father may not be satisfied with the way things have gone with the football program the last few years and don't think things will change, a Boyle County coach who has strong Garrad County ties just like Will's dad and these two are friends as I witnessed at the Bob Allen Pigskin classic, but this is speculation on my part, but could make sense.:D

If Will and his dad are really saying things then the young man will likely never regain his eligiblity.

I do believe it's safe to say that the more exposure one gets it has to increase his chances. Recruiters learn lots from players when they play in huge High school games like the Boyle/ Lex. Cath or the Boyle/Bell or the Boyle/ Lone Oak game.

The number of scholarshps offered or excepted has nothing to do with exposure.

I am certainly not a recruiter for a college football program so I don't know for certain what recruiters are looking for, but from my experience of having two sons play high school football and being interested in playing college football, I'm of the opinion that college recruiters put much, much more emphasis on combine performances, college camp performances and physical traits (speed, size, quickness etc) than they do on high school game performances. I've been told that a lot of college recruiters will look at some highlight plays and will look at a little game tape, but not much. Obviously if a player hasn't been to camps and combines (and they have the physical traits needed) sending tapes or playing in the big games may be more helpful. But it's my understanding that college football coaches are of the mindset that if you have the physical tools to play college football, they can coach you into being a college football player.

If my understanding is correct, then playing at the 4A level vs 1A level shouldn't make too much of a difference in whether he lands a college scholarship.