Danville's Will Dunn transfer to Boyle County

ThinThirty

Guess you have not heard of players such as: Dennis Johnson,Gordon Crowe,Craig Yeast,Micah Johnson,Micah Jones,or John Cole just to name a few. These guys all came from Class A and AA schools. Again if you can play they will find you.

I agree with you 100%. Sometimes you have to reach out to them, but if you have the physical tools to play college football, from what I'm told, college recruiters don't care what level of high school football you played or whether you played in "big" games or not; they don't care whether you were first team all state or not selected at all; and they don't care about what stats you racked up in high school.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several other things I have heard and know. Will and his father may not be satisfied with the way things have gone with the football program the last few years and don't think things will change, a Boyle County coach who has strong Garrad County ties just like Will's dad and these two are friends as I witnessed at the Bob Allen Pigskin classic, but this is speculation on my part, but could make sense.:D

I guess that coach would be Jeff Hester, former Garrard and Morehead State player, former Garrard head coach and current assistant at Boyle. I could see wanting your child to play for a certain coach, but if you broadcast that stuff and make it obvious, I would imagine it can make transferring pretty difficult.

I do want to clarify that no one I have spoke with(a whole lot of people) about this situation has talked to Will or his father. Everything everybody is saying speculation and I do want to make it clear that no one knows why Will is now a Boyle County Rebel except for him and his family. I know there are a lot of hurt and hard feelings over these recent events and when I say hard feelings I should let it be known that these are really hard feelings. Apparently on both sides of the issue. I don't think anyone outside of Will and his family will ever explain why the sudden move, but there was obvious a reason for the sudden move and I hope everything works out for him to be able to play.

Hester is the Defensive Coordinator. I doubt Will transferred from Danville just so he could play defense for Coach Hester. Not saying it's a bad idea, but there is a whole lot more to the story and the situation other than playing for Coach Hester or Larry French for that matter. I do love Coach Hester though and would understand if a kid transferred to play for Coach Hester, I just know that in this situation there is more to it than simply wanting to play for Coach Hester or Coach French.

I agree with you 100%. Sometimes you have to reach out to them, but if you have the physical tools to play college football, from what I'm told, college recruiters don't care what level of high school football you played or whether you played in "big" games or not; they don't care whether you were first team all state or not selected at all; and they don't care about what stats you racked up in high school.

Without opening up a can of worms or the past, I know you have more insight into another situation than I, but here goes.

Didn't Mike Mitchell cite a reason for his family's move to the Highlands District and his transfer was so he would have more opportunity to be seen by scouts in a different setting and/or position?

I'm just asking because I really thought I recall that was part of that equation. If so, I would see this case with Dunn as being similar.

I said in my earlier post that I was speculating, I wasn't trying to say anything bad about anything. But I have been close enough to know the situation and thought it could be possible. I don't think Will would want to go to Boyle "just" to play for any particular coach, but be in a better situation as far as football is concerned. I also don't think they are talking about what happened to make the move. I wish him the best what ever happens.:thumb:

I said in my earlier post that I was speculating, I wasn't trying to say anything bad about anything. But I have been close enough to know the situation and thought it could be possible. I don't think Will would want to go to Boyle "just" to play for any particular coach, but be in a better situation as far as football is concerned. I also don't think they are talking about what happened to make the move. I wish him the best what ever happens.:thumb:

Oh, I know, ThinThirty.:thumb: My post wasn't aimed at you, I didn't want to single anyone out so I tried to keep it broad without putting someone's post in quotes.

I'd say you hear a lot of the same things I hear and I'd say you know a lot of the same things I know. Danville can be such a small town sometimes.:cool::D

Much like you, I wish him the best in whatever happens. I think everything will work out.

Do you think we'll see Big Will at the basketball game tonight?............

I am certainly not a recruiter for a college football program so I don't know for certain what recruiters are looking for, but from my experience of having two sons play high school football and being interested in playing college football, I'm of the opinion that college recruiters put much, much more emphasis on combine performances, college camp performances and physical traits (speed, size, quickness etc) than they do on high school game performances. I've been told that a lot of college recruiters will look at some highlight plays and will look at a little game tape, but not much. Obviously if a player hasn't been to camps and combines (and they have the physical traits needed) sending tapes or playing in the big games may be more helpful. But it's my understanding that college football coaches are of the mindset that if you have the physical tools to play college football, they can coach you into being a college football player.

If my understanding is correct, then playing at the 4A level vs 1A level shouldn't make too much of a difference in whether he lands a college scholarship.

:thumb: Right on target LN.

Size and speed outweigh all other factors by a wide margin. If you have that, D1 recruiters could care less what high school or class level you played. Conversely, you could be a stud player and set records on a 6A state champion and if you don't have the size and speed THEY WANT (not what some parent thinks they want), you won't get a sniff from a D1 recruiter. I am sure every poster on here can name some stud player they are shocked did not get a D1 scholarship. Bottom line, if you are good enough they will come - even if you play for a 1A school.

Read the first sentance of my previous post again, it will increase his chances at a scholarship. While it is not impossible to earn a D1 scolarship playing in 1A or 2A it is decidedly more difficult. College coaches just don't come to the games as much and don't evaluate the film the same. If a kid plays 1A or 2A he needs to, not only stand out but be a man amonst boys. If you saw any of the players mentioned above, Johnson, Yeast, etc. this was the case for them. Johnson looked like a 30 year old man playing in an 8th grade game, he was that good but you have to be that good for them to "find" you. If you are not the physical speciman Micah Johnson is then you need to play better comipitition and in front of more scouts to prove you can excel on the next level.

Read the first sentance of my previous post again, it will increase his chances at a scholarship. While it is not impossible to earn a D1 scolarship playing in 1A or 2A it is decidedly more difficult. College coaches just don't come to the games as much and don't evaluate the film the same. If a kid plays 1A or 2A he needs to, not only stand out but be a man amonst boys. If you saw any of the players mentioned above, Johnson, Yeast, etc. this was the case for them. Johnson looked like a 30 year old man playing in an 8th grade game, he was that good but you have to be that good for them to "find" you. If you are not the physical speciman Micah Johnson is then you need to play better comipitition and in front of more scouts to prove you can excel on the next level.

That was my thinking, plus you would get to prove yourself against stronger competition in most cases.

I still disagree. The difference between Danville and Boyle County to a D1 recruiter is zero. Hopefully he changed schools for some other reason, and I would guess he did.

Without opening up a can of worms or the past, I know you have more insight into another situation than I, but here goes.

Didn't Mike Mitchell cite a reason for his family's move to the Highlands District and his transfer was so he would have more opportunity to be seen by scouts in a different setting and/or position?

I'm just asking because I really thought I recall that was part of that equation. If so, I would see this case with Dunn as being similar.

That was reasoning posted on here by some, but to the best of my knowledge, Mitchell NEVER cited such as a reason for the move.

I still disagree. The difference between Danville and Boyle County to a D1 recruiter is zero. Hopefully he changed schools for some other reason, and I would guess he did.

Exactly...A good example is McShara...a great high school back playing for Boyle, not getting much of a sniff from D1 or 1AA schools.

I do not believe this increases your chance of a scholarship. If you can play they will find you no matter where you play h.s.

That is not true at all. I have worked with kids for the past 8 years who got scholarships and were not better than some others that had 0 offers. You have to get your information out there as well. There are over 200 football teams in Kentucky alone. If you figure that there are only 40 on each team, that is 8,000 kids. You think any college coach knows about all those teams and all those kids and their ability to play? The smaller schools also don't have the recruiting budgets that the larger schools have and are often limited to a much smaller geographic area.

Just because you are a good player doesn't mean that college coaches have no idea who you are and if you can play. How many college scouts do you see at the average high school game?