KHSAA Board of Control Against Split

Tough as Nails

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if the KHSAA tries to split the state into two tourneys then the privates will come up with some other model. They certainly won't let all the money that would be generated from an X / T postseason matchup flow to the KHSAA. I think that if the split happens the privates take their ball and go home and find something else that will allow them to survive.

Help me out, exactly how is the post season monies divided? I thought, and I am probably wrong, but that the money from the finals at Poppa Johns went to the KHSAA, but that all other playoff revenue went to the teams that participated, less expenses? If that is the case, I can see a scenario where 3A and 4A combine and St. X, T, Cov Cath, Lex. Cath have a 4 team tournament. A double header like that would sell out Poppa Johns and let those 4 teams split a gate of $300,000+. Enough travel money so that they can play whomever they want during the regular season. Talk about having your cake and eat it too. The "Big 4" in the private league can play a Moeller, MBA type regional regular season schedule, plus select KY schools, and collect big bucks at the end of the year.

Any thoughts or corrections?

Many are on "scholarship".

And they also received the best in steroids that our bio-engineering department can offer. Additionally we have our own diagnostic equipment that can speedily and accurately diagnose any sports injury and suggest proper treatment. With such technological marvels in addition to our cloning vats, dorms and full athletic scholarships we should never lose a game. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, do you have any idea what you are talking about; or are you just a disgruntled individual because a private school has had considerable success in your area and due to such events heresay has dictated that they must be giving athletic "scholarships?"

Not to sound like a total jerk, which I am sure I am, I just want to know the details that surroiund your claims of "scholarships."

The school in my area does not even have football. Yet they can financially aid students. That is an unfair playing field.

Offering financial aid to students is different that scholarships. Financial aid is based upon a determined financial need of the family. A scholarship is an award based upon some sort of achievement.

Help me out, exactly how is the post season monies divided? I thought, and I am probably wrong, but that the money from the finals at Poppa Johns went to the KHSAA, but that all other playoff revenue went to the teams that participated, less expenses? If that is the case, I can see a scenario where 3A and 4A combine and St. X, T, Cov Cath, Lex. Cath have a 4 team tournament. A double header like that would sell out Poppa Johns and let those 4 teams split a gate of $300,000+. Enough travel money so that they can play whomever they want during the regular season. Talk about having your cake and eat it too. The "Big 4" in the private league can play a Moeller, MBA type regional regular season schedule, plus select KY schools, and collect big bucks at the end of the year.

Any thoughts or corrections?

They would not sell out or come close.

I am not sure you can do a "back of the envelope" calculation to determine if there is a model for how this would work for non-public schools. There would be a lot of factors I am sure.