Finals weekend - Fri: 4A,2A,5A Sat: 3A,1A,6A

crunch2376

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and most of those thoughts, positive or negative, are mostly made with a geographic bias. Most northern and eastern Ky folks are predicting gloom and doom because they have to drive further. Most central and west Ky folks don't care because it is the same distance to travel for them.

The premise of this thread was to ascertain poster's thoughts on the switch. My thought was that the move would hurt attendance. I didn't percieve that as complaining, or whining. It was just my thought on the move. No more. No less.

Understood and agreed although I understood the premise of this thread to be about thoughts involving the change in schedule, not change in venue. The only part of my post directed to you was the part that your prediction may be wrong and that the numbers will be what the numbers will be. Since the football championships haven't been held at BG since 75, it's really a guess what the attendance will be like. Perhaps you are right and if X and Trinity meet in the 6A championship, there won't be near as many fans for that game. Given the rabid-like nature of X and Trinity fans, I'd expect a very strong turnout for that game if it was held in Cincinnati! Your prediction may end up turning out to be correct; then again since the KHSAA had no other options, what does it matter if the attendance is down? Would it have been better for the kids playing in the state championship games if they had played the games at UK on grass, with the teams playing on Saturday perhaps playing in a mud bowl and the KHSAA having a big monetary liability to replace the grass for UK? I don't think so.

The complaining part was directed to folks complaining about the additional drive. I just have a really hard time understanding why a fan wouldn't go to support his/her team, if they could, just because of the additional drive. The complaining part was also directed to those criticizing the KHSAA for the change in venue (not so much on this thread, but in other ones). The KHSAA had no choice.

I hope you are able to make it to BG. From what I hear, the City and WKU are really going to do things right. I know that they do a great job with the Girls Sweet 16 and have no reason to believe they won't do the same with the football championships. Heck, hopefully they'll make the event worth the additional drive. If not, just seeing the Birds play in the game, if they make it, will be worth the additional drive for me and I think the same would be true for you as I know you are a big fan of the Birds.

I actually read somewhere Bowling Green has one of the highest restaurants per capita rate of any city in the country. I don't know why anyone would research a thing like that, nor why I remember it...

Entertainment ? The Corvette Museum is a COOL place to visit. And Louisville doesn't have one ( :p ).

IMO BG is just not a place I have enjoyed visting during the KHSAA basketball venues. Facilities are extra nice but the town is Booooring.

I'd go watch Highlands play in a state championship game if it was held in Alabama if I had to. That's what fans of a program do. If I offended any one with that last comment, well you're just going to have to get over it, because I meant it. Go Birds!

If Mayfield made it also I could stay at my parents house. It is only 50 miles to Legion Field. They have a big house with extra bedrooms for any football fans LOL.

According the Google Maps, it's a three and a half hour drive from Cincinnati to BG, almost two hours longer than it is from Cincinnati to Louisville.
Yes, it's a nasty, long trip. I'm sure it's great for those who find it easy to travel whenever and wherever they like. But for others, it makes the prospect a much more difficult one. The move couldn't be helped at all, but I do feel attendance will be hurt by it.

Yes, it's a nasty, long trip. I'm sure it's great for those who find it easy to travel whenever and wherever they like. But for others, it makes the prospect a much more difficult one. The move couldn't be helped at all, but I do feel attendance will be hurt by it.

In your situation, I agree the longer trip is more than just a minor inconvenience. I've got no problem with you being disappointed with the move.

I do not think it makes a difference where the finals are played. If you are a supporter of the school that is in the finals you are going to the game. You might get a few more stragglers that don't have a vested interest in particular team, but you'll get those extra bodies no matter where it is played.

I agree. My wife and I had stated that we'd travel anywhere in Kentucky to see this game. I think if you're an avid support of the school, the team, and the young men that make up that team you owe it to them to make the trip.

All the complaining about travel distance and what not really makes me a bit irked. I remember listening to the state championship game last year....just wishing that I had the opportunity to drive to the game to watch my son and his friends beat NCC and win their second state championship! Give it a rest people, gas up the vehicle, make some reservations, get out there and support your team. Some of these boys may never get the opportunity to play in something like this again, so shut up and drive.

What kind of entertainment is in BG compared to Louisville? Are there any places to spend the night and eat.

I don't know about entertainment, other than the National Corvette Museum (which is really cool if you're a Vette fan). But I do know that Mariah's 1818 serves up some pretty good food! My favorite is the Chicken & Buttons, but everytime we go, nobody at the table is disappointed.

Later.

My daughter goes to Western, and I love Mariah's. :thumb:

It's great to meet another Mariah fan!

I have a question. On Friday school is in session and the students will be on campus. Where is everyone going to park? :idunno:

I might bring my mountain bikes and ride from the hotel to the stadium. But I'm not sure if the weather will alow us to do so.

That brings up a good point though. Maybe the parking garages next to the stadium will be cleared out for the games.

Later.