Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Cov Cath install lights?

Featured Replies

Having lights would seem as beneficial as having a turf field. .

 

100% incorrect.

 

Turf has transformed the location from a high school soccer/football facility ONLY to a full community location.

  • Replies 304
  • Views 34.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't change it. I wish more teams would play Saturday afternoon games, actually. Makes for better photography, and gives fans multiple options for games on a weekend.

 

While my wife would disagree, I thoroughly enjoy being able to watch a game like SK/Dixie or HHS/X on a Friday night and then see the Colonels play on Saturday afternoon.

When is the new field going to be ready?

 

 

Sister Paulann told me it should be ready by the end of October!

For the record , I love the Friday Night Lights. I think it adds a lot and is part of the great tradition of high school football. However, I don't think every team should do it and I don't see the downside to the Saturday afternnon only game in town aspect.

No question. Keep the Saturday games.

Everything you list would be on the "+" side of the equation.

 

Correct, because personally, I don't see any cons of adding lights and having the option to play on Friday nights.

Correct, because personally, I don't see any cons of adding lights and having the option to play on Friday nights.

 

Cost would be one.

CCH tradition would be another.

Neighors reaction could be another.

Low priority in the big scheme.

The lack of lights has not produced any negatives that have impacted the program.

It's simply more energy on Friday nights. The student body is more excited, because the weekend has arrived, less students having to miss the game because of weekend jobs, and families that have younger kids in youth football, and weekend fall baseball would not have to decide or split ways to be with both athletes. There's several pro's and cons of playing on Saturday, but the real tradition is "Friday Night Lights".

 

Most of the Cov Cath kids are on scholarship, so they don't have weekend jobs. :p

 

Seriously, the lights would help. I think it'd be cool as long as the football games stay on Saturday.

 

As much use as the field gets now, it'd get even more use. But, I don't know how much better it'd really be. There are only so many hours that you can have somebody out there playing, and if you get lights & rent it out, you're actually creating less space & time for your teams to practice.

Most of the Cov Cath kids are on scholarship, so they don't have weekend jobs. :p

 

.

 

Hats off to you.

 

 

 

:cry:

 

You can mock me all you'd like, but it's a valid point. I'm not speaking in hypotheticals, my parent's home is right behind the field. The people were there first, and quite frankly with the way the AD treated most of them I don't blame them one bit for voting against lights every time it comes up. If they had moved in after the field was there I'd say it's a different story, but most of them have been there longer and didn't know or ask for this to be built in their backyard and have the right to a life that doesn't include blaring music, little kids, loud crowds, speakers, and on top of that lights until 10:30 or so at night on a Friday.

 

As for the people who say CCH should have to only play away games because it inconveniences other schools that they only play home games on Saturdays, are you being serious? That's absurd.

You can mock me all you'd like, but it's a valid point. I'm not speaking in hypotheticals, my parent's home is right behind the field. The people were there first, and quite frankly with the way the AD treated most of them I don't blame them one bit for voting against lights every time it comes up. If they had moved in after the field was there I'd say it's a different story, but most of them have been there longer and didn't know or ask for this to be built in their backyard and have the right to a life that doesn't include blaring music, little kids, loud crowds, speakers, and on top of that lights until 10:30 or so at night on a Friday.

 

As for the people who say CCH should have to only play away games because it inconveniences other schools that they only play home games on Saturdays, are you being serious? That's absurd.

 

You've mentioned the AD a few times. What is the beef that the locals have with him?

I heard many of the people who live next to the field lights won't just be used for friday nights, but for many other sporting events.

One negative about Saturday games, most of the time the entire coaching staff for the following weeks game can attend, instead of frosh coaches scouting. Big disadvantage, IMO. A lot can be learned from seeing a team live, opposed to on film.

I was told that the city wanted to approve lights as part of the Schott Building, but the jellyfish of a AD did not want to do anything.

Also there is alot more conflicts on Saturday today than there were 30 years ago.

I know of at least 4 families that must choose between High School games or the Middle School games.

Also when the field was first built,as I states earlier, football was the only team on the field and at that time the team practiced on the baseball field.

Today the soccer team has the field to about 4:00 so football has the fiels till dark.

Last nights Freshman game started at 5:30, when I got there night the varsity defence was having practice between the track and field, the middle schoolers had to practice in the mud, nothing wrong with that.

There is more people I talk who miss games on a Saturday because of their kids .

I was one for years that throught it did not make a difference, but CovCath is losing a lot of gate money playing on Saturday.

You can mock me all you'd like, but it's a valid point. I'm not speaking in hypotheticals, my parent's home is right behind the field. The people were there first, and quite frankly with the way the AD treated most of them I don't blame them one bit for voting against lights every time it comes up. If they had moved in after the field was there I'd say it's a different story, but most of them have been there longer and didn't know or ask for this to be built in their backyard and have the right to a life that doesn't include blaring music, little kids, loud crowds, speakers, and on top of that lights until 10:30 or so at night on a Friday.

 

As for the people who say CCH should have to only play away games because it inconveniences other schools that they only play home games on Saturdays, are you being serious? That's absurd

.

 

 

High School football is a Friday night game. Why should CCH be allowed to be different and have other schools change their routine for them. That is absurd.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.