Should Cov Cath install lights?

Nobody is saying you can't have Saturday games just because you get lights. Heck, look at most colleges. If you had lights, you could play either Friday or Saturday. Your little league could play games on the "Big" field. What a thrill for the little guys. Your soccer team could play at night. Winter practices could last longer. All kinds of other events could take place. You could rent the facility to other sports groups for use at night.

Just some thoughts.

Why can't the youth leagues play at the Big Field without lights??? Granted, you could get more games in, with the lights....but most youth organizations - given a choice - would prefer to pay less and use the field during the day, instead of paying more to use it at night.

Bottom-line may simply be whether or not CC can AFFORD to buy lights.

Good luck to CC...hope they get it worked out.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tradition! What tradition? It's called evolution. The high school kids at CCH that are not able to go and play college football, will never get to experience a "TRUE HOME GAME" under the lights on Friday night; there's nothing better! Every iron heart young football player knows that true traditional high school football occurs on Friday night. Playing on Saturday interferes with the youth programs, possible college visits, and it takes away that extra recovery day for the players. Maybe they should have put the lights in with the grotto project. Get some lights and let the boys enjoy the true traditional high school football experience while they can. That's my free opinion.

"The light bulb, in particular, profoundly changed human existence by illuminating the night and making it hospitable to a wide range of human activity. The electric light, one of the everyday conveniences that most affects our lives."

Make use of great creations!

Edited by Birdsfan

Everyone here is looking from just from a football point of view. Almost everyday you have 200 kids trying to get practice or games in before it gets dark. If the soccer team has a game, the football team must shorten practice or move to the grass field in front, which is small and not in good shape.

And it does not mean you can not have Saturday football.

Edited by Birdsfan

Why can't the youth leagues play at the Big Field without lights??? Granted, you could get more games in, with the lights....but most youth organizations - given a choice - would prefer to pay less and use the field during the day, instead of paying more to use it at night.

Bottom-line may simply be whether or not CC can AFFORD to buy lights.

Good luck to CC...hope they get it worked out.

I'd say that money has little to no impact on the decision.

Tradition! What tradition? It's called evolution. The High School kids at CCH that are not able to go and play college football, will never get to experience a "TRUE HOME GAME" under the lights on Friday night; there's nothing better! Every iron heart young football player knows that true traditional High School football occurs on Friday night. Playing on Saturday interferes with the youth programs, possible college visits, and it takes away that extra recovery day for the players. Maybe they should have put the lights in with the grotto project. Get some lights and let the boys enjoy the true traditional High School Football experience while they can. That's my free opinion.

"The light bulb, in particular, profoundly changed human existence by illuminating the night and making it hospitable to a wide range of human activity. The electric light, one of the everyday conveniences that most affects our lives."

Make use of great creations!

tra⋅di⋅tion  /trəˈdɪʃən/ [truh-dish-uhn]

–noun

1. the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation, esp. by word of mouth or by practice: a story that has come down to us by popular tradition.

2. something that is handed down: the traditions of the Eskimos.

3. a long-established or inherited way of thinking or acting: The rebellious children wanted to break with traditions of their faith.

4. a continuing pattern of culture beliefs or practices.

5. a customary or characteristic method or manner: The winner took a victory lap in the usual track tradition.

Now LTG, I'm not saying anybody is "wrong" here, but for the sake of argument, I could say that most other high schoolers never experience a "TRUE HOME GAME" in the Saturday afternoon sun...they're always opting to play under the lights instead. I wouldn't doubt that there are a few Cov Cath football alums out there who would've preferred Friday nights, but I've never met one. The vast majority of us like our Saturday day-games. That's why I'd call it a tradition.

College programs play Saturday afternoon games all the time...NFL does Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays. Most high school "bowl" games are on Saturdays. What's wrong with Cov Cath doing it their way?

I'd say that money has little to no impact on the decision.

It has more to do with it than you think... The field upgrade funding was included in the new school building's 5-year capital campaign that they worked VERY hard for. Look at their press box though...sub-par electric, no HVAC, and the catwalk for the camera men is frightening to say the least. There's also the terrible bathroom facilities under the press box, the beat-up old scoreboard, and the jacked up sound system at the stadium. The only reason those aren't getting fixed/replaced is because of money, or lack thereof. And I can tell you from work experience, stadium lights have a heck of a price tag involved...PARTICULARLY when they're being retro-fitted to a facility. I would guarantee that they can completely replace all of those things for less than the cost of lights for the field.

It has more to do with it than you think... The field upgrade funding was included in the new school building's 5-year capital campaign that they worked VERY hard for. Look at their press box though...sub-par electric, no HVAC, and the catwalk for the camera men is frightening to say the least. There's also the terrible bathroom facilities under the press box, the beat-up old scoreboard, and the jacked up sound system at the stadium. The only reason those aren't getting fixed/replaced is because of money, or lack thereof. And I can tell you from work experience, stadium lights have a heck of a price tag involved...PARTICULARLY when they're being retro-fitted to a facility. I would guarantee that they can completely replace all of those things for less than the cost of lights for the field.

They just put in a new indoor baseball facility and grotto, money is not an issue. If they want it, they can get it.

They just put in a new indoor baseball facility and grotto, money is not an issue. If they want it, they can get it.

The new athletic building has been in the works for years. Coach Krumps was squirreling away money for that while I was still in school there. Then with the grotto, they had alumni approach them with the money and ask to put in the grotto, when they found out when construction was scheduled to start on the new athletic building.

One was saved for, the other was independently donated. It's not like Cov Cath just pulled the money out of their pocket.

Most of the neighbors to the football field were there before the football field was even built or was CCH property. How would you feel if a high school football field were put in next to your property and you had to put up with constant use of the field. It is not just football games -- it is the youth leagues, soccer, track, and the loud blaring from the speakers and music played at these events. Not to mention the crowds of people looking at your back yard and anything you do. Most of the neighbors sent their kids to CCH and are supporters, but there has to be some consideration for the intrusion on their lives.

The new athletic building has been in the works for years. Coach Krumps was squirreling away money for that while I was still in school there. Then with the grotto, they had alumni approach them with the money and ask to put in the grotto, when they found out when construction was scheduled to start on the new athletic building.

One was saved for, the other was independently donated. It's not like Cov Cath just pulled the money out of their pocket.

Um, okay.