Should Cov Cath install lights?

High School football is a Friday night game. Why should CCH be allowed to be different and have other schools change their routine for them. That is absurd.

Where is it written that High School Football is a Friday game? Is it in the bible, the constitution, or even the KHSAA?

If the schools do not want to play Cov Cath because they would have to play on a Sat, then don't play them. They know when they schedule the game is on Sat, so they can not complain about it. Geez

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always wondered this, does having the CCH Saturday schedule create inconveniences not normally associated with most schools? What are the inconveniences?
Here in south central Ky our youth league plays on Saturday so I would have to miss my younger sons games.

Where is it written that High School Football is a Friday game? Is it in the bible, the constitution, or even the KHSAA?

If the schools do not want to play Cov Cath because they would have to play on a Sat, then don't play them. They know when they schedule the game is on Sat, so they can not complain about it. Geez

That is why it is called Friday Night Lights! :ohbrother:

I was told that the city wanted to approve lights as part of the Schott Building, but the jellyfish of a AD did not want to do anything.

Also there is alot more conflicts on Saturday today than there were 30 years ago.

I know of at least 4 families that must choose between High School games or the Middle School games.

Also when the field was first built,as I states earlier, football was the only team on the field and at that time the team practiced on the baseball field.

Today the soccer team has the field to about 4:00 so football has the fiels till dark.

Last nights Freshman game started at 5:30, when I got there night the varsity defence was having practice between the track and field, the middle schoolers had to practice in the mud, nothing wrong with that.

There is more people I talk who miss games on a Saturday because of their kids .

I was one for years that throught it did not make a difference, but CovCath is losing a lot of gate money playing on Saturday.

Thanks for backing some real reasons they should play on Friday night. Some people refuse to remove the blinders because of "Trradition", I have another word for it.........

Most of the Cov Cath kids are on scholarship, so they don't have weekend jobs. :p

Seriously, the lights would help. I think it'd be cool as long as the football games stay on Saturday.

As much use as the field gets now, it'd get even more use. But, I don't know how much better it'd really be. There are only so many hours that you can have somebody out there playing, and if you get lights & rent it out, you're actually creating less space & time for your teams to practice.

I just think they should allow the team/students to experience a "Home Game" on Friday night! I have seen the CCH fans, and I bet the stadium would rock twice as hard.

One negative about Saturday games, most of the time the entire coaching staff for the following weeks game can attend, instead of frosh coaches scouting. Big disadvantage, IMO. A lot can be learned from seeing a team live, opposed to on film.

One advantage is that you can attend whichever game you prefer on Friday night. So that negates the "disadvantage."

And actually, by playing on Saturdays, you can have the varsity coaching staff go see one team & the other coaches go see another.

And since we don't have lights, it's impossible to have practice while other teams are playing under the lights. :p

One advantage is that you can attend whichever game you prefer on Friday night. So that negates the "disadvantage."

And actually, by playing on Saturdays, you can have the varsity coaching staff go see one team & the other coaches go see another.

And since we don't have lights, it's impossible to have practice while other teams are playing under the lights. :p

Opposing teams can see, on average, 5 CCH home games.

Surely CCH won't go to see one team on Friday nights for half the season when they need to scout their next opponent???

How can you say that a team can scout their opponent for the following week AND scout CCH for the coming weeks, is not a disadvantage for CCH? There's a reason you only exchange the prior two week's films and not the entire season.

Concede and be done with it, CC. :D

It's simply more energy on Friday nights. The student body is more excited, because the weekend has arrived, less students having to miss the game because of weekend jobs, and families that have younger kids in youth football, and weekend fall baseball would not have to decide or split ways to be with both athletes. There's several pro's and cons of playing on Saturday, but the real tradition is "Friday Night Lights".

More energy? I don't think there's anything at all to prove that the team's "energy" has suffered because of games played on Saturdays. Historically, I surely don't think their record would reflect that. And I think the Colonel Crazies are doing just fine when it comes to "energy" on Saturdays. Seriously, Cov Cath's student section has been written up in USA Today. I'm pretty sure providing "energy" for the game is not going to be a problem for them.

That is why it is called Friday Night Lights! :ohbrother:

It's actually called "High School Football". It's nicknamed "Friday Night Lights".

And yes, it's a popular nickname, but usually when I'm talking to folks, I say, "I'm going to the Beechwood/Holy Cross football game tonight," - not, "I'm going to the Beechwood/Holy Cross Friday night lights tonight."

Besides, I don't see anybody whining when they get invited to play in a Saturday bowl game.

I just think they should allow the team/students to experience a "Home Game" on Friday night! I have seen the CCH fans, and I bet the stadium would rock twice as hard.

I was at the Cov Cath/Beechwood home game on Friday night, under the lights in '07. They brought them in just for the occasion. It was fun, but nothing all that special. It certainly wasn't rocking any harder than it would have been 18 hours later.

I believe lights would be part of a total rehab of stands, press box and sound system and I think 250 -350,000 for lights

Here are some concrete numbers:

The lights for the NKU soccer stadium cost $565,000. That's just the physical lights & poles themselves, craned in, and anchored in place. The electric package is give or take another $50,000.

Just for giggles, I talked to the PM for the electrician on the job and asked what he thought about putting lights in at the Cov Cath stadium (he's a local guy and is familiar with Wooten Stadium). He laughed and said, "You could add at least 50 on to whatever I'd be charging." ...and I'm pretty sure he was talking about thousands.

So those figures are: $565,000 + $50,000 + $50,000 = $665,000. That doesn't even start to look at a blind for the neighbors' yards. So you add that and your creeping up on three-quarters of a million dollars. That takes an awful lot of youth league field rentals to pay off...

For those who feel CovCaht has to have lights on their field:

1) Who paid to put them up on your high school field?

2) Who pay's for the eletric to light the field and maintain the lights?

3) Who pay's the electric bill for the lights during practice?

Just curious?