Should Cov Cath install lights?

I know that Highlands rents their field to flag football leagues and other soccer leagues. This goes on during the winter it seems like. Or late winter. Those are two that I can think of but I'm sure there may be others. The revenue would help pay for the lights.

Oh not much, it would just allow the soccer, baseball and football high school teams and the middle school football team to be able to use the artificial turf after dark. If there are no scheduling problems for the use of the field, then that wouldn't be a benefit. If the football coach sees no benefit in getting to practice under lights in preparation for an away game to be played under the lights, that wouldn't be a possible benefit either.

You guys might be shocked at how much the field gets used right now without the lights. Its non-stop. CCH is making money off of the field. Baseball uses it in the winter and early spring when the grass it wet. Soccer teams use it year round. Lacrosse teams use it. Football uses it even when its slightly dark. People walk around the track while activities are going on. The two middle school football teams use it.

So its not like the lack of lights are restricting it to football only.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys might be shocked at how much the field gets used right now without the lights. Its non-stop. CCH is making money off of the field. Baseball uses it in the winter and early spring when the grass it wet. Soccer teams use it year round. Lacrosse teams use it. Football uses it even when its slightly dark. People walk around the track while activities are going on. The two middle school football teams use it.

So its not like the lack of lights are restricting it to football only.

:sssh::sssh::sssh:

The one problem you CAN run into is feeling like you must rent it out to other organizations just to help pay for it. Sometimes that leads to , say, your baseball team getting kicked off the field when its too wet to get on real grass simply because of your desire to rent it it out to 10 year old soccer players.

It's simply more energy on Friday nights. The student body is more excited, because the weekend has arrived, less students having to miss the game because of weekend jobs, and families that have younger kids in youth football, and weekend fall baseball would not have to decide or split ways to be with both athletes. There's several pro's and cons of playing on Saturday, but the real tradition is "Friday Night Lights".

Does anyone know if Notre Dame Academy is getting lights on their new field?

Was at the NDA vs St. Henry soccer game tonight (BTW NDA won 2-1) and asked the question to Sister Paulann and she told me that while it looks like the soccer field will be ready by the end of October, there will be NO LIGHTS ON THE NDA FIELD!

I was told by someone else at the game, that the good sister at the Heights do not want lights on the field!

To my knowledge, the Colonels have never lost a state championship game. That late in the season, it gets dark early. Where do they practice, in the gym? I know that in late November, it is common to see the lights on at David Cecil Memorial well into the evening. Having lights would seem as beneficial as having a turf field. You know the light divides the day, so break on through to the other side.

While I have not been to every CovCath football game since the 1967 season, I have enjoyed my Saturday afternoons watching the Colonels play on what has become the Traditional football game day at CovCath, Saturday!

By playing Saturday afternoons, a lot of other local HS teams get some money from me and a lot of other CovCath fans, as our Friday night are open, and I attend a lot of other schools football games as I know a lot of my friends do!

Would I like to have lights? Yes, but I would like to continue to play some games especially late in the season when the weather turn colder on Saturdays!

Edited by Theoldguy
Typo

It's simply more energy on Friday nights. The student body is more excited, because the weekend has arrived, less students having to miss the game because of weekend jobs, and families that have younger kids in youth football, and weekend fall baseball would not have to decide or split ways to be with both athletes. There's several pro's and cons of playing on Saturday, but the real tradition is "Friday Night Lights".

Everything you list would be on the "+" side of the equation.