Should Cov Cath install lights?

It has more to do with it than you think... The field upgrade funding was included in the new school building's 5-year capital campaign that they worked VERY hard for. Look at their press box though...sub-par electric, no HVAC, and the catwalk for the camera men is frightening to say the least. There's also the terrible bathroom facilities under the press box, the beat-up old scoreboard, and the jacked up sound system at the stadium. The only reason those aren't getting fixed/replaced is because of money, or lack thereof. And I can tell you from work experience, stadium lights have a heck of a price tag involved...PARTICULARLY when they're being retro-fitted to a facility. I would guarantee that they can completely replace all of those things for less than the cost of lights for the field.

I guess safety is not a priority there!

Would the traditional folks prefer Cov Cath go back to the grass field and leather single bar helmets? If you have never met a Cov Cath football alum out there who would've preferred Friday nights, it's possibly because they never got to experience it. The Cov Cath players should at least have the option. You are right, there is no right or wrong in this, because Cov cath will have lights whenever they decide to do so, and I am sure they will get only the best.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh...I see, one of the many who think Cov Cath has money laying around to spend. Think what you'd like, I suppose.:rolleyes:

Never said it was "laying around". I simply said that if they want it, they can get it. Which means money is not really an issue.

You've already proven that with your comment about saving money and donations. Krumps hasn't cut back on much to save that money.

I would vote for getting lights. However, I would also vote to keep the tradition and play on Saturday afternoons.

I would support the lights if they were used to support youth programs & other sports.

Covington Catholic football should remain on Saturdays, though.

Edited by ColonelCrazy

I am not trying to stir the spot too strongly as I have played in the area and have many of good friends that played at CCH but respectfully High School football is a Friday night event. Saturday games are a disruption to most people and Cov Cath should not hide behind the "tradition" excuse. They should get lights or play all away games.

Friday nights in the Fall are for HS Football. Saturdays are for JV Football, College Football and Soccer. I for one think you would see attendance go up if they played on Friday nights.

You think the attendance would go up if they played on Friday nights? You realize that, by being one of the few HS teams to play on Saturday afternoons, that HS football fans have only 1 game to go to, right?

Nobody is saying you can't have Saturday games just because you get lights. Heck, look at most colleges. If you had lights, you could play either Friday or Saturday. Your little league could play games on the "Big" field. What a thrill for the little guys. Your soccer team could play at night. Winter practices could last longer. All kinds of other events could take place. You could rent the facility to other sports groups for use at night.

Just some thoughts.

Great post. I think the lights for other sports & youth leagues is a great idea. The problem is it is a lot of money.

Most of the neighbors to the football field were there before the football field was even built or was CCH property. How would you feel if a high school football field were put in next to your property and you had to put up with constant use of the field. It is not just football games -- it is the youth leagues, soccer, track, and the loud blaring from the speakers and music played at these events. Not to mention the crowds of people looking at your back yard and anything you do. Most of the neighbors sent their kids to CCH and are supporters, but there has to be some consideration for the intrusion on their lives.

:cry:

I have always wondered this, does having the CCH Saturday schedule create inconveniences not normally associated with most schools? What are the inconveniences?

The only inconvenience is that you miss a lot of college football. Also, you have to leave the game early every once in a while if you're in a wedding. For example, my brother got married during the Beechwood / CCH game @ CCH and I had to leave at halftime.

I guess safety is not a priority there!

Would the traditional folks prefer Cov Cath go back to the grass field and leather single bar helmets? If you have never met a Cov Cath football alum out there who would've preferred Friday nights, it's possibly because they never got to experience it. The Cov Cath players should at least have the option. You are right, there is no right or wrong in this, because Cov cath will have lights whenever they decide to do so, and I am sure they will get only the best.

Covington Catholic football alumni have played plenty of games on Friday nights in a packed house.

Never said it was "laying around". I simply said that if they want it, they can get it. Which means money is not really an issue.

You've already proven that with your comment about saving money and donations. Krumps hasn't cut back on much to save that money.

It's apparent you know very little about Krumps & the way funding works at CCH. Marge Schott donated a significant amount of money to Covington Catholic in '04 through her foundation, right before she passed. Also, the Berger family has donated a significant amount of money to "restore" the baseball field. Covington Catholic doesn't have a stack of cash in the office that they're fighting about how to spend it.

I am not trying to stir the spot too strongly as I have played in the area and have many of good friends that played at CCH but respectfully High School football is a Friday night event. Saturday games are a disruption to most people and Cov Cath should not hide behind the "tradition" excuse. They should get lights or play all away games.

If they're a disruption, don't go.

Why can't the youth leagues play at the Big Field without lights??? Granted, you could get more games in, with the lights....but most youth organizations - given a choice - would prefer to pay less and use the field during the day, instead of paying more to use it at night.

Bottom-line may simply be whether or not CC can AFFORD to buy lights.

Good luck to CC...hope they get it worked out.

You are kidding right?

Maybe the Marge Schott Foundation can help out. Talk with Bill.

What's in it for CCH considering the amount of money that it would require?

I know that Highlands rents their field to flag football leagues and other soccer leagues. This goes on during the winter it seems like. Or late winter. Those are two that I can think of but I'm sure there may be others. The revenue would help pay for the lights.

What's in it for CCH considering the amount of money that it would require?

Oh not much, it would just allow the soccer, baseball and football high school teams and the middle school football team to be able to use the artificial turf after dark. If there are no scheduling problems for the use of the field, then that wouldn't be a benefit. If the football coach sees no benefit in getting to practice under lights in preparation for an away game to be played under the lights, that wouldn't be a possible benefit either.