A Different Kind of Drug Problem

cch5432

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I hear people say the good old days, I think they are thinking more about the times when families sat down and had dinner together every evening, times where you could leave your door unlocked at night, times when mothers were able to stay home and take care of the children, and didn't have to work to help support the family, when children could play outside for hours and parents not worry where they might be.
My Mother, Father, and Grandparents doors are all unlocked right now. Because of sports we weren't always home at night....but every night we were you can bet we had a sit down dinner. During the summer we got on our bikes when we woke up and were home in time for supper. My Mother didn't worry about where we were because she knew we were either at a friends house or playing in the woods somewhere. I'm 26...

To me the problem is that most things are sensationalized today more so than in the past.

Nice thread.

I can tell you this. I moved away from where I grew up then moved back here in Eastern KY. I was gone for about 13 or so years. There is zero doubt the drug problem is a whole new beast here. Pot has always been around and grown way out in the county where nobody is going to come looking. The pain pills and meth is a whole new beast. There were zero pharmacies broken into here while I was growing up. There have been 3 robbed within the plast week while the power went out in town.

When I hear people say the good old days, I think they are thinking more about the times when families sat down and had dinner together every evening, times where you could leave your door unlocked at night, times when mothers were able to stay home and take care of the children, and didn't have to work to help support the family, when children could play outside for hours and parents not worry where they might be.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't seem idyllic to me. It seems repressive. Woman should certainly be proud to pursue careers and education, as opposed to wearing their little aprons and have a six course meal on the table at 5 pm.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't seem idyllic to me. It seems repressive. Woman should certainly be proud to pursue careers and education, as opposed to wearing their little aprons and have a six course meal on the table at 5 pm.

Your leap might accurate if LRCW had said they had to stay home. The phrasing used was they were able to. Meaning they could choose to stay home and be a mother if they wanted to.

Your statement seems to find fault in a woman wanting to stay home and raise a family. Something that very, very few families can do these days.

I don't believe our country has any worse of a drug problem now than it did 30 years ago. People are simply using different drugs. The "war on drugs" has pretty much been a failure IMO.
Totally agree on the war on drugs. I also agree that the drug problem back in the 60s and 70s was as bad. The problem I see today is there are some drugs that are much worse than what was being used "back in the day".

Which is why they should be legalized. :D
:thumb:

Your leap might accurate if LRCW had said they had to stay home. The phrasing used was they were able to. Meaning they could choose to stay home and be a mother if they wanted to.

Your statement seems to find fault in a woman wanting to stay home and raise a family. Something that very, very few families can do these days.

I know a great woman that chooses to be a stay at home mom right now. However, the family knows that they aren't going to have a lavish lifestyle. They own a very modest home, don't drive new vehicles (each of their kids drove a really old Nova to school, passed from one to the next to the next) and don't take expensive vacations. The two oldest worked their way through college and have degrees and the youngest daughter will do so this year. Families that want a stay at home parent can do it, they just can't have it all - newest house, vehicles, expensive vacations, kids that don't work during college, etc. It's a choice, as is most things in life.

If a woman (or a man, heaven forbid) wants to be the stay at home parent, I have no problem with that. However, looking back at a time in which women were expected to do so is not idyllic to me.

Different times, different era and different drugs. Claritin D is now sold behind the pharmacy counter along with any drug that has antihistime/decongestant due to meth labs. When I take my Mom to her doctor for pain medicine, he will only fill a 30 day supply because he has to monitor the usage (in other words make sure no one associated with her care, including myself or her grandchildren are 'using' her medicine).

When I was growing up we could play outside until the street lights came on and then we had to come home. Again, different era. We would never allowed this when we moved back to NKY because they had lived a more shelterd life in the military (they weren't street smart).

As far as mother's working (or having a choice to work or not to work), my Dad died when I was a baby (there was not a choice if my Mom would work/she had to). I also wished my Mom was home when I came home from school.

Totally agree on the war on drugs. I also agree that the drug problem back in the 60s and 70s was as bad. The problem I see today is there are some drugs that are much worse than what was being used "back in the day".

:thumb:

I don't know about "much worse". They weren't just using marijuana back in the day.

Both of you made giant leaps of logic to reach these equally absurd conclusions from solely LRCW's statement, FWIW.

On a related note...a bumper sticker I saw said, "Women belongs in the House (and Senate)" :D